over heating ? by crashmydaytona
Started on: 09-09-2013 10:43 AM
Replies: 12 (237 views)
Last post by: crashmydaytona on 09-12-2013 02:48 PM
crashmydaytona

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got all the oil leaks in my fiero fixed so I drove it to work today. When I was sitting in road construction the temp went up to redline. I cranked the heater on and it stopped it from getting any hotter and started to cool a little.

where do I start to try and figure out what is causing this? I am planning to change the coolant soon and wondering if it just needs a good flush. Thanks for any advise.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you hear the radiator fan go on?
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2013 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turn on the AC and see if your fan turns on, If it doesn't turn on, then check your fan relay and your fan motor. Check for water in the oil,look for a milkey brown color on the dipstick or water on the oil fill cap. Allso check for oil on the thirmistat cap. You might have a stuck thirmistat. A calsified radiator,could cause an over heating problem (but Ide say,thats probubley on the bottom of the list, unless its the OEM radiator).
crashmydaytona

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the quik responses I have been doing the 80 hours a week thing so sorry for not getting back.
The fan does not turn on when the a/c is turnd on and have never heard it come on but all i realy hear is my exhaust leaks.
What is the next step in figuring out why the fan is not coming on? Thanks again.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fan relay is in front of the left headlight. It is not real easy to get to. If you can pull the connector off, the fan terminals are the ones on each end, so if you jumper the end connectors the fan should run. If it runs then you probably have a relay problem because neither the AC or the temp switch on the engine will make it run. It is common for the connectors to melt the plastic and fall out of the connector. Larry
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad fan motor, air in the cooling system, water pump with plastic impeller, clogged radiator are the common ills of over heating.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can test the fan switch by grounding the wire to the engine. The fan should go on.

crashmydaytona

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2013 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again. My money is on the relay. The left front end of the car was wrecked when I bought it. I had to straighten it out and replace the fender bumper and headlight. I noticed the relays there but did not seem damaged. I will try and test things tonight if I have time. If it is a bad relay can they be fixed or do I just replace it?
crashmydaytona

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can not find the fan relay. I picked up a new one from napa and went to swap it out this morrning but cant find it. The only one i have around the drivers headlight is for the headlights. Do you know how many wires are going to the relay and what colors so i can trace them from the fan to the relay. Its an 86 gt It might have been relocated after the body work.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crashmydaytona:

I can not find the fan relay. I picked up a new one from napa and went to swap it out this morrning but cant find it. The only one i have around the drivers headlight is for the headlights. Do you know how many wires are going to the relay and what colors so i can trace them from the fan to the relay. Its an 86 gt It might have been relocated after the body work.

Thats your fan relay (not sure if its both..???).The headlights have an individual relay on the right and left side. Once you replace the fan relay turn on the AC and see if it kicks on, if it doesnt,then its your fan motor (replaceable for about $55).

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 09-12-2013).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
crashmydaytona

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Let's review....

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-077256.html

according to this thread the one I thought was my fan relay is the headlight primary that makes sense because when I unplugged it the headlights no longer moved up and down. The only other thing in that area is a large relay half white half black with four larger gage wires that does not match the new relay that I bought at all. The reason I am looking for the number of wires and color is the left corner was wrecked when I bought the car the wire harness was cut in half and had to be rewired. It is possible the relay was destroyed in the wreck and I just have some cut wires hanging somewhere without the relay attached anymore. Anyone know how many wires and what color go from the fan to the relay. Thanks for helping

crashmydaytona

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

crashmydaytona

567 posts
Member since Apr 2013
I answered my own question. napa gave me the wrong relay. I will pick up the right one today and see what happens. Thanks for helping.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock