which relay is the fan relay? by fst4rsc
Started on: 09-30-2006 10:45 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: fst4rsc on 10-01-2006 09:23 PM
fst4rsc

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2006 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fst4rscSend a Private Message to fst4rscDirect Link to This Post
I suppose I could study the wiring diagrams but its more fun to ask here... The fan is not coming on in my 86 coupe, I suspect the relay. There are two relays on the driver side front by the headlight. One is on the side rail, the other is on the front bumper rail. Which one runs the fan and what does the other one do?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2006 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
The one on the very front behind the bumper is the cooling fan relay. The other relay on the side is your primary headlight relay...
308 Ferrari Kit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2006 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 308 Ferrari KitSend a Private Message to 308 Ferrari KitDirect Link to This Post
It's the large relay down below and in front of the left headlight. You might be able to
remove it with the headlight up, but I had to remove the headlight assembly to get to
the relay the easy way.
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Does the fan come on when you turn on the A/C?
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
fst4rsc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fst4rscSend a Private Message to fst4rscDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so I started testing stuff. The fan works, and the fan relay works. So much for the easy fix! I topped off the coolant, burped the system, and let it run to get to 220. Then tested the fan coolant switch, infinite resistance, (open). I figure that must be bad because the car had been overheating and I have noticed the fan not running. As long as the car is rolling down the road, the temp stays below the red, but when stopped, the temp climbs.

I went to Autozone. The parts guy to tried to tell me that the temperautre sensor he pulled from the back runs the fan. I told him no, because the temp -switch- is a one wire deal, not a two wire, and that there are three temperature devices on this engine. After convincing him to dig a little more he did come out with a one wire device that looks like it will fit except the electrical connector is not right, its a spade, not a round coax looking thing. I go to Checker and they dont have anything in their system. Finally, Im looking at the Fiero Store and they show a 4 cyl switch, and 3 choices for v6 switches. The 4 cyl switch with AC does not look like mine (even though I have AC). Mine looks like the v6 ones and the 4 cyl w/o AC as far as the conector goes.

http://www.secureleadercom.com/fsstore/default.asp?searchBit=1&searchType=t&searchString=fan+switch&howSearch=AND&searchfield=inetsdesc

Could the difference be between the single speed fan and the dual speed fan on that 4 cyl with AC swicth? BTW I have the single speed fan.

So Im interested in the 185 fan switch. It says for v6 but looks like that should work. Do you agree?
Then I think I might go for that 180 thermostat. Advice?

Thanks Everyone for your help.
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
the 84 ac siwtch is for the 2 speed fan.
the other one is the same as the v6.
don;t do the 180 tstat, it will hurt your mpg. leave that at 195, and get the rodney dickman fan switch that comes on at 210 I think it is.
interceptor429

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for interceptor429Send a Private Message to interceptor429Direct Link to This Post
hey indiana_resto_guy ,what if the fan dont come on with the a/c on,mine doesnt come on with the a/c,whats the cause,sorry to bust in ,but this would answer my problem ,thanks keith
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by interceptor429:

hey indiana_resto_guy ,what if the fan dont come on with the a/c on,mine doesnt come on with the a/c,whats the cause,sorry to bust in ,but this would answer my problem ,thanks keith

Then you jumper the fan to check it's condition, if it runs, replace the relay. If it does not run, replace the fan motor.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by interceptor429:

First, unplug the wire from the fan temperature switch on the engine. Ground the wire through a clip lead or a piece of wire.
Does the fan come on then? That verifies that the relay and motor are good.

The A/C control head has a printed circuit board on the top. Occasionally, the trace that supplies the "turn on" circuit for the fan relay will burn up.
This circuit is essentially "teed" into the wire that comes from the temperature switch. Either one can turn on the fan, independent of the other.
fst4rsc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fst4rscSend a Private Message to fst4rscDirect Link to This Post
I forgot about looking at Rodneys'. After thinking about it too, I would rather the engine run a little hotter, it already runs on the rich side (all the mods I did) so I should stay with 195 stock thermostat. Then going with Rodney's 210 on and 200 off switch should keep the engine in better control closer to that temperature range, if it indeed operates in that range.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock