I give up! Cold staring issue 86 GT by tonycampbell86gt
Started on: 08-16-2013 09:44 PM
Replies: 7 (161 views)
Last post by: tonycampbell86gt on 08-18-2013 02:26 PM
tonycampbell86gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tonycampbell86gtClick Here to visit tonycampbell86gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to tonycampbell86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, I give up. I have searched, and researched, both the forum and the web, and I need assistance!

My 86 gt had always started cold (hunt idle, die if put into gear quickly, run rough maybe rich for first 5 minutes or so). Had the engine rebuilt after spun bearing, still does it.

I just replaced the air charge sensor (on the airbox), and the coolant temperature sensor, still does the same crap!!!

I was going to replace the cold start sensor, but from what I have read, it only fires during cranking, and wouldn't have any effect after starting.....

I am open to any suggestions.....

Tony

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are correct about the cold start injector..... it's not the problem. Do you have an automatic transmission?
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds sort of like something is wrong when it is running open loop, when it goes to closed loop things are good. When in open loop the MAP sensor sets in an injector pulse width that is programmed in, so I would check the MAP and TPI (I think) I am no expret for sure. Larry
tonycampbell86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2013 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tonycampbell86gtClick Here to visit tonycampbell86gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to tonycampbell86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it is automatic.

I will try the MAP.....

TPI - Throttle Position Sensor?

Tony
hobodude34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hobodude34Send a Private Message to hobodude34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
check grounds? TPS i would think it would cause a problem all the time not just within 5 min, what did you set your base timing at?
AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 on checking/adding grounds - my 86 GT had the same problems, I added one like in this thread ground fix and one from the pump to the deck hindge (missing original). Starts right away & no stall when put in gear now, runs smoother also.
a gem

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for a gemSend a Private Message to a gemEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had that problem, turned out the distributor cap needed to be replaced and moisture caused the problem.
tonycampbell86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tonycampbell86gtClick Here to visit tonycampbell86gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to tonycampbell86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replaced the MAP, car starts and runs good now! Solid idle around 900 rpms, starts right up, think it was the culprit.

As to the grounds, I already have 4-gauge from the block to the decklid hinge, and from the hinge to the battery.

Thanks for the quick and helpful advice!

Tony

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock