Getting it back on the road, several questions by lorennerol
Started on: 08-08-2013 12:55 PM
Replies: 12 (331 views)
Last post by: lorennerol on 08-09-2013 02:09 PM
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's time to get my 87 blue GT back on the road and I have a few questions.

- The headlight motors: I searched first but didn't find an FAQ on R&R for them. Can someone kindly point me in the right direction? My plan was to purchase already-rebuilt motors from the Fiero Store, unless doing the rebuild is very easy.
- The radio: It won't go above about 106.9 on FM, AM is just noise, and it's picking up noise from the electrical system in the car that corresponds to engine RPMs. Best to just ditch it and go with something new?
- Dew wipes: Same as headlight motors. Is there an FAQ for R&R?
- Power window motors. Same.
- The power door locks require multiple button presses to complete a lock/unlock. Thoughts?
- Since I'm going to have the doors apart to do the previously listed things, is there anything else I should do at the same time? I just want to have all the parts on hand so I can get everything done quickly.
- Tail light: Someone punched a hole through the left half a few years back. I see a replacement right at the Fiero Store, but not the left. Is there a source for these?
- Two-parter: It has an after-market sunroof installed by the original owner when it was new. It leaks like heck and the car is store outside, so needs fixed. My plan is to take it to a body shop and have them replace it or do whatever should be done, and install a new headliner at the same time. Any thoughts about the sunroof appreciated, and I'm looking for a recommendation on which headliner to get. Quality trumps price.

Mechanically it's pretty sound already- I had it under the care of a mechanic who was the president of the local Fiero Owner's Club and he put a lot of work into it.

Thanks in advance for your expertise and knowledge. I love this little car (it was my college graduation gift to myself in 1991) and I'm stoked to get it back on the road. I have a 2008 Saturn Sky Redline, which has a lot more power, but in several ways the Fiero is more fun to drive.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Swap in a factory sunroof.

Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can give you an opinion on your '2-parter'. The roof panel can be replaced, and you can put it back the way it was. No more sunroof! All Fiero tops are removable (with some effort) and replaceable. You can search this subject and find many threads.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where is it leaking (sunroof)? I probably could be fixed, so as it doesn't leak, but see about swapping in a factory hardtop or sunroof... or t-tops!
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Where is it leaking (sunroof)? I probably could be fixed, so as it doesn't leak, but see about swapping in a factory hardtop or sunroof... or t-tops!

Pretty much everywhere: The seals were never very good, it has no drains, and I caulked the thing shut a few years back. A factory sunroof or T-tops would be awesome.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just did a rebuild of Gen 2 motors, the are really easy to work with, I suggest doing it yourself and save the cash for other areas.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Power Door Locks: actually, the door lock mechanism gets stiff over time and is hard to use, power or not. The lube drys out and the sliders are hard to push....so you have to get in there, clean and re-lube the pieces, which reduces friction for the power solenoid.
sniper69

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sniper69Send a Private Message to sniper69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For dew wipes - diyStu has some nice ones for sale. If your looking to do it yourself - here is a thread (with pics) showing how one member did it //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129107.html

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any advice on where/how to find a roof with a factory sunroof? I'm striking out. FWIW. I'm in the Seattle area.
kikinz24

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

Any advice on where/how to find a roof with a factory sunroof? I'm striking out. FWIW. I'm in the Seattle area.

Yea keep an eye on craigslist. Junk yards . And ebay. And the mall section here... they're harder to find but can be found. Mine hast the exact sunroof yours has. It was a "dealer added" sunroof.. luckily it doesn't leak.. if it ever does . Ill probably just get a solid roof a heck of a lot easier to come by
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found quite a few at this site/search. No clue about condition yet, though.

http://www.partshotlines.co...y&search_id=36918210
PFF
System Bot
BlackEmrald

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Post a wanted ad in the mall section for the entire set up. I'm sure someone has a parts car they wouldn't mind stripping. Slim the rood will be blue though.

Great looking Fiero BTW.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackEmrald:

Great looking Fiero BTW.

Thank you. Right now it definitely looks better from a distance, but I plan to correct that. Gotta get the ship water tight though, before I start redoing the interior.

Sure appreciate this site and its knowledgeable denizens. Thank you!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock