Side scoop? by st88fiero
Started on: 08-01-2013 11:46 PM
Replies: 22 (1154 views)
Last post by: jaybeezi on 08-08-2013 04:04 AM
st88fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for st88fieroSend a Private Message to st88fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to have a Holly scoop on my old Fiero,I dont think that is around anymore but I seethe FS sells them, does anybody have that?

Is it a quality part?

And does it really add any performance improvement whatsoever?

I probably won't put on because I want to keep car as stock, but if it made at least a little performance difference at might throw one on when the car is not at a show,thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They don't do anything except make the driver feel that their car "looks" modified.... kind of like adding performance stickers, racing stripes, raised wing stands and giant exhaust tips AKA grapefruit launchers.. But hey, that is part of the fun! I think the stock intake manifold is more of a restriction than the factory air intake system.

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 08-02-2013).]

st88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for st88fieroSend a Private Message to st88fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

They don't do anything except make the driver feel that their car "looks" modified.... kind of like adding performance stickers, racing stripes, raised wing stands and giant exhaust tips AKA grapefruit launchers.. But hey, that is part of the fun! I think the stock intake manifold is more of a restriction than the factory air intake system.

So the gigantic FIERO sticker I was going to put across the hood and the spoiler on the roof is not going to make any difference, darn....;-)
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only true performance add-on is to put numbers on the doors.
That's what make em go fast................................
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a knock-off of the "Holley" scoop. I actually like mine because it DOESN'T read "Holley" or anything else on it - it's blank. So it looks more like a normal part that would go on the car.

If you want to have fun with it you can do like I did. I glassed a piece of mesh into the opening to keep large debris out. I then removed the water separator and sound deadener assembly that is inside the inner quarter. You'll see what this looks like if you jack up the car and look under that area. Once I removed that large assembly, I replaced it with a straight hose. Now the intake has a nice whistle sound when you let off throttle. As I go to shift and let off throttle, I get an interesting "pppssswwwiiiiiihhhhhh" sound.

Again it's all for sounds and looks. The only way to get serious performance out of the car would be as above and do something different with the upper intake plenum. It gets really restrictive after the throttle body along the neck.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by st88fiero:

So the gigantic FIERO sticker I was going to put across the hood and the spoiler on the roof is not going to make any difference, darn....;-)

Correct. For performance gains, you need to have a giant Pegasus, not Fiero sticker on the hood. The Fiero sticker has far more aerodynamic drag. With a Pegasus sticker, roller rockers, hollowed out catalytic, you can get 0-60 in less than 6 seconds with the 2.5 motor.... at least in Florida LOL !

Instead of the Holley scoop, you may want to add these instead, especially with all the flooding in certain areas. The Fiero Snorkel makes the car amphibious so you can cross over the Niagara river without wasting time on the bridge. When on dry land, it adds approximately 150 HP by forcing warm that is supposed to rise out through the vents back into the engine compartment. If you add only one scoop, you will only gain 75HP, so I would add both for balance. The Pontiac Racing sticker adds only about 10-15 HP, depending on the color.

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 08-02-2013).]

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The two mods I am going with are Frictionless Paint and Muffler Bearings...while these do not actually increase horse power they will raise your Effective Horse Power Quotient (EHPQ) so the net result is equivalent to an increase of horse power to the tune of 37%.

On a side note, I toyed with the idea of adding Piston Return Springs but found that there aren't available for the 2.8 ....Yet! As soon as The Fiero Store starts carrying them I will snap up a set

Proviso: To correctly install the muffler bearing it is vital that you have a lefthanded crescent wrench ....a right handed one will NOT work

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 08-02-2013).]

IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 92wastheyear:

*snip*

Proviso: To correctly install the muffler bearing it is vital that you have a lefthanded crescent wrench ....a right handed one will NOT work

This is not entirely correct...
You need a left handed, metric adjustable, crescent wrench.

I had the side scoop on my 88 (back in the 90's), and it was fun (for the sound) with the window rolled down...
My current 85 with 3800 does not have one.

-Dave

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 08-02-2013).]

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IFLYR22:

This is not entirely correct...
You need a left handed, metric adjustable, crescent wrench.
-Dave

Good catch. Additionally, for our friends in Canada, the Metric/English, all-in-one, adjustable Crescent Wrench may not be available. If this is the case in your area, there is a an easy fix. Pick up an English one and a Metric one...lay them one on top of the other ..and duct tape the handles together. This is a sorta jenky set-up but it will work and is a lot cheaper than than having the tool imported
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ford used to supply right handed monkey wrenches for the muffler bearings...
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Geez people.... the OP had a serious question

PFF
System Bot
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Geez people.... the OP had a serious question

Didn't the first response answer it?
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want a great sound try this...
I made this a few years ago and ran if for 2 seasons on my autocrosser.
As I mentioned, the numbers on the doors make it faster.....................

Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A "2.8L" badge.
st88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for st88fieroSend a Private Message to st88fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am so happy I put up this post, I just came home from a shi!!y day and opened this up and find myself laughing my as! off, thank you all.....I'm going for the numbers on the doors and the snorkels....funny guys...thank you for making my Friday, seriously.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never understood those "Over the roof Scoops". I was under the impression that the 2 louvers on the deck lid were to Let Hot Air OUT.
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember when I first bought my Fiero in '97, and this Forum was in its infancy. I didn't know it existed at the time, so I bought side scoops, performance chips, etc., etc. with the naive understanding that I was going to add 20+ horsepower. What a lifesaver this Forum has been for me, my 86GT, and my wallet.
Thanks, guys (and gals)!!
bb
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcguiver3:

That filter setup would be fun to have to run on the street - just to mess with people and see what looks you get.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 08-03-2013).]

mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's easy to fabricate.
2"-3" Fernco connector and a few 3" ABS fittings and the filter.
The sound is awesome.
The look speaks for itself
A great conversation starter
This is what I have now.
Although the intake is a Camaro TB mounted to the top of the stock intake manifold.

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's easy to fabricate.
2"-3" Fernco connector and a few 3" ABS fittings and the filter.
The sound is awesome.
The look speaks for itself
A great conversation starter
This is what I have now.
Although the intake is a Camaro TB mounted to the top of the stock intake manifold.

Not bad, Scoopy-Doo.... but you can't out-scoop this guy!!

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-...083425&Keyword=fiero

All he needs is a roof scoop and a hood scoop and the car will be able to fly!!

dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-...083425&Keyword=fiero

That car looks like a bug ready to jump. rear spoiler reminds me of a shopping cart, reminds me im outta tea off to the store!!!!
PFF
System Bot
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am laughing so hard right now, it's not even funny. What is wrong with you guys?
jaybeezi

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you want a great sound try this...
I made this a few years ago and ran if for 2 seasons on my autocrosser.
As I mentioned, the numbers on the doors make it faster.....................

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

That filter setup would be fun to have to run on the street - just to mess with people and see what looks you get.

Hah, I did that a few years ago but over the roof, on the street... Just for a couple days, definitely got some looks.

------------------
Jaybeezi's 3800SC Swap

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock