Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How hard is it to remove the oil pan -- while the engine is still in the car.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How hard is it to remove the oil pan -- while the engine is still in the car. by 86 Vintage Fiero
Started on: 07-25-2013 09:35 AM
Replies: 2 (356 views)
Last post by: Pyrthian on 07-25-2013 10:26 AM
86 Vintage Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 Vintage FieroSend a Private Message to 86 Vintage FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the near future, I want to remove the oil pan due to a small oil leak. Anyone that can give me info as to how it is done, please let me know, thank you......
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Four cylinder or six cylinder? Remember to always post what your Fiero actually is in every tech post.

I've had easier times removing them on the four cylinder. On 1985-1986 six cylinders, the engine has to be jacked up and supported on the harmonic balancer by a piece of wood sitting on the cradle to get to the furthest two bolts that are positioned on the "lip" of the pan. On 1987-1988 six cylinders the oil pan (and timing cover) were redesigned to be half moon shape on both ends, making removal slightly easier.

Whatever you do DO NOT get a cork replacement gasket, which is the common replacement gasket you will find. Get the proper gasket that "seats" along the flange of the pan and flattens itself against the bottom of the block. it will cost more, but works better. Even with plenty of RTV applied properly along the pan flange, you'll likely get leaks if you use cork.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...0223-2-042035-2.html

an old post with step-by-step for V6 oil pan

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock