Started on: 10-07-2003 01:41 PM
Replies: 41
Last post by: Pyrthian on 10-21-2003 03:20 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2003 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Assuming that a bearing replacement will solve your proble-
To drop the oil pan (V6 engines)
1. disconnect battery cable
2. remove cables from starter then remove the 2 bolts that hold starter in place and remove the starter. Save the spacer.
3. Disconnect front engine mount to cradle bolts, shock mount bolt and dogbone bolt.
4. Using a small piece of plywood at the bottom, and placing a floor jack under the oil pan, raise the engine up about 5-6".
5. Place a 12" piece of 2 x 4 between the harmonic balancer and the cradle.
6. Lower the engine down SLOWLY and let it rest on the 2 x 4 under the balancer. Don't worry it won't hurt anything. I've done this many times
7. Remove the front engine mount bracket bolts and remove the bracket from the block.
8. remove all of the oil pan holding bolts/nuts.
9. drop the oil pan down.
Assembly is the reverse of the above but be sure to apply a dab of RTV gasket sealer where the oilpan gaskets meet or you will have a leak. It's about a 2-3 hour job.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

IP: Logged
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2003 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yup - that was pretty much it! I also undid the ehxuast downpipe, and the springs on that side, to lower the exhaust pipe for a little more room. not entirely necessary, but made for more room when putting the pan back with wet silicone. Not a job to be scared to do. It really is that easy. Much easier than valve covers. Anyways, sofar, the bearing is happy. but time will tell. gona drain the dino oil, and get back to Mobil 1 synth sometime this week (bearing break-in....)
IP: Logged
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock