88 Formula Back up switch works lights don't come on by darcfyre
Started on: 06-30-2013 09:50 AM
Replies: 10 (304 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 11-11-2013 03:09 AM
darcfyre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darcfyreSend a Private Message to darcfyreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 Formula that had 46k on it. 5-Speed. Original eng. and trans. Bought new backup switch because light could be jumped at switch and work. New switch, they still don't work.
Pull switch, press ball, switch works, lights come on. Anything I can do?

------------------
Away from his arms in the open field
A man shall fare not a foot;
For never he knows when the need for a spear
Shall arise on the distant road
Hovamol 38 "The Sayings of Odin"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darcfyre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darcfyreSend a Private Message to darcfyreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did I post in the wrong forum?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are in the right forum. Your timing is not so good because a lot of Fiero people were in Indianapolis having a car show.....so they missed your post.

Welcome to the Forum!... .... Take a good look at that connector to confirm something is not bent.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-2-098651.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-03-2013).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a little "tab" inside the tranny that moves into position, and pushes the ball in, activating the lights.
I suspect that tab is not moving as far as it should. A dead giveaway would be if the tranny tries to jump out of reverse when you back up a hill.
I had a "rebuilt" Getrag with similar issues.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Disconnect the shift cables and shift the tranny into reverse at the tranny. Does the light now come on? If so your shifter adjustment was out of wack.

http://www.autozone.com/aut..._/P-0900c152801dac9a
darcfyre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darcfyreSend a Private Message to darcfyreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you both, I will check it out later today!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Disconnect the shift cables and shift the tranny into reverse at the tranny. Does the light now come on? If so your shifter adjustment was out of wack.

Yeah. That's what the seller who sold me the POS "rebuilt" Getrag told me, too.
I hope your luck is better than mine.

Edit - Great link on adjustment info.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-04-2013).]

darcfyre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darcfyreSend a Private Message to darcfyreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did my best to figure this out. As I said, with the switch plugged into the harness pressing the ball on the bottom of the switch turns the backup lights on. So it won't be a connector issue inside the plug og the switch. I has to be that the tab in the transmission is not pressing the ball from the inside of the transmission. I though we were onto something with the cable adjustment. But in re-reading this one of the signs is supposed to be not staying in reverse going uphill. My driveway goes a whole "story" nearly, downward. I back out and uphill every morning and it never has a problem. I tried to follow the instructions in the links. I am assuming the "5-Speed 282 Muncie" is the Getrag. Is that correct?
Also I have trouble with #5 "Place the pin in the floor shift mechanism is third gear." That's a copy and past quote. I don't understand it.
Anyone know what it means? IF that's the right instructions for the Getrag. I did try loosing the nut on the "shift cable" and moving it around to see if I could get the backup light to come on but had no luck.
Thanks for the time people have spent trying to help, and thanks in advance for any help with my additional questions. Using the wealth of information in these forums I have fixed every single issue with my '88 Formula except this one.

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To answer a couple of your questions:

1. Yes... the 282 is the 5 speed Getrag on the V6 cars after mid 1986;

2. The pin that's referred to in step 5 is described better here: www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives...120111-2-108049.html

Lastly, since you know the circuit works fine then you could get a machine shop to machine perhaps 0.010" off the shoulder of the switch so that it can thread in slightly deeper (or likewise remove any washers that might be under the switch). The only other alternative is to tear into the transmission.

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 11-09-2013).]

darcfyre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2013 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darcfyreSend a Private Message to darcfyreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well look at me! I'm special! I've got back up lights now!

Taking the advice to have the switch nut shoulder shaved off, I'm pretty handy with and file and a vice. It took a good 1/16 of an inch to get it to go into the housing enough to push the ball switch.
I had to put in in and take it out three times to get it filed off enough. Good thing it's easy to get to.

In the course of this I kept knocking the transmission filler plug out. I examined it closely and came up with a fix. I took a stainless steel washer and put on the anvil part of the vise and chiseled a quick cut into it in one place with a hammer. Then I slid the washer onto the plug under the rocking lever. This made extra thickness for the lever to push down and out so the plug swelled more and hugs into the hole really tightly.

Every one may already know that or others may have made it known, I just wanted to give back for the help you have all given me.

Dave the Weekender!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darcfyre:

In the course of this I kept knocking the transmission filler plug out. I examined it closely and came up with a fix. I took a stainless steel washer and put on the anvil part of the vise and chiseled a quick cut into it in one place with a hammer. Then I slid the washer onto the plug under the rocking lever. This made extra thickness for the lever to push down and out so the plug swelled more and hugs into the hole really tightly.

Something like THIS?
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock