1st Gear Problems by Ton0219
Started on: 04-16-2010 03:04 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Red355SBC84 on 08-10-2010 05:55 PM
Ton0219

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ton0219Send a Private Message to Ton0219Direct Link to This Post
Ok so off and on the 1st gear is a pain.... I could put it into first coming out of my driveway no problems pops in and you actually hear it pop in... Im in a parking lot reversing out of a parking spot go to put it into 1st and it wont go. I have to let the clutch out and push it back in to pop it in 1st. Finally sometimes from a light i will go to put it into 1st and it doesnt want to go in... Sometimes ill push it into 1st thinking its in and its not it starts to rattle or whatever so ill have to let the clutch out and push it back down and retry and it will pop in most the time. 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th are Great no problems whats so ever its just 1st is being a pain on and off...Any Ideas ?? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
The first thing to try is new tranny fluid. GM recommends Synchromesh fluid. When I changed over from Mobil 1 to Synchromesh the difference was really quite incredible. Good luck

Arn
Jonesy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
either that or maby your shifter cable needs adjusting/replacing. I had a similar problem with my 4spd many years ago. I had new shifter cables put in and its been smooth shifting ever since.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 04-16-2010).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
If you try adjusting the shifter cables, here's how:

1. remove the shifter console by unscrewing the four 7mm screws under the ashtrays, the shifter knob, and lifting it off.

2. have a look at the picture below and you'll see that I've stuck a small screwdriver in a hole on the side of the shifter mechanism. The screwdriver goes through two or three holes that all have to align and will go all the way through to the other side when the shifter is properly placed in third gear (if I recall correctly). Use anything that will fit, and pin the shifter into place.

3. Next go to the tranny end of the cables: If you've got a Getrag, then the only cable that's adjustable is the cable on top... just loosen the nut and let the cable sit where ever it wants on the lever, then tighten the cable nut again. If you have an Isuzu, then do the same for both cable nuts since they're both adjustable.

4. Once you're done, unpin the shifter and try it out.

Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Hey Bloozberry, can this trick be combined with a Rodney Dickman shifter bushing kit?
Ton0219

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ton0219Send a Private Message to Ton0219Direct Link to This Post
I did what you said bloozberry it helped a lot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

Hey Bloozberry, can this trick be combined with a Rodney Dickman shifter bushing kit?

I'm not sure what the RD shifter bushing kit does... if it just restores the shifter pivot points then I suppose it can since it's the factory method of adjusting the cables.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post

Bloozberry

7760 posts
Member since Jan 2009

Originally posted by Ton0219:

I did what you said bloozberry it helped a lot

Awesome. I would take Arn's advice too if I were you... switch to synchromesh... your wallet won't like you, but your Fiero will love you!
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2010 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Nice
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2010 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Shift Cable Adjustment

http://docs.google.com/file...VkMjAxMTU4MTYz&hl=en

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 06-20-2010).]

Red355SBC84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red355SBC84Send a Private Message to Red355SBC84Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

If you try adjusting the shifter cables, here's how:

1. remove the shifter console by unscrewing the four 7mm screws under the ashtrays, the shifter knob, and lifting it off.

2. have a look at the picture below and you'll see that I've stuck a small screwdriver in a hole on the side of the shifter mechanism. The screwdriver goes through two or three holes that all have to align and will go all the way through to the other side when the shifter is properly placed in third gear (if I recall correctly). Use anything that will fit, and pin the shifter into place.

3. Next go to the tranny end of the cables: If you've got a Getrag, then the only cable that's adjustable is the cable on top... just loosen the nut and let the cable sit where ever it wants on the lever, then tighten the cable nut again. If you have an Isuzu, then do the same for both cable nuts since they're both adjustable.

4. Once you're done, unpin the shifter and try it out.

Good info, but what position is third gear on the trans end. I don't want to lock the stick in third, and adjust the cables if the trans is currently in 5th.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock