Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What seats work in the Fiero, besides stock? (yes I searched) (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What seats work in the Fiero, besides stock? (yes I searched) by jimbolaya
Started on: 06-29-2013 02:03 PM
Replies: 40 (4912 views)
Last post by: PaulJK on 12-25-2014 08:54 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First of all let me say that I have done a search. I am just asking this question now just to see if there is an option out there I am missing. So here goes. What seats work in the Fiero, besides stock? I am not necessarily talking about direct fit. I realize that transfer of the Fiero rails is necessary. Here is what I found through search. I have omitted the years of the models that will work.

-21" seems to be the magic width, but didn't find a number on height. Nothing a tape measure won't solve.

-Cavalier seats
-Tiburon seats
-Firebird/TA/Camaro seats
-Corvette seats

What else is there, experts?

Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have always found Fiero seats to be very comfortable and good looking. Why would you want to change them?

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would love to see SRT4 Neon seats or EVO seats. I love riding in my friends cars. Their seats are comfortable and hold you into the seat better than any other seat I have sit in. If you go corvette get 79 or up.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock height from floor to top of headrest is 34" if that helps.

Are you looking for a factory style seat from another car or aftermarket racing seat style?

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 06-29-2013).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10268 posts
Member since Aug 2007
Early model Corvette seats seem to fit and look VERY nice:

Clem:

Russ:

Fieroguru:
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

I have always found Fiero seats to be very comfortable and good looking. Why would you want to change them?

Because my sons are roached, and the stock ones, in good condition, are not in abundance.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Stock height from floor to top of headrest is 34" if that helps.

Are you looking for a factory style seat from another car or aftermarket racing seat style?

Not looking for anything in particular, just a good value. I want to know all my options when I head to the yard on Tuesday. Pick n Pull is giving 50% off to their tool kit rewards members on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. I'm a member.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 06-29-2013).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Not looking for anything in particular, just a good value. I want to know all my options when I head to the yard on Tuesday. Pick n Pull is giving 50% off to their tool kit rewards members on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. I'm a member.

Jim

Then your main concern in addition to the seat width (so you can use your parking brake) is the width of the shoulder bolsters if you buy seats from one of the racing series cars (GT, SRT, RX) The wider shoulder supports that flare outwards to look like racing seats extend in front of your center console door, block it and render it useless.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been using '90s Firebird & Camaro seats, they just about bolt in. But I install Speakers in them !
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JCzzle had posted a while back that he found a set of leather Tiburon seats that fit well between the door and console. They were slightly higher and required a slight modification for the seat rails,

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089603.html
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The C4 seats fit fairly well and are comfortable.

Nelson
PFF
System Bot
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the sunfire seats fit. Some have lumbar support.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So here are the seats we got at the junkyard. Cavalier seats. What's funny, is the best looking seats, came out of the worst looking car. You should have seen it, it was nasty.

Does anyone else have these seats? The only issue we have is the seat belt loop at the top. It sticks out far enough to hit the b pillar. What was your solution, or did you just deal with it?

Jim
onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you don't mind a little fussing to make them work, C5 Corvette seats are awesome. They hug you so much better than stock seats, looks awesome, fit the car well, have a flip forward feature to access behind the seat, and you have half a chance of finding ones in good condition.

Be warned, the how to thread on the forums doesn't really work at all. If you want to know how to install them in a way that actually works, and is comfortable, PM me, and I can get some photos and info. I've been meaning to do a better how to thread for a while.
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So here are the seats we got at the junkyard. Cavalier seats. What's funny, is the best looking seats, came out of the worst looking car. You should have seen it, it was nasty.

Does anyone else have these seats? The only issue we have is the seat belt loop at the top. It sticks out far enough to hit the b pillar. What was your solution, or did you just deal with it?

Jim

The Cavalier seats look great...Now just fix that center console door and you will be set..
If the seat belt loop hits just delete it..

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 07-03-2013).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 05:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

The Cavalier seats look great...Now just fix that center console door and you will be set..
If the seat belt loop hits just delete it..

It is on my sons to do list. He's only had the car a month.

Jim
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How tall is your son? I've looked at other seats and being 6'4" there isn't much room for the seating surface to be higher. Just something to keep in mind. There are great seats out there if you aren't tall.

Side question - I recall being told the 84 seats sit higher than 85+. Is this true? I've never really compared.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sparco Sprint/Speed seats fit and you can use your stock rails with only a few holes drilled.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

How tall is your son? I've looked at other seats and being 6'4" there isn't much room for the seating surface to be higher. Just something to keep in mind. There are great seats out there if you aren't tall.

Side question - I recall being told the 84 seats sit higher than 85+. Is this true? I've never really compared.

He's about 5'10", but, as I already mentioned, we have found seats already. Just trying to figure out what to do with the seat belt loop at the head rest. It hit's the B pillar.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 07-04-2013).]

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't you delete the seat belt loop?
Will the headrest lift off so you can just take it off?
Or just cut it off.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

Can't you delete the seat belt loop?
Will the headrest lift off so you can just take it off?
Or just cut it off.

I haven't tried to remove it yet. I did take a gander at it, and I do not see a release button, and it did not give way with a polite tug. It will probably give way if i get a little rough with it. I just want to confirm that before I attack it.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 07-04-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well this started to nag at me so I just went out and looked at it. Beneath the fabric, at each mast, of the headrest, is a plastic support. There is a metal C-Clip that goes through this plastic support, and around each mast. Similar to the metal clip that holds the shift knob on automatic shift handles. This clip holds the headrest in. Pop the clip out and the head rest comes off. Then there are these circular clips that hold the seat belt loop on. Pry those off and the seat belt loop comes off. Then re-insert the C-Clip back into the plastic support. (before re-inserting the mast, as after, will make it more difficult) Final step is to pop the headrest back into place and you're done. Took about 20 minutes, minus the looking at it for 10 minutes prior, trying to figure out how it works. Hope this helps someone else.

Jim
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad that worked for you.
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did those bolt in? did you drill or change tracks or anything along those lines.

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96) I'll Sell it if you like
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fast2m4:

Did those bolt in? did you drill or change tracks or anything along those lines.

You just swap the Fiero tracks onto the Cavalier seats. They are a direct fit.

Jim

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you still able to engage the parking brake?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Because my sons are roached, and the stock ones, in good condition, are not in abundance.

Jim

Yep this, and no one seems to make fabric re-covers, only leather (mr Mikes) or vinyl (China).
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Are you still able to engage the parking brake?

Yes, no issue.

Jim

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job on the seats.They look really nice in there.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed Trans Am cloth seats in my 88.

dominic355

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dominic355Send a Private Message to dominic355Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw two sets of the same Cavalier seats at the salvage yard today. One set on a coupe, one in a sedan. FYI the ones in the sedan have no loops. May save some time..

You just swap the Fiero tracks onto the Cavalier seats. They are a direct fit.

Jim

[This message has been edited by dominic355 (edited 07-06-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
mrossum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrossumSend a Private Message to mrossumEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i know i'm a little behind the times, but what year were those cavalier seats out of?

------------------
87 coupe 4 cyl, 5 speed

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since people have transplanted F-Body seats into S10s as well as Fieros, it's a pretty safe bet that S10 seats will transplant into a Fiero, too.
The 1st gen S10 buckets are even shaped similarly to Fiero seats.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i put the trans am seat in my fiero completely bolt in and go no fuss.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an F308 rebody that had Camero seats,looked pretty good, and were comfortable.

Nelson
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-18-2014 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jim, did you find a solution to the seat belt hoop yet?

You should be able to remove the head rests and then remove the hoop, and re-install the head rests.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What seems to be the "Going Rate" for later model Corvette seats ? (if I can find a set) Can they be Had for what it costs to have a set of seats re-upholstered ?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-18-2014 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

What seems to be the "Going Rate" for later model Corvette seats ? (if I can find a set) Can they be Had for what it costs to have a set of seats re-upholstered ?

When I last looked at C5/C6 seats they were in the $500-1500 range depending on condition and model.
onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I paid $250 for what I'd call driver quality C5 seats, with lumbar and power tracks.
Inferno

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2014 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is what I can show you.
I have the SRT4 seats. I have installed just the drivers so far.

Even though I have then sitting as low as I can get them, they still sit too high for my liking. I would stick to the Stock seats.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock