WTF - VW Powered Fiero? by BillS
Started on: 06-28-2013 08:55 PM
Replies: 15 (789 views)
Last post by: bmwguru on 06-30-2013 05:44 AM
BillS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[url=http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/3898571044.html][/url]

This guy in Portland obviously thinks the Fiero would be better off with a Volkswagen engine in it......anyone live near him.........
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ooooooo.... eats v6 Fieros for breakfast.... Sounds scary
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
others seem to think they work well in fieros
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000014.html

bmwguru has a very nice vr6 swap
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hookdonspeed

7980 posts
Member since May 2008
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:

[url=http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/3898571044.html][/url]

This guy in Portland obviously thinks the Fiero would be better off with a Volkswagen engine in it......anyone live near him.........

Haha, I live near Portland (5 miles or so) .....That dude isn't in Portland ....he is in Bend which is out in Central Oregon (180 miles away)

And when says VW engine .....he means from a VW Bug! Look at that ridiculous thing

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 06-28-2013).]

1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look 4 lug rear wheels, oh my I bet the brakes are awesome back there

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96) I'll Sell it if you like
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

chorcob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chorcobSend a Private Message to chorcobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That thing is awesome!

------------------
Unconditional Surrender

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

others seem to think they work well in fieros
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000014.html

bmwguru has a very nice vr6 swap

Not anymore he don't. He sold it on ebay.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

Not anymore he don't. He sold it on ebay.

I sold the TDI swap....not my VR6 swap. The only reason we sold the TDI was that I owned 1/2 of it with my employee, Ryan. We decided to build it and sell it when it was complete, but we both still like it too much. One of us would drive it every day and we even took it on road trips.
I like VW swpas in Fieros....they fit nicely and my VR6 is naturally aspirated and geared well enough to keep up with a 3800s/c.

Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That VW powered Fiero has been on CL for a little while now. I would say that if anyone is seriously considering it (which it's in no way a good deal whatsoever so I'm not sure why one would consider it) you need to REALLY get as much information out of the seller as possible. It appears - from the photos - that he just removed the Fiero rear cradle assembly and shoved the VW works underneath there. If you look at the second photo, where are the Fiero struts? (you can also see this just in the weird stance it has). Also only having four lugs it likely uses whatever was VW for braking back there. So the guy has mixed Fiero fronts with VW rears. Likely this car doesn't have it's drivetrain assembly attached to factory points, so there's no telling how this thing is actually secured to the chassis. It may work in the short term, but if driven serious issues could eventually arise.

I wouldn't want to see a forum member buy a death trap, and I'm not figuratively saying that like most common folks call Fieros, but seriously if you buy this you may be stepping into one.
chorcob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chorcobSend a Private Message to chorcobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

If you look at the second photo, where are the Fiero struts? (you can also see this just in the weird stance it has). Also only having four lugs it likely uses whatever was VW for braking back there. So the guy has mixed Fiero fronts with VW rears. Likely this car doesn't have it's drivetrain assembly attached to factory points, so there's no telling how this thing is actually secured to the chassis. It may work in the short term, but if driven serious issues could eventually arise.

I wouldn't want to see a forum member buy a death trap, and I'm not figuratively saying that like most common folks call Fieros, but seriously if you buy this you may be stepping into one.

I think he probably took the torsion bars from the beetle and put them on instead of struts. I think it is cool but I wouldn't buy it.

------------------
Unconditional Surrender

PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have nothing against VWs... but I'll tell you that my Volkswagen Bus is slow as **** , and he basically has a VW Beetle engine in there.

If it was a 1.8T, or a VR6, it would be a different story... but I don't quite understand the intent here. Maybe he was just bored.

If I ever had a Fiero that was totally shot, engine was blown, and the ECM / fuel injection system was totally gone...

I'd just drop a 3.4 carbed motor in there with a 4psi pusher pump and be done with it.

crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An aluminum engine, 140 HP, and other mods to drop 600 pounds is a way to get better performance.
If I can find the aluminum engine I want, I will shave weight and gain Horse Poop...
Kinda like what I did with my Nova...
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure has a pretty exhaust.
XgovernmentAgent

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

I sold the TDI swap....not my VR6 swap. The only reason we sold the TDI was that I owned 1/2 of it with my employee, Ryan. We decided to build it and sell it when it was complete, but we both still like it too much. One of us would drive it every day and we even took it on road trips.
I like VW swpas in Fieros....they fit nicely and my VR6 is naturally aspirated and geared well enough to keep up with a 3800s/c.

Dave

What was the fuel economy like?
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by XgovernmentAgent:

What was the fuel economy like?

The VR6 gets 30-32mpg on average.

The TDI got 55.2mpg on our test. I'd like to add the Amsoil cetane boost and retest to see what it will get, but we probably won't have the time before the new owner picks it up.
Dave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock