Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Gathering Parts for Turbo 3800 Build (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Gathering Parts for Turbo 3800 Build by NoMoreRicers
Started on: 05-09-2013 04:25 PM
Replies: 50 (1348 views)
Last post by: NoMoreRicers on 08-04-2013 04:26 PM
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NoMoreRicers:

I think I will get the 6262 but I'm not confident in picking a cam yet after all of these responses.

Put it this way...Any way you slice it you can't go wrong with the ST1 cam.

You can absolutely reach all your goals with the ST1 and then some so Don't go bigger than ST2 simply because you Don't need to.

The bigger cams are going to give you some nagging issues that you really don't want or need to deal with, like the car dieing when you turn on the AC or surging on deceleration.
(don't take my word for it, look it up on clubGP or other Wbody forums)

What are the real benefits anyway? A Lopey idle?

The only reason why I'm in a ST3 is because I got it for a hella deal. I wanted a ST2 but they were "sold out"
IP: Logged
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car runs awful due to the injectors but it has never stalledwith either the st2 or the st5
NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought everything from my initial list. After I get the cam and all the valvetrain parts installed, I'll buy the turbo, wastegate, and BOV.
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, I added some money to the fund for this build.

I'm looking for a Precision 6262. I've opted to not get the ball bearings.

Can somebody give me a good brief explanation/justification for certain housings? I was going to get the 4bolt T3 .63A/R but only because I've seen others with it.
I also don't know anything about the different cold side housings, E cover, S cover, and anti-surge...

Also, where is the best place to buy turbos? Any website generally cheaper?
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NoMoreRicers:

Alright, I added some money to the fund for this build.

I'm looking for a Precision 6262. I've opted to not get the ball bearings.

Can somebody give me a good brief explanation/justification for certain housings? I was going to get the 4bolt T3 .63A/R but only because I've seen others with it.
I also don't know anything about the different cold side housings, E cover, S cover, and anti-surge...

Also, where is the best place to buy turbos? Any website generally cheaper?

Bump.
Slow6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slow6Send a Private Message to Slow6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For turbos you can purchase them through ZZP or http://www.stattama.com
Not sure of any other sites because I don't normally venture past vendors that are not in the 3800 market.

Well scratch that looks like stattama is sold out.

[This message has been edited by Slow6 (edited 07-25-2013).]

NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slow6:

For turbos you can purchase them through ZZP or http://www.stattama.com
Not sure of any other sites because I don't normally venture past vendors that are not in the 3800 market.

Well scratch that looks like stattama is sold out.

I was kind of hoping that somebody on the board was a vendor/distributor for Precision or know somebody that is.
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Call precision and ask for the racer discount. Won't likely find cheaper than that. Precision dictates the price that people can sell for. If you can find it somewhere for precisions racer price, with free shipping, that's probably as cheap as you will get.

Wow, they have really gone up in price. I bought my 6262 for 899, now it's 1075 everywhere I see.

Ported S cover will help keep it from surging. I would suggest a v-band t3. Either a .63 or .82. The new turbine wheels flow so well that there are not as much issues with back pressure as the old turbos have. The v-band outlet is 3" where as the 4 bolt outlet is 2.5", either way it will be the same T3 inlet flange. In general the smaller the turbine housing, the more responsive the turbo will be. Larger housings will allow more horsepower in theory, at the expense of spool. However my "tiny" 0.63 t3 housing seems to be working quite well and will be lots for your goals and beyond.

------------------
10.263 @ 134.44MPH - 1.49 60'
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, ARP Rod bolts, otherwise stock L36.

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LFiero67:

ask for the racer discount.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why does this crank bolt have to be tightened down to 5000 ft lbs?!

I'm not having any luck with my limited tools. Electric impact didn't touch it. Three foot breaker bar didn't either.

Just keep trying!
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NoMoreRicers

2192 posts
Member since Mar 2009
I got it!

I used a piece of chain to hold the flex plate and a leg off of my cherry picker as a cheater bar.
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay