Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Supercharging the cadillac 4.9 with Allante intake and Gen V M90 supercharger (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Supercharging the cadillac 4.9 with Allante intake and Gen V M90 supercharger by MaxCubes
Started on: 03-20-2013 03:13 AM
Replies: 311 (27721 views)
Last post by: Will on 04-03-2019 08:55 AM
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2013 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty cool! Good work. Get that thing tuned and get some numbers.
IP: Logged
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

nope...4.9 still running strong
...sorry to disappoint... you guys.

Don't want to hear about it blowing up... do want to hear about it running right.

At this point I obviously can't proceed much further until I can change the clutch to a stonger unit.
Would a Spec stage two be good enough?

... This also gives me the oportuninty to switch from full ghetto tuning.... to semi ghetto...
Today I ordered a BEGi fmu and an MSD btm... ( today was payday! )

If the semi ghetto tuning stuff isn't good enough...
then I will have to go high class ( rob a bank first )... and get the Dynamic EFI stuff
and retune my 7730 ecm (cause thats what I am already running anyway)

p.s.... thanks for the link ericjon262 +++

I'm using a SPEC stage 3. Whether this clutch chatters or not seems to be hit or miss. Mine chatters... a LOT.

I think you'll find that if you add up the costs of the stop-gap things you use trying to avoid buying the right hardware, you'd have been better off buying the right hardware in the beginning.

The emulator for the 7730 (I linked above) is a very capable, very affordable solution. Keep that in mind.
There has also been significant open-source development of boosted code masks for the 7730.
Developers have been working on taking the robust multi-cell fuel trim algorithms from the $8D (Camarbird TPI V8), adding the boost control from the $8F (turbo Grand Prix) and other capabilities to make some pretty powerful engine management built around the 7730.
Google "boosted AUJP", for example.
sleevePAPA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

I'm using a SPEC stage 3. Whether this clutch chatters or not seems to be hit or miss. Mine chatters... a LOT.

I think you'll find that if you add up the costs of the stop-gap things you use trying to avoid buying the right hardware, you'd have been better off buying the right hardware in the beginning.

The emulator for the 7730 (I linked above) is a very capable, very affordable solution. Keep that in mind.
There has also been significant open-source development of boosted code masks for the 7730.
Developers have been working on taking the robust multi-cell fuel trim algorithms from the $8D (Camarbird TPI V8), adding the boost control from the $8F (turbo Grand Prix) and other capabilities to make some pretty powerful engine management built around the 7730.
Google "boosted AUJP", for example.

Its been a couple of years since Ive seen(saw?) anyone working on $8B(oosted), where are these devs working on this code nowadays?

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My info's a couple of years old, so they might not be anymore. I thought the product was at a pretty high level of maturity. Was that not the case?

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My info's a couple of years old, so they might not be anymore. I thought the product was at a pretty high level of maturity. Was that not the case?

it's been a while since I'd been on it, but I wouldn't doubt there's discussion on TGO about it...

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mark A. Klein:

To get thinner head gaskets, you may have to make them out of dead soft copper sheets.... Some think this makes the best head gaskets ever!

Copper head gaskets are pretty serious stuff... MUCH more of a PITA to deal with than conventional, MLS or even simple metal shim head gaskets.

A friend has a naturally aspirated stroker Miata engine with SCE copper head gaskets. In other engines, like some iron block BMW's, they're used with metallic o-rings for really high boost applications. The PITA part is that they need sealer sprayed on both sides to be sure they don't leak coolant. Removing the head after the sealant has been heat cycled usually mangles the copper gasket; thus it needs to be replaced every time the head comes off. With good luck, that's not very often.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Copper head gaskets are pretty serious stuff... MUCH more of a PITA to deal with than conventional, MLS or even simple metal shim head gaskets.

A friend has a naturally aspirated stroker Miata engine with SCE copper head gaskets. In other engines, like some iron block BMW's, they're used with metallic o-rings for really high boost applications. The PITA part is that they need sealer sprayed on both sides to be sure they don't leak coolant. Removing the head after the sealant has been heat cycled usually mangles the copper gasket; thus it needs to be replaced every time the head comes off. With good luck, that's not very often.

Last I looked into them, they were cheap(relative to MLS) for custom sets.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, Im a pretty low budget kind of guy...
Not familiar with tuning ecms at all.
I'm going to try tuning semi ghetto style with the MSD btm and BEGi fmu and air fuel ratio gauge and wide band O2.
.... especially since I just purchased these items

....If I can't get it tuned right...I will have to look into ECM tuning

....But... I would like to give out my thanks to all the input and advice from all of you.
If I end up blowing up my engine...I will replace it....and take all this feedback more seriously... and rethink my setup
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
I have decided to invent a crab cap for the HEI distributor... and remotely locate the coil.

It will sit a good two inches lower.... and I wil be able to remove the cap, without having to remove the supercharger....\

Here are some before pics...

Start with a cap from a 1976 chev pickup with a 250 straight six

chop off the top part

get a cap from a 1997 chev with a V8... and grind off some of the lower external ribs...and make it a little shorter also

stick it in the 76 cap...Dont add any epoxy until you get it clocked right.

....and presto!... you have a crab cap.... a good two inches shorter than a standard HEI cap

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 02-17-2019).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be more worried about level then clocked right, you can retime the distributor to correct for it being off a few degrees, if it's not flat though. you're SOL.

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK thats where I saw it too, hasnt been anything new since 2010. Last I read the author of the code either abandoned the project or never released it to the public. I would LOVE to get my hands on a fully functional $8B since ive been using S_AUJPV4 the last couple of years.

PFF
System Bot
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

I'd be more worried about level then clocked right, you can retime the distributor to correct for it being off a few degrees, if it's not flat though. you're SOL.

The cap has to be clocked right in reference to the distributor.... Turning the whole distributor will not fix an incorrectly clocked cap.
Thats why when you install a cap... it has a tooth that doesn't allow it to turn it once it is mounted to the distributor.
If the cap is not referenced correctly...(If the rotor is not pointing to one of the terminals inside the distributor cap when spark occurs...
then there will be no where for the spark to jump to. (spark will arch somewhere else)
When spark occurs...The rotor must be pointing to one of the eight terminals inside of the distributor.
Adjustment of timing... advanced or retarded.... is done by turning the whole distributor... not the cap alone.

Rotor height in relation to the terminals inside the cap is important also.
...but since the terminals are about a 1/4 inch tall there is room for error...
as long as the rotor is within this margin...but the closer to center, the better
...There is a little vertical shaft play is most distributors.

The gap from the rotor pointer to distributor terminals is also important
...it should be about .015 to .030 ... if closer it may hit when spinning ... if much wider, spark may jump elsewhere.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
When doing this kind of stuff... you want to have a digital micrometer handy.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004

This is how I arranged the firing order for the cadillac 4.9.

Not quite the same as a chevy....(4.9 distributor spins counter clockwise)

Odd numbers go to the front bank of the engine... and even numbers go to the rear.
I posted more information about this cap conversion in a new topic in case others are interested.
...Although Im sure it is more work than most people would be willing to do.

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 04-23-2013).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you looked at your ability to make a franken-stributor?

IE, use the Cadillac "stem"/shell that goes into the block, and the gear and shaft, with the Vortec distributor baseplate...

The 2.8 V6 distributor has a cast stem/shell with an aluminum baseplate staked to the casting. You may be able to use the Vortec baseplate with the Caddy stem and build a franken-stributor without epoxy.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 04-24-2013).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have you looked at your ability to make a franken-stributor?

IE, use the Cadillac "stem"/shell that goes into the block, and the gear and shaft, with the Vortec distributor baseplate...

The 2.8 V6 distributor has a cast stem/shell with an aluminum plate staked to the casting. You may be able to use the Vortec baseplate with the Caddy stem and build a franken-stributor without epoxy.

and off the shelf wear parts too.

@ Maxcubes

Good call, I didn't think that through quite as far.

------------------

bmac

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anymore news with this bad boy?
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2013 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmac:

Anymore news with this bad boy?

Yesterday I added the MSD timing controller for boost and a BEGi fuel management unit that rises fuel pressure as boost increases.
Both were pretty easy to install.

With these I was able to set my base timing and fuel pressure back to stock specs... and the car idles and runs much better now.

Unfortunately can't floor it anymore. Clutch is slipping badly at wide open throttle.

Will have to wait until payday to get a stronger clutch.

So today I had nothing to do... so I went ahead and ported the combustion chambers on a set of extra 4.9 heads that Ive had laying around.

With lowering stock compression, my hope is that I can run higher than 5 psi boost

I liquid measured the stock chambers... and they came out at a tight 48cc's

After a long day, and looking like a coal miner afterward!... I got all chambers opened up to 55cc's.

Which should yield about 8.75 compression ratio.... down considerably from 9.5 stock

I did this by removing sharp edges in the chambers and deshrouding around the valves

bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2013 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man I want to do this!! This is soo sweet. I admire your work man!
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2013 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
red arrows point to areas where more metal was removed...

Tomorro I will remove all the valves a do a little bit of "bowl blending"
... and replace all of the valves with some new ones I bought a while back.

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 04-27-2013).]

mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2013 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
bmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmacSend a Private Message to bmacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there anyway you could post a list of all the parts you needed and an estimate of the prices? Just to put it all down in one ared for all of us that are hoping to one day follow in your footsteps.

Again soooo soo cool!
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Water injection will cure all your problems! In my 2.5 SOHC 8 valve turbo Mopar I could not pass 20psi without sounding like a Coca-Cola bottle with marbles inside, even with race fuel. Installed a system from Snow Performance (back in the day when it was his hobby) and viola! I was running 35psi on pump gas with no knocking. And mine was not a drag car, it was a road racing car. Never blew a head gasket either.
If I remember right I started at 250whp and 275wtorque. After the water injection, increase boost to 35psi and advance the timing (yes advance) it laid down 420whp and 475wtorque.
Torque was intoxicating.
You are doing a great job! My hat off to you!!
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmac:

Is there anyway you could post a list of all the parts you needed and an estimate of the prices? Just to put it all down in one ared for all of us that are hoping to one day follow in your footsteps.

Again soooo soo cool!

So far, these are the parts and prices for my conversion....

Allante intake manifold...........................................................................$30.........junkyard
Allante injector rails................................................................................$20.........junkyard
M90 supercharger(series II)...................................................................$35.........junkyard
Gen 5 M90 supercharger(series III).......................................................$300.......ebay
1/4 inch metal plates to make plenum...................................................$90........lowes
Welding rods, grinding wheels, drill bits.................................................$60........harbor freight tools
3 core aluminum radiator.......................................................................$200......ebay
Allante steel rocker rails.........................................................................$150..... ebay
3 inch undersize supercharger pulley....................................................$90........pulley boys
Supercharger pulley puller/installer........................................................$85........ebay
LT1 valve springs...................................................................................$25........junkyard
Longer belt ( 845K6 )..............................................................................$30........autozone
2002 northstar throttle............................................................................$25.........junkyard
1/4 inch metal plate to make throttle adapter.........................................$10........lowes
4 inch pipe for air intake ducting.............................................................$30........ebay
4 inch rubber couplers............................................................................$30........ebay
Long cone air filter..................................................................................$40........autozone
Various gaskets,....................................................................................$80.........autozone
Various nuts, bolts, vacuum fittings, hoses, clamps.............................$80.........lowes/autozone
Colder spark plugs.................................................................................$30.........autozone
MSD boost timing box............................................................................$175.......ebay
fuel pump from 97 chevy pickup............................................................$25.........junkyard
adjustable fuel regulator.........................................................................$60.........ebay
BEGi rising rate regulator.......................................................................$160......ebay
LT1 24lb injectors...................................................................................$30........junkyard
Many hours of labor I charged myself....................................................$0..........maxcubes
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Originally posted by La fiera:

Water injection will cure all your problems! In my 2.5 SOHC 8 valve turbo Mopar I could not pass 20psi without sounding like a Coca-Cola bottle with marbles inside, even with race fuel. Installed a system from Snow Performance (back in the day when it was his hobby) and viola! I was running 35psi on pump gas with no knocking. And mine was not a drag car, it was a road racing car. Never blew a head gasket either.
If I remember right I started at 250whp and 275wtorque. After the water injection, increase boost to 35psi and advance the timing (yes advance) it laid down 420whp and 475wtorque.
Torque was intoxicating.
You are doing a great job! My hat off to you!!

Thanks
....if preigniton continues to be a problem, I may go water injection
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
although I don't think I will ever get 20psi.... much less 35!!!!

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 04-29-2013).]

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

although I don't think I will ever get 20psi.... much less 35!!!!

That means you will only need very little injection volume.

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So far, these are the parts and prices for my conversion....
Allante intake manifold...........................................................................$30.........junkyard
Allante injector rails................................................................................$20.........junkyard
M90 supercharger(series II)...................................................................$35.........junkyard

Wow. So much cheaper than the junkyards here.
This thread is awesome. Love the V8 sound, but want the 3800sc performance... Now I could have both? Sch-weeeeet...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2013 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
update...

Finished up pocket porting the extra 4.9 heads.
... installed new valves
... and installed the stiffer LT1 valve springs (from 1996 camaro Z28)
They fit great!
These should prevent valve float in my boosted engine
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had the day off today.... so I went ahead and lowered the engine/transmission assembly from the car.
...unbolted the tranny from engine... and the clutch looked worn and burned up.
...So I went ahead and ordered a new clutch set.... a spec stage 3....
Hopefully this clutch will hold up!
Sometime next week l should have it all together again...
and see how runs... now that I have the fuel and timing modifiers installed.
arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM to you.

USPS is shipping you something =)
PFF
System Bot
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finished clutch job a couple of days ago.... Spec stage III installed.... that was a pain.

Todays work was much more fun.... tuning the 4.9 for boost!!

.... The MSD boost timing box, and Begi FMU worked out great.

After getting the fuel and timing set right, the car ran very strong at 5 psi at 5000 rpm (with the stock 3.8 supercharger pulley)
After playing with the FMU.... the best fuel pressure setting was about 60 psi at 5000 rpm
The MSD adjustment dial was set at dead middle in its adjustment range...no knock at this setting

So I figured at 60 psi fuel pressure and only 5 psi boost...I had room for more boost.

So I reinstalled the undersized 3 inch supercharger pulley.

Restarted the car and first thing I noticed as I got on the throttle was that boost kicked in much quicker at a lower rpm....
...and the supercharger whine was also much noisier again.

As soon as the throttle was mashed... there was boost...over 3psi at 2000rpm, 5 psi at 3500 rpm... and climbing over 7 psi past 5500
....The car was very fast.... definitely the quickest it has ever been.
I didn't need to adjust the FMU...With the increased boost the FMU raised fuel pressure to 72 psi at 5000 rpm...
....probably close to the max pressure the stock injectors can handle.
I could hear a little pinging and knocking at lower rpms with the smaller pulley
When I adjusted the MSD to compensate, I noticed a sight decrease in acceleration.
....So tossed in some octane booster and this helped a little.
Another thing I noticed with the additional torque gained from adding the smaller pulley...
was that the clutch would slip at lower rpms (maybe I need to let the new clutch break in properly)

I probably need to install my modified heads so that I won't have to run super high octane gas.
... along with the stiffer valve springs....to make sure there is no valve float

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 06-07-2013).]

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
A quick little blast.... 6 second video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfIi16_Zi2w
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got to admit, I LOVE the way it sounds. It's all Supercharger, with a hint of angry V8.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spec stage III installed....

Another thing I noticed with the additional torque gained from adding the smaller pulley...
was that the clutch would slip at lower rpms (maybe I need to let the new clutch break in properly)

Yes. The SPEC's do need to break in. I didn't with mine and now it chatters like crazy. However, given the option between getting my new engine correctly broken in and getting my new clutch correctly broken in, I chose the engine.

You need to get a datalogging capability and get some dyno time. You never really know what you have until you do.
arte444

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreed on the spec clutch break in. Mine was slipping a lot until break in and had me worried. Works awesome now.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A quick little blast.... 6 second video...

Geez, why didn't you go a little further down the road and at least make it a 10 second video!
arte444

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've watched your 6 second video about 10x now.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2013 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Geez, why didn't you go a little further down the road and at least make it a 10 second video!

It was in front of my house...I didn't want to piss off the neighbors down the road.

I did my high speed testing on a remote desert highway.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All kinds of gauges and electrical stuff exposed while tuning this setup

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock