Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Supercharging the cadillac 4.9 with Allante intake and Gen V M90 supercharger (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Supercharging the cadillac 4.9 with Allante intake and Gen V M90 supercharger by MaxCubes
Started on: 03-20-2013 03:13 AM
Replies: 311 (27721 views)
Last post by: Will on 04-03-2019 08:55 AM
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed that CletussucksPEEN didn't waste any time to comment.

Edit: Nice made it to page 3!

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 04-04-2013).]

IP: Logged
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds nice, better then I expected, looking forward to dyno numbers/track times.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2013 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

Distributor cap cannot be removed until the supercharger is removed

DIS
MaxCubes

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been pretty busy lately with job and family.

I am almost finished with fabricating the throttle cable mount and air filter and ducting.

.... more photos in a couple of days

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 04-10-2013).]

arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The race is still on! I'm busy too but getting a step closer every day =)
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2013 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the throttle cable connected... and here I am test fitting some ducting for the air filter...

yellow arrow shows where I had to cut another notch for clearance

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 03-11-2015).]

arte444

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2013 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a little worried about your top bracket going from the strut tower to the alternator bracket. First concern would be that the alternator bracket is aluminum and might break. Second concern is whether or not you have some rubber isolation between the engine and frame.
CheshireGrin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2013 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CheshireGrinSend a Private Message to CheshireGrinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
some serious pioneering that you are doing here. Someone always has to break ground on new swap types and who knows what possibilities this combo may bring.
Best of luck
Ryan
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2013 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by arte444:

I'm a little worried about your top bracket going from the strut tower to the alternator bracket. First concern would be that the alternator bracket is aluminum and might break. Second concern is whether or not you have some rubber isolation between the engine and frame.

Yea, I plan to redo this soon.... It is the alternator that gets the punishment. I have messed up a couple.

.... all the other mounts are on rubber
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the front view of my 4.9 carb'd engine.

Looks like a supercharger with the top loaded carb flange would work nicely. I already have a big scoop. Time and money I guess.

Arn
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2013 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The supercharged 4.9 is now on the road !!!

Be back in a few minutes with a link to a couple of videos

Here is another pic for now...

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 03-11-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Video #1...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9iE0PhoiOk

and video #2...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qphRaCd8UY

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 04-15-2013).]

arte444

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Way to go! Looks like a blast.

How much boost did you end up achieving? Wheres the biggest noticeable power gain low or high rpm?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

This is the front view of my 4.9 carb'd engine.

Looks like a supercharger with the top loaded carb flange would work nicely. I already have a big scoop. Time and money I guess.

Arn

That's a nice setup. I like how compact it is and how much wrap there is on both the crank pulley and the waterpump. Personally, I'd have mad the alt mount fixed and used a spring tensioner instead of an idler on the top pulley. I need to figure out something like this for my Northstar.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by arte444:

Way to go! Looks like a blast.

How much boost did you end up achieving? Wheres the biggest noticeable power gain low or high rpm?

Power curve seems very broad... boost kicks in a soon as you floor it.

Looks like 9 psi.... I have a hard time reading the gauge under full throttle... more worried about keeping the car straight !!

I still need to tune it correctly....

All I have done is bump up fuel pressure to 80psi with a cheap adjustable regulator... and I turned the distributor less advanced...

It runs poor at idle like this.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that thing sounds awesome! now go get to work on the tune!
pdemondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VERY NICE!!!
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2013 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments guys...

The supercharger is completely quiet until you floor it.... and then it is very loud...as you can hear in the videos

...coming from the large air filter and 4 inch ducting I used.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2013 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Yea.... I still need to tune this thing right.

I probably should invest in an air/fuel ratio gauge and wide band O2 sensor.
... to make sure that I don't run lean at WOT and burn holes in my pistons.

I've been researching ecm/prom tuning... with mixed conclusions. Its not easy getting an ecm tuned for boost.

I also read the archived PBJ turbo boosted 4.9 build. Even with expert help from rockcrawl... they burned dozens of chips with no avail
Rockcrawl tried programming the 1227749 ecm (the ecm used on the boosted Syclones) with no avail
They ended up using the 7730 ecm and using a MSD boost timing master to control spark timing during boost.

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2013 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap that's loud. Haha. Wow, 1st gear is super short because of the Getrag.

I would totally do this except I would have to either change my computer to a 7730 or figure out a way to make it work with the stock Caddy ECM which is unlikely.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2013 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been researching ecm/prom tuning... with mixed conclusions. Its not easy getting an ecm tuned for boost.

http://www.eficonnection.co...iconnection/24x.aspx

Adapt their 24x trigger to your engine and use an LS1 PCM... Cake. ;-)
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2013 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
stop burning chips, start flashing...

http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_P4_Flash.php

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This morning I pulled the spark plugs and noticed the electrodes were all bright white... a sign of preignition.
Replaced them with colder plugs...and did some more full throttle runs.
Usually I can hear if the engine is pinging... which it used to ping a little if I didn't use super unleaded...
But now I can't hear any pinking because the supercharger is so loud! LOL

.... anyway, I pulled out a couple of the new colder spark plugs, and they still turned white.
I have the fuel pressure at 80 psi and the distributor timing retarded....
Like this, it sputters and runs poor at idle.... but runs real strong at WOT.
My clutch can only take a couple of full throttle blasts...after that it gets hot and starts slipping badly.
I'll be needing a stronger clutch pretty soon!

.... I think I have too much boost for a 9.5 to 1 compression engine.
Tomorro, I think I will remove the 3 inch pulley and put the 3.8 inch pulley back on and do some more runs...
I am guessing this will get me down to about 5 psi

And hopefulley the clutch will hold up a little longer.

I have an extra set of 4.9 heads laying around.
.... I think I will port these and get the combustion chambers opened up to reduce the compression ratio.

I think this is the only way I will be able to use my 3 inch pulley and safely run some higher psi... and horsepower
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking 7730 and knock sensor...

Originally posted by Will:
http://www.eficonnection.co...iconnection/24x.aspx
Adapt their 24x trigger to your engine and use an LS1 PCM... Cake. ;-)

Even better.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-19-2013).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

stop burning chips, start flashing...

http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_P4_Flash.php

Flash is for suckas

http://www.moates.net/ostri...-p-169.html?cPath=95

Tune on the fly.

All-in-one: http://www.moates.net/apu1-...n-p-54.html?cPath=95

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

.... anyway, I pulled out a couple of the new colder spark plugs, and they still turned white.
I have the fuel pressure at 80 psi and the distributor timing retarded....
Like this, it sputters and runs poor at idle.... but runs real strong at WOT.

.... I think I have too much boost for a 9.5 to 1 compression engine.
Tomorro, I think I will remove the 3 inch pulley and put the 3.8 inch pulley back on and do some more runs...
I am guessing this will get me down to about 5 psi

You need actual tuning of your ECM. If you get a good setup, you'll be able to extract the most out of your engine. If not, you'll always be stuck in the limbo you're in now of not running well at WOT and not running well other times either.

I thought going straight to the 3" pulley was a bit aggressive. Doable with a tunable engine management, but tough otherwise.

A @$$ume that there are no MLS or other-than-stock head gaskets? A thinner head gasket could tighten up your piston to head clearance and help with detonation. GM likes to run PTH pretty wide due to manufacturing tolerances. It needs to be .035 to .040 for a performance engine.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 04-19-2013).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Flash is for suckas

http://www.moates.net/ostri...-p-169.html?cPath=95

Tune on the fly.

All-in-one: http://www.moates.net/apu1-...n-p-54.html?cPath=95

there's a little more to the EBL units then just flash programming, I had one of the older TBI based EBL units in my old truck, it was pretty cool.
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You need actual tuning of your ECM. If you get a good setup, you'll be able to extract the most out of your engine. If not, you'll always be stuck in the limbo you're in now of not running well at WOT and not running well other times either.

I thought going straight to the 3" pulley was a bit aggressive. Doable with a tunable engine management, but tough otherwise.

A @$$ume that there are no MLS or other-than-stock head gaskets? A thinner head gasket could tighten up your piston to head clearance and help with detonation. GM likes to run PTH pretty wide due to manufacturing tolerances. It needs to be .035 to .040 for a performance engine.

To get thinner head gaskets, you may have to make them out of dead soft copper sheets.... Some think this makes the best head gaskets ever!

[This message has been edited by Mark A. Klein (edited 04-19-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you dont find a tuning solution, we will be reading the old "it done blew up" post.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"done blowed up"

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL too right!
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a 4.9 owner, I have watched this with keen interest, but yeah...
Please find a tuning solution before we have to read about blown head gaskets or ventilated pistons.

Heck... If you do a 7730, one of PBJ's turbo tunes might be a good baseline for you.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-19-2013).]

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ghetto tuning day 2....

This morning, I removed the 3 inch pulley and installed the the larger 3.8 inch supercharger pulley.
I had to remove the alternator first... just so I could get the supercharger pulley puller tool on to do this.
...also took me a couple of trips to the local auto parts store to get the right sized belt.

So finally I got it done... and did some more full throttle runs with my full ghetto tuning still in place...
...( fuel pressure jacked up to 80psi, and distributor turned less advanced (retarded LOL)

First thing I noticed was that the belt wouldn't chirp anymore when I reved it.
Second... the supercharger whine was considerably less noisy.
The best part... and most ironic, was that acceleration was better than ever... I assume because preigniton was reduced or eliminated.
...pulling the plugs afterward confirmed it....no more white electrodes.

The bad news...
The clutch is really taking the heat now...
it would slip worse as it would heat up. I couldn't floor it anymore after the fourth run...
too much slip... and the smell of a burning clutch.

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
At this point I obviously can't proceed much further until I can change the clutch to a stonger unit.
Would a Spec stage two be good enough?

... This also gives me the oportuninty to switch from full ghetto tuning.... to semi ghetto...
Today I ordered a BEGi fmu and an MSD btm... ( today was payday! )

If the semi ghetto tuning stuff isn't good enough...
then I will have to go high class ( rob a bank first )... and get the Dynamic EFI stuff
and retune my 7730 ecm (cause thats what I am already running anyway)

p.s.... thanks for the link ericjon262 +++
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004

"done blowed up"

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

LOL too right!

nope...4.9 still running strong
...sorry to disappoint... you guys.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...and retune my 7730 ecm (cause thats what I am already running anyway)

Ooops. Sorry.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Ooops. Sorry.

Its all good raydar...

Yea...Definately glad to have the 7730 for several reasons.... knock sensor, iac compatibility, more support on tuning, availability of ready to go wiring harnesses, etc.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Here are some shots on the combustion chambers I will be porting to lower compression ratioo...

....in the hope that I can run more than 5 psi boost.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nope...4.9 still running strong
...sorry to disappoint... you guys.

You took that the wrong way. I, in no way, want to see your car blown up. I am highly encouraging you to seek a reliable method to tune your car to PREVENT the dreaded "it done blowed up" post. Why the hell is everyone so damn sensitive these days?
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's a nice setup. I like how compact it is and how much wrap there is on both the crank pulley and the waterpump. Personally, I'd have mad the alt mount fixed and used a spring tensioner instead of an idler on the top pulley. I need to figure out something like this for my Northstar.

I thought about doing a spring loaded tensioner and decided that the turnbuckle would be superior. I can tighten the serpentine very precisely and the locking nut ensures it won't move. I don't need to torque the alternator hold down bolt very much either. The low mount alternator appears to be pretty good. It also frees up the top end. I can mount a sc any time, when my pocket book allows. As for and ECM? Don't need one. I just have to adjust my distributor.

Arn
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock