Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  88 2.5L running issue :( please help (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
88 2.5L running issue :( please help by gtxbullet
Started on: 11-08-2012 11:30 PM
Replies: 45 (2087 views)
Last post by: calvan5154@att.net on 05-23-2022 01:04 PM
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
long story short I put my 2.5L back in my 88 and sold my 3.4L swap to buy a fastback daily driver.
==================================
here's the details:

Starts fine, idles good for a couple minutes

after a couple minutes the idle rpm's sort of wander very oddly. not reving up and down, but gradual

when driving it sometimes wants to stall (and does) while shifting into another gear (manual) or when coming to a stop.

when I'm stopped in traffic the rps kick down then up A LOT, to the point I need to keep my foot on the gas so kids don't think I want to race them...lol

when the engine is running it sounds like it's very slightly putt putting.
==========
==========
here are the things that are new or have be tested and have ZERO ISSUES:

brake booster (and all connections between the booster and the engine)
fuel pump - new
Pump Strainer - new
fuel filter - new
fuel pressure regulator - new
Every engine seal and gasket was replace (full deconstruction and rebuid - this problem was happening before I did this)
MSD Coil Packs
ignition module - new
Crank Sensor - new
Spark Plugs - new
Spark Plug Wires - new
Power and Ground cables - new
PCV - new
EVAP System has been checked and bypassed - issue doesn't go away
EGR - new
Computer (PCM) has been swapped (1988 5-speed and 1987 5 speed, no change)
no catalytic convertor (though I'm going to be putting a high flow unit on to quiet it down again
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VSS
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the engine warm and idling at the correct speed, unplug the IAC. That will freeze the IAC's pintle at that particular spot. Then see if you still have the idle speed error. If so - then why is the ECM commanding a changing idle speed. If not - then what is actually causing the idle speed changes?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try clean the IAC passage and the throttle body and backside of the throllle body blade. Over time they get carbon build up and reduce the amount of air that flows through them at idle. When the engine tries to idle too low, then it kicks into stall saver mode and will shoot the RPM's up.

You might also try blocking off the EGR at the manifold... the last new one I had for an 88 2.5 wouldn't seal shut properly and was flowing all the time. Idled like a champ once I blocked it off (welded the port in the EGR housing closed).

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 11-09-2012).]

gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replaced the IAC as well as unplugged it. no change.
The throttle blade and passage was cleaned prior to reinstalling.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. check battery and alt volts etc. Iffy power will be a problem. Check when engine is cold and hot.

2. get ECM scan tool
Monitor ECM volts. ECM should see battery volts +- 1v max at all times. If not check all grounds etc... G201 and G202 too. See my Cave, Scan Tool Help, Wire Service

2a. Maybe ECM w/ heat issues. ECM won't set a code etc for heat problems... maybe bogus codes. If cooling help, get a new ECM and read ECM Heat

Get stock coils. Car starts and runs but has problem when hot is a likely sign Coils have heat issues.
What brand/type of plugs?
DIS hates "Performance" coils and many types of plugs.
If shield is missing, find a used one or make one.
See my Cave, DIS Ignition

Coil
AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5C1058
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # DR39 (But not cheap DR39T)

4. You switch ECM PROM... What number on the PROM?
May need PROM update. See my Cave, 87-88 DIS Duke ECM

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Problem was still there with stock coils.
Plugs are stock ac delco.

I tried platinums last year and no difference.

The shield is there and I clean it.

I have heatsink compound on the ICM as well.

[This message has been edited by gtxbullet (edited 11-09-2012).]

TejasFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TejasFieroSend a Private Message to TejasFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Changed MAT sensor? I hear if that's fouled up it causes idle issues.
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You shoulda bought my Formula.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might check the coil pack connector harness end. I was having random loss of power and sometimes a really low idle that would come and go. Eventually it stayed in the low power mode and was able to limp it home. Never set a code... but this was the culprit:

gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Might check the coil pack connector harness end. I was having random loss of power and sometimes a really low idle that would come and go. Eventually it stayed in the low power mode and was able to limp it home. Never set a code... but this was the culprit:

both connectors that attach to the ICM are good, though the rubber weather seals have become enlarged from absorbing Dielectric grease...very weird.

I had to wire my tachometer into the large conector as it was faulty (about 2 years ago), removing it and not having it connected to the tach doesn't change anything.

this really has had me puzzled. I've been living with it for years, and this last year it got worse to where it will actually stall out.

but I've just completely rebuilt the engine and replaced EVERYTHING.

it has to be harness related as it's the only thing I haven't restored to perfection on the drivetrain...and the original fuel injector.
PFF
System Bot
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It might be a fuel pressure regulator problem.
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indiana_resto_guy:

It might be a fuel pressure regulator problem.

Fuel pressure regulator has already been replaced.
Everything ignition and fuel related has been replaced except the fuel injector.
I swapped out the fuel injector for another 1 and it didn't change anything so I put the original 1 back in.

What I'm thinking all do is put some stock style coil packs back on and replace the icm harness end ( which I already ordered from the Fiero store)
I also have a few spare O2 sensors so Ill replace that too as Its a year old.
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2012 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
update: engine dies when letting of the gas about 40-50% of the time now...

might just be the 20-30 degree weather we now have...

looking forward to my new ICM connector and pigtail.

if that doesn't solve the issue, I'm going to add another ground for the ICM.

then if the problem is still there I'll be deleting the EGR. If no change, then the EGR will go back on.

the last thing would be the Fuel Injector. I really hope thats not it, because it's $90.00 at autozone, and give or take $5-10 online everywhere

wish I could just find a CARB intake and get rid of the whole computer set up. lol

[This message has been edited by gtxbullet (edited 11-13-2012).]

gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
replaced the ICM connector and there is no difference...
now literally the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the injector...
I continue to get a random code 42 every once in awhile.
which I believe is evap system... but when I plug of the Evap at vac lines from the throttle body it doesn't change anything and I still get the code every once in awhile.
86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Code 42 is for ECT. Electric Spark Timing.

Go to PFF main page and look at the ECM codes.

Steve
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86soon3.4:

Steve

so it is!!
everything ignition related is brand new...
I'll try playing around with the wires on the harness thats will spark plug wires. I had the same issue with my V 6 swap so maybe I'm having it now too.
that would make a lot of sense!
I'll try and figure it out tomorrow as my fastback is pretty much done.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again read my Cave, DIS Ignition + 87-88 DIS Duke ECM

Check Grounds bolted to Trans bell housing. DIS ground goes to bell housing. (This is G504)

Random DTC 42 could be need a PROM update but need to eliminate grounds etc first.

Could be a Dieing ECM. Pull console and Carefully Try warming up ECM w/ hair drier.
See my Cave, ECM Heat

gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Again read my Cave, DIS Ignition + 87-88 DIS Duke ECM

Check Grounds bolted to Trans bell housing. DIS ground goes to bell housing. (This is G504)

Random DTC 42 could be need a PROM update but need to eliminate grounds etc first.

Could be a Dieing ECM. Pull console and Carefully Try warming up ECM w/ hair drier.
See my Cave, ECM Heat

thanks for the info!!!

my ECM in Remanufactured. I have tried several ECM's and the problem doesn't go away
. I'll recheck my grounds. I added a bunch of extra grounds just for the heck of it.
I should know more later tonight after the big bird stops dancing in my gut. lol
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
still clueless...

so here's a list of parts that are new in the last 1-2 years. (the problem has existed for 3ish years)

replaced:
ICM Harness section (with fiero store part)
computer
wires
plugs
IAC
PCV
Rubber Vacuum Lines
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
ICM
Crank Sensor
Coils
O2 Sensor
added 2 more grounding straps to the engine and transmission (6 or 8 gauge I believe)
Battery
Alternator
Starter
Positive Power Cable

Brake Booster and line have no leaks
did a vacuum test at the brake booster, holds pressure perfectly with no loss after a few minutes, and immediately had pressure on first pump of the tester.

there are no bad wires on the harness that are pinched, cut, or bare.

getting low 20's for MPG's (about 20-23)
swapping the fuel injector didn't solve anything either...

I know it is Timing/ignition related.

when the ALDL is jumped it takes about 15-20 seconds of cranking to start the engine when cold. when not jumped it takes about 1-3 at cold

with ALDL jumped the engine sounds more throaty and has a lower tone to the exhaust, obviously this is due to not having the computer advance the timing.

swapping to a remanufactured ECM didn't help, nor did any of the ECM's I have in my parts collection...

so the computer is not in the cards...

from all the help folks have given me I believe it to be in the Ignition area with the Crank Sensor/ICM/Coils/Harness/grounding of ICM

after all the work and trouble shooting I still can't find the source to this invisible but noticeable gremlin....
anyone care to come in person to help me?
gas cost is on me of course.

In the mean time I'm still driving it (or trying to...lol), and finishing my 1987 GT Project which is literally 1 part away from running.
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2012 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the entire Igniton set up on my 88 coupe with a known good one.
and it actually ran worse...lol

I'm figuring out exactly what I originally thought is the answer...the harness is bad.

because it's the only part I haven't swapped off yet...

I'd love for someone to come her and help me figure it out before I replace the harness...
though because it's a 2.5L the harness is so simple to swap out, it's still money I'd like not to spend
PFF
System Bot
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok. Ive kinda given up...
I've spent hours almost every day trying to figure this out...
I've swapped every part off and nothing changed.

only thing I havent done now is put a whole different engine harness.
but this is because the original harness has no problems and no damage...

all I want for christmas is my 88 to run good again and not stall all the time.

pdemondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had random stalling on a 3500 (swapped in place of a 3400) in my Chevy Venture. It turned out being a few semi-shorted wires going to the coil pack.

If you have not done so, I would suggest taking out the entire harness and checking the entire thing. Do continuity checks and visual inspection.

Faulty wiring on the harness that could have taken out some sensors so, depending of what is bad, you may have to
replace a few more parts.

I hope you find it, I know how impossible these odd failures are to pinpoint. Good luck.

gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that's kind of what I'm figuring even though I know all my connections are good I can't see all wires because of the factory loom.

Originally posted by pdemondo:

I had random stalling on a 3500 (swapped in place of a 3400) in my Chevy Venture. It turned out being a few semi-shorted wires going to the coil pack.

If you have not done so, I would suggest taking out the entire harness and checking the entire thing. Do continuity checks and visual inspection.

Faulty wiring on the harness that could have taken out some sensors so, depending of what is bad, you may have to
replace a few more parts.

I hope you find it, I know how impossible these odd failures are to pinpoint. Good luck.

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2012 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a spare instrument cluster?

The stalling when pushing in the clutch might be VSS related. Sure your speedo is working so the VSS is fine, but the speedo sends a buffered signal to the ecm. When the ECM sees the fiero in motion from the buffered signal, it raises the idle RPM set point to avoid the common issue of off throttle stalling when the clutch is pressed. I suspect the ecm might not be seeing this buffered signal for some reason (bad buffer board or wire). Might be worth swapping instrument clusters (or just the speedo) to check.

Have you tried unplugging the A/C relay and driving the car with the defrost on? With defrost or AC on, the ecm will bump the idle RPM to overcome the pumping loss of the a/c compressor. By unplugging the AC relay, the compressor clutch will not engage and the pump will remain off, but the ecm will raise the idle RPM... which might be enough to stop the stalling condition temporarily and allow you to drive it more.
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2012 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you have a spare instrument cluster?

The stalling when pushing in the clutch might be VSS related. Sure your speedo is working so the VSS is fine, but the speedo sends a buffered signal to the ecm. When the ECM sees the fiero in motion from the buffered signal, it raises the idle RPM set point to avoid the common issue of off throttle stalling when the clutch is pressed. I suspect the ecm might not be seeing this buffered signal for some reason (bad buffer board or wire). Might be worth swapping instrument clusters (or just the speedo) to check.

Have you tried unplugging the A/C relay and driving the car with the defrost on? With defrost or AC on, the ecm will bump the idle RPM to overcome the pumping loss of the a/c compressor. By unplugging the AC relay, the compressor clutch will not engage and the pump will remain off, but the ecm will raise the idle RPM... which might be enough to stop the stalling condition temporarily and allow you to drive it more.

my 88 coupe has Zero options.
as for switching the gauge cluster out I've already tried it...
but just for the heck of it I'll try it again hey make sure the connections are all good
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2012 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
codes - 24, 34, 42

24 - vss signal not reaching the computer

34 - map sensor

42 - ignition related ( ignition module)

all gauges function properly. ignition module was replaced a little over year ago.
the spark plugs and wires are brand new.
I have already tried swapping computers, coil packs, ignition modules, the heat sink backing plate on the ignition module, gauge cluster, idle air control valve, through trying different ones of all those parts nothing changed.

I tried rerouting the spark plug wires nothing changed.

I have checked all electrical connections as well as the harness...no damage found anywhere.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2012 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are going to have to stop throwing parts/spares at this issue and start doing some true diagnostic checks if you want to solve this issue. The good thing about it setting codes is it gives you a few places to start.

If you don't have an 88 service manual, get one. It has troubleshooting flow charts for every diagnostic code and will walk you through the troubleshooting process.

This may or may not be the method in the service manual, but this is how I check for MAP sensor issues:
Turn the key on and check for 5V at Pin C (grey wire). This 5V wire is shared with the TPS as well, so if you don't get the full 5V, unplug the TPS sensor and check it again. If the reading changes, there might actually be something wrong with the TPS sensor that is pulling down 5V ref signal that both sensors use. Then check the ground wire Pin A (black wire) and measure the ohms between it and the engine block and between it and the negative on the battery... if either of these measurements isn't very close to zero, then you have some poor ground connections. Last check the map signal wire pin B (light green). It helps to have a mighty vac or some external means to apply a varying amount of vacuum to the sensor, as you do this you want to see a gradual change in the sensor reading and no dead spots.

You can do the same multimeter checks on the ground and power wires on the coil pack to rule out a basic power/ground issue...
86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2012 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You are going to have to stop throwing parts/spares at this issue and start doing some true diagnostic checks if you want to solve this issue. The good thing about it setting codes is it gives you a few places to start.

If you don't have an 88 service manual, get one. It has troubleshooting flow charts for every diagnostic code and will walk you through the troubleshooting process.

This may or may not be the method in the service manual, but this is how I check for MAP sensor issues:
Turn the key on and check for 5V at Pin C (grey wire). This 5V wire is shared with the TPS as well, so if you don't get the full 5V, unplug the TPS sensor and check it again. If the reading changes, there might actually be something wrong with the TPS sensor that is pulling down 5V ref signal that both sensors use. Then check the ground wire Pin A (black wire) and measure the ohms between it and the engine block and between it and the negative on the battery... if either of these measurements isn't very close to zero, then you have some poor ground connections. Last check the map signal wire pin B (light green). It helps to have a mighty vac or some external means to apply a varying amount of vacuum to the sensor, as you do this you want to see a gradual change in the sensor reading and no dead spots.

You can do the same multimeter checks on the ground and power wires on the coil pack to rule out a basic power/ground issue...

What he said....

Steve
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm done swapping parts as I have tried all my spares (clusters, sensors, etc, etc)

I checked the MAP sensor and it reads exactly what it should.

I'm going to try testing it while driving.

still have codes 24 (VSS), 34 (MAP), 42 (ICM)
TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you ever fix your issues?
PFF
System Bot
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TriumphFetish:

Did you ever fix your issues?

nope. all sensors are new. did new wires and plugs, coils, crank sensor, module, coolant temp sensor, air temp sensor, egr, etc etc.
even the computer is new.

checked grounds and all connections.

still has 160psi across all 4 cylinders.

I could go on. but Ive said it all before.

Im clueless.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remove all electrical connectors (on ECM, sensors, relays, etc.). Spray with WD-40 (OK to be a bit messy). Replace connectors.
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Remove all electrical connectors (on ECM, sensors, relays, etc.). Spray with WD-40 (OK to be a bit messy). Replace connectors.

ive used sensor safe cleaner and dielectric grease. no change.
there is no corrosion in any connector.

wd40 wont ever touch a DIS system that I own.
I use it with distributors though.

nice thought.
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

gtxbullet

4164 posts
Member since Apr 2008
or did I misunderstand your suggestion?
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WD-40 will clean contacts and let them make better contact. If you don't believe me, try this experiment. Take an ordinary toy battery operated motor. Connect a battery and listen to how fast it runs. Now put a couple of drops of WD-40 on the motor's brushes and commutator and connect the battery again. The motor will run noticeably faster. It's not because of lubrication -- there's very little drag on a toy battery motor's brushes. It's because of better contact.
Edit: PS. Sometimes a V6 Fiero will show symptoms of a bad ignition module when the problem is actually a contact problem. It happened to me. I removed the low voltage connections from the spark coil, and the connections on the ignition module, sprayed with WD-40, replaced them, and the car ran perfectly again.
When folks replace their ignition modules, often the old module is actually not bad, but in doing the replacement, they have wiped the contacts by virtue of removing and replacing them. The dry wiping helps, but WD-40 makes it better.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 07-30-2013).]

gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

WD-40 will clean contacts and let them make better contact. If you don't believe me, try this experiment. Take an ordinary toy battery operated motor. Connect a battery and listen to how fast it runs. Now put a couple of drops of WD-40 on the motor's brushes and commutator and connect the battery again. The motor will run noticeably faster. It's not because of lubrication -- there's very little drag on a toy battery motor's brushes. It's because of better contact.
Edit: PS. Sometimes a V6 Fiero will show symptoms of a bad ignition module when the problem is actually a contact problem. It happened to me. I removed the low voltage connections from the spark coil, and the connections on the ignition module, sprayed with WD-40, replaced them, and the car ran perfectly again.
When folks replace their ignition modules, often the old module is actually not bad, but in doing the replacement, they have wiped the contacts by virtue of removing and replacing them. The dry wiping helps, but WD-40 makes it better.

you misunderstand. I completely agree and know you are right. but when a replacement ICM costs $60-100 I dont want to risk signals crossing because or the wd40.
but Ill take a q-tip and wd40 and touch each individual contact instead of spray.

the issue only happens when the engine is warmed up.
86soon3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Deliver It To Me And I Will Fix It.

Steve
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Deliver It To Me And I Will Fix It.

Steve

Thanks Steve! Id really like to make a trip up to you sometime. but Id like to keep her near me.
gtxbullet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no change with wd40.
have codes 15 - coolant temp
24 - speed sensor
33 - map sensor (only happens when it stalls)
42 - ignition

I wish I could get the replacement harness (with AC) I asked for.
the issue has to be in the wires.
Id love to make a new harness but at the cost I could do a v6 swap.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock