Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Fiero GTS (GT Streched) Build thread Fast Back plus Nochie (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fiero GTS (GT Streched) Build thread Fast Back plus Nochie by Nebraska
Started on: 11-07-2012 09:54 PM
Replies: 145 (10847 views)
Last post by: RichLo1 on 01-25-2022 01:15 PM
Nebraska

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had this in my head for a many years and finally get a chance to build it. It is a bubbajoe inspired streched fiero with a Northstar and Audi transmission. Here is where I'm at now.
More pics to follow.
Photo Shoppers welcome for tweaks !

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i really like that... but is that a photoshop or for realz?
Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's real !
Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2012 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nebraska

122 posts
Member since Nov 2011
More build pics. In order of build.

[This message has been edited by Nebraska (edited 11-11-2012).]

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow, that's pretty cool! any info on the drivetrain?

------------------
there's a Group on 60degreeV6.com for us 660 Fiero owners!

Fiero Owner's group on 60degreeV6.com

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the same setup Buba, and now Jelly2M8, is running. You crazy body guys!
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not sure how i feel about this yet.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
come on now! you just gonna tease us like this!

------------------

I know these lines Look crooked on paper, but I swear I've got them straight in my head.

JRP3

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always love a good stretch!
Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, here's how it started, I bought a 1984 Nochie with plans to do a engine swap. I've been reading this forum for years then I came across BubbaJoes build thread and thought it was amazing. I always liked the Cadi Northstar but I new the eletronics would be a problem. I don't have a pic of the original car but it was a basic red 84 nochie with air conditioning as the only option.

Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nebraska

122 posts
Member since Nov 2011
I was also reading the Lambo kit and GT40 forums. I found that a lot of them used a Audi transmission from a Audi 5000. It seemed like that tranmission was very plentiful but I could not find one locally. I ended up buying a whole running car that I drove for a couple of months. Then I remove the transmission and any other parts that I might need.
I got the trans, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, axles, and shifter. Here's what it looked like.

PFF
System Bot
Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nebraska

122 posts
Member since Nov 2011
The next thing was the engine. I almost bought a Cadi with a 4.9, but I really wanted a all aluminum NorthStar 4.6. I passed on that car and continued searching. I found one in a U Pull junkyard. I wanted to keep the computer and wiring harness intact and didn't want a hack job in removing the engine from the car by the yard crew so I did it myself. It took two days, about 6 hours total. Here is the engine.

Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nebraska

122 posts
Member since Nov 2011
The next thing was to take lot of measurements to determine how much a strech I would need to fit the engine and trans. I figured that I only needed 10 inches of strech but rounded it up to foot (12 inches). I removed the old Iron Duke 4 banger, then blocked the car up and made a frame cradle to keep the back half car from falling to the ground. I marked the top frame rail 4 inches from the firewall and the bottom frame rail 6 inches from the firewall. With a new blade in the trusty swazall and the car on blocks and the frame cradle it was time to cut it apart. Here are pics of the results.

Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nebraska

122 posts
Member since Nov 2011
As I was cutting it I expected after the last cut the back half would shift or drop compared to the front half. It did not move a millimeter. After the cuts the frame rails were still lined up with only a sawzall blade space between them. I first thought i missed cutting something until I nudged the back half and it moved away freely. WOW that was EASY. The back half was on the frame cradle that had casters. All I had to do was to pull it back 12 inches and it was streched. I welded on 1/2 x 1/8 steel strapping on each frame rail leaving exactly 12 inch gap in the rails. These were strong enough to keep the spacing correct but flexableenough to adjust for squareness. The next thing was to see what steel I needed to put it back together.
Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nebraska

122 posts
Member since Nov 2011
After taking a few measurements and reading what other people used I decided to use 2" x 2" x 18" for the top rails and two - 1 3/4" x 1 3/4" x 16 for the bottom rail. On the top rail the 2 x 2 extended 2" in the front of the top rail and 4" into the rear part of the top rail. I cut a notch in the inside of the top rail and added plug welds to the top, bottom, and outside of the rail. See pics.

IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great looking build man!!
Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2012 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More Updates,

I boxed in the frame rails with heavy sheet metal to give it a more factory look. I added some round tubes for more strength. Next will be streching the cradle

Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2012 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nebraska

122 posts
Member since Nov 2011
A little child labor helping out cleaning the engine compartment with baby wipes.

Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also streched the cradle 12 inches. I cut it about 6 inches behind the front bushing. At that point the cross section was 2 x 3 1/2. I could not find any square tube that dimension locally so I used a 2 x 1 1/2 on top of a 2 x 2. I butt welded it in and added 1/8 plates at the seams. I had to totally rebuilt the back section to make the transmission fit. Here are the pics of the cradle.

Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nebraska

122 posts
Member since Nov 2011
I do have a question for anyone who has a opinion. The way the A/C and Alternator are mounted to the Northstar the easiest way to mount the motor was to use the existing mount on the drivers side and to fab up a mount on the pass side. This makes the engine mounts stagggered. I was NOT planning on using any type of torque dogbone. I could add one if I really need it. Once I get the mounts finnished I will post more pics. Does anyone see any problems with the staggered mounts without a torque dogbone ??
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's one way to get around finding fastback taillights
PFF
System Bot
Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula:

That's one way to get around finding fastback taillights

Its the hard way !
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nebraska:

I do have a question for anyone who has a opinion. The way the A/C and Alternator are mounted to the Northstar the easiest way to mount the motor was to use the existing mount on the drivers side and to fab up a mount on the pass side. This makes the engine mounts stagggered. I was NOT planning on using any type of torque dogbone. I could add one if I really need it. Once I get the mounts finnished I will post more pics. Does anyone see any problems with the staggered mounts without a torque dogbone ??

The dogbone used in FWD transverse applications is more for resisting drive line torque (engine tq * gear ratio * final drive) vs. just engine torque. Since you are longitudinal, there is no need for a dogbone.

I like the finished look of you chassis stretch!
Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats kinda what I was thinking. A front engine rear wheel drive car only has three mounting points with no dog bones. I'll going to try it without a dog bone.
Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nebraska

122 posts
Member since Nov 2011
I got the motor mounts done and here are the pics. By the way, the header is the first one I ever built. I know the tubes are unequal length but getting to fit behind the original motor mount was a pain. I not trying to get every HP that I can but I think it will be better that the stock system. Next will be the other header then I will mount the engine/trans on the cradle hopfully for the last time.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what's with the date stamps on your pics???

------------------

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think the staggered motor mts. will be a problem. I do think you should use urethane for all 4 mounts instead of mixing urethane & rubber...
NICE work BTW.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 11-25-2012).]

Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its a mix if old pics, new pics, and two different cameras. I don't think the date was ever set on the one.

As for the bushings, I will be getting urathane for the transmission mounts.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump?

------------------

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its a mix if old pics, new pics, and two different cameras. I don't think the date was ever set on the one.

As for the bushings, I will be getting urathane for the transmission mounts.

nice job on the build so far keep it comming I love this kind of build
Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not worthy to have the original Bubba Joe comment on my build. His streched fiero is the inspiration for this build. I guess I need to post some progress. You guys keep me om my toes.
PFF
System Bot
Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nebraska

122 posts
Member since Nov 2011
I got the engine and tranny mounted to the cradle hopefully for the last time. Here are some pics.

Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nebraska

122 posts
Member since Nov 2011
It seems like the 84 Fiero was the odd ball when it comes to wiring but I think I got it figured out. My goal is to get the engine installed and get it started. The ECM is a 7730 with Ryan Hess's tune for the Northstar. I know at will run because I had it running on the cradle earlier. Now I just need to connect it to the fiero's wiring. I also welded in a battery holder. Here are some more pics.

Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nebraska

122 posts
Member since Nov 2011
I have been looking at building a set of 180 degree headers once I get the engine running in the car. Has anyone had any experince with 180 degree headers on a V8 ?
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have wanted to do this exact thing for years. Glad to see that it looks like I imagined. Only difference is that I plan to use a LS3 motor vice the N*. I will also lose the rear wing or use a different one and I'll use GT tail lights.

Great looking metal work too. nice looking mods to the cradle.

Please add more pics when you can. More of the car from different angles.

Rob
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dam nice job on the cradle but I would have mounted the battery in the rear for more space around the engine still love the true rear engine design
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it looks fantastic, too. Great job so far. Someday I may tackle something like this. Always wanted the engine longitudinal.

Now for my opinion: The only thing I would change would be the battery, but unlike Bubbajoexxx, I would move it up front.

Keep up the great work.

Bob

PS: you skipped something...What did you do for the adapter plate?

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 12-20-2012).]

Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Adapting the Northstar to the Audi trany was tricky. I spent many, many hours trying to figure out the easiest and least expensive way connect engine and tranny together. I don't know how much everybody knows about the Northstar but the water pump is at the back of the engine where the tranny mounts. Along with the water pump there is a big alumium piece called a water log the connects the two heads and the contains the water pump. This water log interferes with the tranny mount. see pic.

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Adapting the Northstar to the Audi trany was tricky. I spent many, many hours trying to figure out the easiest and least expensive way connect engine and tranny together. I don't know how much everybody knows about the Northstar but the water pump is at the back of the engine where the tranny mounts. Along with the water pump there is a big alumium piece called a water log the connects the two heads and the contains the water pump. This water log interferes with the tranny mount. see pic.

kenedy makes an adapter for this trans and engine
Nebraska

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NebraskaSend a Private Message to NebraskaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One good thing is that the Northstar has thesame tranny bolt pattern as a 60 degree V6. Kennedy Engineering sells an adapter for a 60 degree V6 to a Audi tranny. So I bought one. I figured that they did the hard part in getting everything lined up but I knew the adapter would need to be modified to fit adapter around the water log. The big problem is that where the adapter needs trimmed there is a alignment dowel for the Audi tranny. What I did was to mount the adapter to the tranny with both alignment dowels between the adapter and tranny. Then I drilled a hole through the adapter into the tranny and added my own dowel/pin. So now there are three alignment dowels. Next I removed the adapter from the tranny and cut the adapter to fit the Northstar. This cut removed one of the original alignment dowels but I sill had the other original dowel and the one that I installed to keep the tranny lined up to the adapter. Next I had to notch the tranny bellhousing to match the adapter and fit around the water log. I had a local welding shop weld in a braceon the belhousing just for extra protection. I don't have any pics of this procedure just the finished product, tranny mounted to the engine.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock