Started on: 10-23-2010 11:31 PM
Replies: 287 (14305 views)
Last post by: streetstockSS83 on 07-27-2013 08:34 AM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the build thread for the V-8 Fiero we're doing for CommanderKeen

CommanderKeen has been serving in Afghanistan for the last year & upoin his return home from his service, he found his Fiero had been stolen. You can read about it at //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/082229.html

This new thread is about the build of his Fiero.

He has plans to do a lot of things to this Fiero. We are installing an Injected ZZ4 Crate engine. We're also putting on a set of our Integrated Rocker panels & one of our GT Hatchbacks. He ha plans for a lot of other work when we are done. So he plans to take this thread all the way to the completion of the cat.

Here's what it looked like when it got to our place.

The car had been ragged on pretty good

It had 3 wheels on it that looked like aftermarket wheels for another car that had the correct bolt pattern but the wrong offset.

The car had been driven several thousand miles while in the possession of the car thief.

Someone had done an extreme lowering job on the car & the car was finally found abandoned along the hwy.

The engine was wasted. We didn't really care about the engine but we felt it would be nice to know if the trans. & the A/C were in operable condition. So we filled the cooling system with water, hooked up a battery & git it started. The head gaskets were shot & water ran out as fast as we could put it in. But we kept it running long enough to find that the trans & A/C system were still working.

Then we started on the V-8 swap...

As soon as we had the cradle out, the rear suspension was looked at.

When I talked to him on the phone about the suspension he was saying the suspension was still stock & I knew it wasn't. We finally realized that the thief had modified the suspension while they had it.

These pics explain the rear suspension....

Here's the front suspension....

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2010 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While decisions were being made about the suspension, the V-8 swap continued...

We has to do some rust repair in the area where the battery used to be. Other than that the chassis was in reaL good shape.

We worked at installing the V-8 onto the engine cradle.

As a gift, I had the engine cradle powdercoated & the CC90 headers ceramic coated.

We prepped the engine compartment.

And installed the engine

It was decided that the front & rear suspensions would be replaced with stock Fiero suspension pcs.

It the rear, that was easy, we just found a set of good springs & the upper hardware. Since the original struts were worn out, we bought a new set of struts & put them together with some poly bushings.

Here you see the car back on the floor with the rear susp. finished & the front suspension yet to do.

To return the front suspension to stock, we had to take off the front crossmember from a donor car.

It was then cleaned, new poly bushings were installed

Looks a little better...

Archie

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow - thief's that swapped out the suspension components for something aftermarket; albeit very half assed and incorrect. Unreal...

They really thought they were going to keep the car for sure and not get caught.

------------------
Is this where I insert something witty?

jasonfox

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2010 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate you helping out a fellow soldier Archie.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jasonfox:

I appreciate you helping out a fellow soldier Archie.

Thanks, Typically, when I know that someone is a veteran or active service member, I try to give them a bit of a discount on the V-8 kit parts. Also, when I do a turnkey install, I try to give them something extra that they didn't expect.

I'll be posting up some more pics to bring this build up to day later today.

Archie
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Thanks, Typically, when I know that someone is a veteran or active service member, I try to give them a bit of a discount on the V-8 kit parts. Also, when I do a turnkey install, I try to give them something extra that they didn't expect.

Archie

Outstanding.. Thanks from another vet

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To bring this up to date.....

We built the 2.5" exhaust on the car then took it off for High temp paint.

We put in the new trunk floor....

Here we're mocking up the location of the hatchback Kit

Notice how it will be sitting right down on the original trunk seal.

The rocker panel install was just like dozens of other sets we've installed.

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 10-24-2010).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
We then put the vents in the hatch .......

Then the 350Z rear window gets installed.....

After installing the new wheels, it's just about done here....

Archie
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2010 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie -

You ever happen to have a customer ask to install a wing on the new rear window piece? The more I see that thing the more I really like the looks of it.

------------------
Is this where I insert something witty?

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

A Wide Body kit and a Chop would finish that off pretty nicely...me thinks! And I almost forgot a 1" lowering kit too.. But other than that it still looks pretty good. I guess there is always something more to mod.
CommanderKeen

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I originally planned to do a widebody, however when my house was burglarized I lost everything of value I had. I'm sure anyone who's been a victim of major theft can tell you, even fully insured you still end up in the hole The Vehicle was the only thing recovered, it was abandoned about an hours drive from where I live. It had stolen or borrowed plates from another fiero on it. Some dick-head auto-engineering student had some of his stuff in the car, and claimed he bought the vehicle from someone and forgot to register it. Or whatever.

Anyway, the vehicle is going to Mr Norm at Norms Fiberglass for a front end, then will be coming back out to WA state. I plan on building a dash/console for it over the winter. In the Spring I will get it painted. I am thinking BMW Alpine White.
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So is that as far as the police go? He was in possesion of stolen property. Doesn't he have to reveal who he supposedly bought it from? Maybe he really did buy it from the thief.
CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

So is that as far as the police go? He was in possesion of stolen property. Doesn't he have to reveal who he supposedly bought it from? Maybe he really did buy it from the thief.

I got a couple updates from the police, the were following up on the car thing to try to maybe find all of my other stuff. Last time I talked to them I pretty much got the "found nothing out, moving on to other stuff" attitude. I had alot more pressing stuff going on though, like replacing and fixing everything that was messed up. At least I had the prudence to pay some movers to take my gun safe to a friends house, so thats about 30k in dangerous crap not floating around out there.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CommanderKeen

You have a PM

CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcaanda:

Archie -

You ever happen to have a customer ask to install a wing on the new rear window piece? The more I see that thing the more I really like the looks of it.

I thought about it, but I wanted to shoot for as much rear visibility as would be possible with the addition of the hatchback and the removal of the rear q panel windows.
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Anyway, the vehicle is going to Mr Norm at Norms Fiberglass for a front end, then will be coming back out to WA state."
JBFLM? . . . Uh, . . . bring your rain gear, and get in touch after ya muster in.

Norm

Ooops, I see your already here.

[This message has been edited by gt88norm (edited 10-26-2010).]

NullHead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NullHeadSend a Private Message to NullHeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that's awesome! First hatch back Fiero I've ever seen aside from the '90s concept.

Could we get a picture of the under side of the hatch, and from the rear of the car with the hatch up?
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NullHead:

Wow that's awesome! First hatch back Fiero I've ever seen aside from the '90s concept.

Could we get a picture of the under side of the hatch, and from the rear of the car with the hatch up?

Look up BubbaJoe(sp?), I think he had a hatchback project.
Also look @ Archie's site, as he is offering it for public consumption I believe.

The '90 concept car wasn't really a hatch, just separate engine and trunk covers. Still had the "flying buttresses".
And a DOHC!

Norm

[This message has been edited by gt88norm (edited 10-26-2010).]

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Never saw this one?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here's the thread that includes the designing of the Hatchback kit. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000085.html

& here's the info on my web site http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/Kit5.htm

Archie
JPH87

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an Archie hatch on my car and the quality is top notch
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JPH87:

I have an Archie hatch on my car and the quality is top notch

I thought they were only for fastbacks?
NullHead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NullHeadSend a Private Message to NullHeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow archie that's fantastic!

I really like the look of that. Perhaps a future Fiero of mine will have to make a visit to your shop .... hmm.
10speeder

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-27-2010 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 10speederSend a Private Message to 10speederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Howdy,
Hey that looks pretty neat! Fine job you have done there Archie!

Jay
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the idea of a secondary back window to help protect the difficult-to-replace stock one. I also think the hatch looks great! Let's get a stock spoiler on Cmdr. Keen's car for the sake of a couple photos, please.
MadDanceSkillz

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting one. That is just awesome! Great way to show off an engine swap.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.

For the last 2 days I've been meaning to get some pics with a wing sitting on the hatch, but I keep forgetting.

Tomorrow, I'l do it.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
We've got about 60 test miles on the engine swap & all is good.

We also installed the Fiero Store tail light covers that the owner ordered.

they are pretty nice.

As part of test driving, we had it up on the lift to check things over & I took a few pics.

We're pretty much done with it........ going to put about 40 more test miles on it tomorow & that's it.

Archie
GT-X

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Archie,

How much modification is needed to make your hatch fit a choptop? How much more would it cost?

~Tyler
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The little duck tail from a Saab 99 euro just below the back window,
not the Fiero wing style, please. Similar to the one on the 900s but
understated.

Norm

[This message has been edited by gt88norm (edited 10-28-2010).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ah, true duals. Love it!
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2010 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What the heck! I take a nap for a few days and I've been missing all of the fun!

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2010 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great build thread Archie. And kudos for helping out folks who have served their country

Keen....sorry this happened to you, but it looks like your Fiero may be the silver lining to the cloud. Keep us posted on the progress. The Alpine White paint sounds like a good choice.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2010 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the Norm's nose on yet?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2010 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Norm picked her up today.

Archie
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As part of test driving, we had it up on the lift to check things over & I took a few pics.

Is there a reason for not bridging the two paths of flow for "equalization" of pressure? I'm considering changing up my exhaust soon to true duals and had planned an "H" pipe design. Any adverse affects of not doing an H or X?

------------------

Check out my build!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Is there a reason for not bridging the two paths of flow for "equalization" of pressure? I'm considering changing up my exhaust soon to true duals and had planned an "H" pipe design. Any adverse affects of not doing an H or X?

Hopefully we'll hear from Archie himself, but looking at the picture of his exhaust system, how would you fit the H or X "bridge" between the cats and the mufflers? It would be pretty complicated to do in that limited space.

Besides, the H or X "bridge" ruins the sound. Duals always sound meaner when each bank is completely separate.
XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice build for sure SPC Samuel P Rogers.

[This message has been edited by XzotikGT (edited 11-03-2010).]

XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

XzotikGT

897 posts
Member since Mar 2004
!

XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2010 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

XzotikGT

897 posts
Member since Mar 2004
!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page