Started on: 03-20-2010 07:09 AM
Replies: 54 (5723 views)
Last post by: MarkS on 08-23-2015 09:11 AM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2011 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And requires race gas...

Or E85, but that doesn't help mileage.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 02-15-2011).]

IP: Logged
MarkS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2011 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the "large" MAF today along with a pigtail connector. Much better, at least the diameter of the throttle body. Seems I will have to locate another ESC module, lost track of the original...

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous
2001 Olds Silhouette (AKA The Band Van)

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Polled Comp Cams, Lunati, & Crower regarding a cam recommendation. Comp Cams & Crower came back suggesting essentially their biggest hydraulic cams, Lunati suggesting two steps down in size, definitely a milder cam....hmmm.

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Considering the dogbone location for my 3.8. Coming up with a solution would not be too difficult, no PS pump leaves that part of the engine pretty accessible. Then remebered how the engine was originally installed in the Electra, I don't think it had a DB. If you look at the picture, the AC compressor mount was also an engine mount bracket, I bought the mount that attaches to it from Rock Auto for $10. The location in the Fiero cradle would be about where the little hydraulic damper is on the 2.8. So, if this mount is used in conjunction with the 3800 mount on the other side = no dogbone?? Obviously, all the torsional twist of the engine would now be absorbed by the cradle, none transfered to the engine bay structure. There is a mechanical advantage to having the dogbone mounted further away from the crank centerline than this mount would be. Any experience or thoughts on this approach from the engine swap guys out there?

Thanks,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarkS:

Obviously, all the torsional twist of the engine would now be absorbed by the cradle, none transfered to the engine bay structure. There is a mechanical advantage to having the dogbone mounted further away from the crank centerline than this mount would be. Any experience or thoughts on this approach from the engine swap guys out there?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark, if you're using an auto transmission with this engine in your swap, I would say just put a mount right behind the differential housing on the auto trans and tie that to the rear-right side of the cradle; and then put a mount under the A/C compressor bracket and tie that to the front-right side of the cradle and you should be good to go - no dog bone needed (provided the mounts you are using are strong enough).

If you are using a manual transmission, then you're not really going to have anything to tie a right-rear mount into. Using the mount that goes right under the crank isn't going to be good enough if you don't have a dog-bone on that side; even if you are also using a mount under the A/C compressor. If this was going to be an N/A swap, you might be able to get away with it. But if you are going turbo, you're going to need a dog bone if you're using a manual trans. Not using a dog-bone in this instance will put too much stress on that one mount under the crank if you're going turbo.

Basically the engine/trans package needs to be supported in all 4 corners. You COULD build a dog bone that ran down from the cylinder head to the right-rear of the cradle and that should work. You don't need to have the dog-bone tying into the chassis. In fact, you'll get better isolation from the chassis/body if you only tie all your mounts into the cradle (and none into the body/chassis). Better isolation = less noise and vibration being transmitted into the passenger compartment.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, not much going on here lately.

But, I finally found an NOS ESC module for the anti-knock sensor at a little dealer somewhere in Ga. Ya never know....

Happy holidays all!

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2012 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still no progress here but this is not a dead end. Been busy with a lot of remodeling this last year which will continue for at least 6 mos more.

Been saving pennies for a set of aluminium heads, either the Champion or T/A's or maybe roller cam conversion instead. I put together a wiring harness conversion spread sheet, I have to move maybe 5 pins within the Fiero harness to have it match up and re-purposed for the Buick ECM. I suppose there is a tool for those connector pins?

Ho Ho Ho! Merry Christmas,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update to this three almost four year old thread.

It's still a viable project. I scored a set of reworked rods for the engine at a great price, less expensive than reworking the originals. In a week or two, the machining will start on the short block which includes .030" bore & torque plate honing, crankshaft grinding & polishing, & then complete reciprocating assembly balancing.

Talking myself into those aluminum heads...

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are the aluminum heads I'm considering for the 3.8. 1.9" / 1.6" valves. Price is reasonable..

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto

sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GN1 Heads eh? Nice! Gonna want a nice roller cam to take advantage of those!
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2014 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sleevePAPA:

GN1 Heads eh? Nice! Gonna want a nice roller cam to take advantage of those!

With the advent of the Morel roller lifters, might just do that!

BR's,

Mark
PFF
System Bot
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is an ECM conversion chart I put together to help re-purpose a few wires in Fiero harness.

BR's,

Mark
M0nk3y

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2015 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for M0nk3ySend a Private Message to M0nk3yEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if you're still working on the project. But I am currently doing the same swap with an 89 Vin C motor. The only thing left is the wiring. Unfortunately I can't use a distributor and must stick with the dis system.
Which is causing problems with which harness to use. Do you have any idea on which pins I would need to move when using the donor car, pontiac bonneville?
Eric_PA

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2015 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eric_PASend a Private Message to Eric_PAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About 15 years ago I did a performance build on a 1990 vin C 3.8. In the end I was running 14.2 quarter miles with valve float. I then went to 350# camaro springs and pulled off a 13.98 pass. At that point I was maxed out on the MAF sensor and injectors. In any case just wanted to mention you can get good power out of these with a performance build. I wish I still had my parts list but I do remember getting a cystom ground cam frim Delta camshaft.

sorry for typos and spelling (using phone)
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2015 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately, this project is no longer. I sold the 4spd Fiero a few months back. I still have the 85 3.8 and the parts if anyone is interested. Got the muscle car bug, which is really my roots. Still have the 86 auto Fiero whch is really a nice car and one I won't ever sell.

The 85 3.8 harness & computer is much like the Fiero's which makes it pretty simple, do not know about the 89 version.

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 Auto
65 Tempest 400 CID

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic