Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Born to be Blue......... A build diary (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Born to be Blue......... A build diary by infinitewill
Started on: 03-07-2010 10:46 PM
Replies: 120 (7387 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 03-18-2015 10:38 PM
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

Here are the original wheel and my newly recovered wheel side by side

Here is the thickness compared (sorry for the poor image but I had to use my phone as my cameras were all packed away)

And an installed shot (partial view much?)

\/\/

wow that looks so nice! How much did it cost to redo the stering wheel?

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 GT
"Gettin' There"

[This message has been edited by Lou and Blue (edited 01-15-2014).]

IP: Logged
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2014 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 03-19-2015).]

tuckerfleischmann

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tuckerfleischmannSend a Private Message to tuckerfleischmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Got my new seats installed today. Sure makes the rest of the interior look shabby! My original GT seat were in very good condition (8 of 10) with now rips , stains or tears but these sure class up the joint!

Thanks again Mark!

Dr. W.

What kind of seats are these? Mr. Mike? How much did they cost you?

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Major big changes in my build!!! My dream is finally becoming a reality.

Looks pretty good, Will. Congrats, nice purchase.

Bob
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dr. W.

All that AND power steering!
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great write up, Will. Sounds like a few bug to work out (no pun intended) and you will have a great ride.

Bob
sniper69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sniper69Send a Private Message to sniper69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dr. W. - I enjoyed the write-up and the paragraph about the LS4 gave a me a much needed chuckle this morning.
Hope the issues are quick to work out for you.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, after the 1621 mile drive home ...
I wanted to post a few observations about "features" of the car.

Now that you've driven that far with those issues, just imagine how excellent it will be when the kinks are worked out!
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

First, The Held/Westshore/Arraut Koni front and rear coilovers/suspension. This car is in SERIOUS need of a 4 corner alignment. Driving on rutted highways in the northwest was nothing shy of terrifying!!! This thing darted around more than a politician at tax time! Several times it was on the verge of being completely uncontrollable. I will have to look and see what setting they struts are set to but with the Fiero being as light as it is, I am guessing anything other than track use would dictate the softest settings.

Don't worry about the damper settings just yet. Get it properly aligned. You also shouldn't be driving it much until you align it since your tires could wear out VERY rapidly (hundreds of miles) if your toe is as far off as it sounds it is. Toe and caster both have noticeable effects on ride quality, and excessive toe will result in an unstable car and very rapid uneven tire wear.

Second, The C4 Power steering rack. I really wanted to like it but steering feel is way to light at highway speed. It was very nice in a parking situation but other than that it sure seems more hype than hip. Time will tell. maybe some of the others that have power steering installed can give me some pointers on modulating the effort curve.

You need a stiffer torsion bar in the spool valve. Contact Lee Manufacturing (http://lee-powersteering.com/) and tell them you want the spool valve in your steering rack reworked so that there's less assist.

Next, the 13" Corvette brakes and Willwood calipers.. This setup again has serious issues. Although it may stem from the alignment issues, tapping the brakes created a very hard pull to the right, tap again brakes worked straight as planned and great peddle feel. This car sat for nearly 4 years so my first thought was a sticking caliper or possible bleed issue.

That may also be pad knockback. Check rotor runout with the rotor mounted on the hub and tightened down with lug nuts. If the runout is excessive the pads and pistons can get knocked back and require excessive initial fluid to contact the rotor.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 05-29-2014).]

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More caster might fix the highway steering.i
Inferno

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are the chances that you have the product number for the radiator? I am looking for a new rad for my build and if I can get a 4 row over a 3 row I would love to. I have already sent a message to Champion Radiators, just waiting to see what they say.
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
like it ! Everything looks terrific. but why are the "Cooling Tubes" UNDER the front cross member ? (Lowersest point of the car ?)
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 03-18-2015).]

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The plate looks Awesome.
You could always get two pieces of aluminum and curve them and attach them to the fuel rail tabs.
Then drill two holes on each side of the plate and install the plate.
Just my idea.
topcat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 04:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome build. I'd place that plate on the underside of the deck lid where many folks put engine mirrors. The plate looks out of place on the engine itself... besides, I would not cover one bit of that engine.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The size that plate is, It might actually go well on the underside of the decklid. The Fuel rails are purty and shiny, the intake looks cool, those coils could maybe use a shiny cover?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-15-2014).]

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2014 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2014 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

.. My only concern with building a cover for the coil packs is trapping even more heat in them. Maybe Paul, Dobey or Ryan can chime in on this. Will

Maybe a coil cover with slits or holes cut in it to release heat, yet disguise the coils. Could also be mounted fairly high off the coils. But it looks like they make near fully enclosed ones so heat maybe isnt a concern:

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

I just searched "LS coil cover"

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-17-2014).]

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
jholda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jholdaSend a Private Message to jholdaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very impressed with the light mod. But How did you wire the new lights so that they're both constantly on, and then the outer one blinks when signaling? Thank you and great build!
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2015 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait to see you fulfill your dream.
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice jacket! I hope to see it in Frazee this year
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

like it ! Everything looks terrific. but why are the "Cooling Tubes" UNDER the front cross member ? (Lowersest point of the car ?)

It is an 88. That is the way the 88 cooling tubes are run.

infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Case closed. I'm done with this place.

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Case closed. I'm done with this place.

Did I miss something here?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave