Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) by MulletproofMonk
Started on: 09-04-2008 09:56 AM
Replies: 137 (23783 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 10-02-2016 08:40 PM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To remove rubber bushings without special tools or burning them out, check page 4 of my second link.

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

IP: Logged
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by benoitmalenfant:

SM might be wrong though.

It's been discussed before. The manual is wrong.
The rear hubs (similar design and bolt size) I see are 62 lb.ft. I think that's what was decided on for the fronts.
(For comparison, my Trailblazer uses similar, although obviously larger hub/bearing assemblies. It specs at 77 lb. ft.)
You can try to tighten the fronts to 220 if you want, but I think they'll break long before that.
benoitmalenfant

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
It's been discussed before. The manual is wrong.
The rear hubs (similar design and bolt size) I see are 62 lb.ft. I think that's what was decided on for the fronts.
(For comparison, my Trailblazer uses similar, although obviously larger hub/bearing assemblies. It specs at 77 lb. ft.)
You can try to tighten the fronts to 220 if you want, but I think they'll break long before that.

Well, another thing I just noticed. The conversion from NM to Lb/Ft is wrong as well:

260nm (Newton Meter) = roughly 191 lb/ft (not 220 lb/ft)

obviously someone read AND converted wrong back in 87 :

------------------
Ben
87 GT / 88 GT
84 Indy #1863

benoitmalenfant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

benoitmalenfant

288 posts
Member since Sep 2011
I just tried "untorquing" one of mine with my torque wrench (I know, I'm not supposed to do that, but I did it for the cause ) and at around 70 it started unscrewing.

So I guess 62ish is the right amount
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry. Hope I didn't come off sounding like an azz.
I just remember seeing this before. Thinking that they got the measurement confused with the one for the rear axle nut.
THAT one is ~200 lb.ft.
benoitmalenfant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Sorry. Hope I didn't come off sounding like an azz.

Not at all buddy, we're just discussing, it's all good and I think it's good someone points out the mistake in the book, will save the next guy from breaking a bolt while putting it back together!

I just remember seeing this before. Thinking that they got the measurement confused with the one for the rear axle nut.
THAT one is ~200 lb.ft.

A member of my local club thought they might have taken the measurement off a front wheel-drive assembly (cardan) where it would need to be torqued at around 200lb/ft.

Anyhow, 60-70 is what makes sense.

[This message has been edited by benoitmalenfant (edited 09-03-2013).]

PerKr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PerKrClick Here to visit PerKr's HomePageSend a Private Message to PerKrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm putting my front end back together and didn't note which bolt went where. Having put it back together it didn't look right, I had the long bolt at the rear and the short at the front. So corrected that, long bolt up front, short in the rear. Still doesn't look right. I'm slightly puzzled.

I like to use washers at both ends to help avoid scratching any protective coating when tightening. Plus the zinc coated washers act as sacrificial anodes just in case. Anyway, with the long bolt up front, there's quite a bit of the bolt sticking out past the nut. Plus its tip is pointy just like the short one shown previously in this thread. I'm not very fond of having that pointy end as close to the rubber boot on the steering rack as it currently is. I could probably come up with a way of putting a plastic or rubber cap on it but still...

For the short bolt I feel it is a bit short. It's short enough that I chose not to have a washer at the bolt head but only at the nut just to make sure that all the threads would engage. Also, this bolt looks more like the long bolt shown previously. This wouldn't be much of a problem if I could find washers half as thick as the ones I have now (which are about 2.5mm, or 0.097-0.1 inch) but as it is I'm not really digging it.

any thoughts?

*edit: just measured the rear bolt (front is a bit harder to get to once it's in place) and it's about 3.4 inch. Did the length vary over the years? I wouldn't find it hard to believe that the bolts were installed without washers from the factory so the rear bolt was just long enough and the front bolt was installed the other way around so the length really didn't matter when building the car.

[This message has been edited by PerKr (edited 03-08-2014).]

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PerKr:
any thoughts?

*edit: just measured the rear bolt (front is a bit harder to get to once it's in place) and it's about 3.4 inch. Did the length vary over the years? I wouldn't find it hard to believe that the bolts were installed without washers from the factory so the rear bolt was just long enough and the front bolt was installed the other way around so the length really didn't matter when building the car.

Just saw your post. I don't think that the bolts varied by years. You could always buy new bolts to replace them if you are careful enough to get the right grade bolt.
84-87 LOWER CONTROL ARM BOLTS & NUTS
darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great Write-up. Doing mine now, and this is very handy.

A couple of comments: I buy the SuperLube in tubes for extra lubrication. Look for PTFE. I bought a second grease gun just for this grease ( use it for my 4-link arms in my other car).

The Front LOWER A-arm bolt was giving me fits as well, hitting the rubber sleeve on the steering rack. I finally thought " what happens if I turn the steering wheel all the way to the right ( for the driver's side bolt)", and YES, it worked. Moved the boot totally out of the way. Don't know yet if the same trick is going to work for the passenger side or not.
Edit: yes, moving the steering to the other side gave me room on the passenger side, enough room to even use an impact wrench!

For getting the bushings out, I use a 1/8" drill bit. I drill down into the rubber next to the inner bushing, and then try and rotate the drill around the bushing while it is running. Usually it will "walk" it's way around the inner bushing and pull it right out. Once the inner is out, do the same thing around the outer edge of the bushing. I might use a slightly larger drill bit size here. I did 4 yesterday, and 3.5 came out OK. One of the bushings was really "stuck" to the housing, so I had to use more extreme measures to get that one completely out.
Edit: after I read this thread a second time, I saw that someone else had also posted this idea. Sorry for repeating something that was already available.

------------------
'87 GT in process, including GA / Seville brakes, Poly Suspension, '95 3800 Series 1 SC ( 225 hp ) T460e.

[This message has been edited by darbysan (edited 07-13-2015).]

MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2015 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:
A couple of comments: I buy the SuperLube in tubes for extra lubrication. Look for PTFE. I bought a second grease gun just for this grease ( use it for my 4-link arms in my other car).

I just ordered more grease from Summit.

I got stupid and bought the big tube since I was doing way too many poly installs... My intent was to install zerg fittings, but never did.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-19-1751

But you can get a couple of the small tubes.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-19-1750
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2016 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Resurrecting this old thread with some questions.

How does the installation hold up? Any wear on the poly?
I'm also replacing all my ball joints and tie rod ends with Rodney's. Is it wiser to just leave them as the came or to put those poly boots over the rubber ones too? Will the poly rub on the rubber boot?
PFF
System Bot
MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2016 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cebix:
How does the installation hold up? Any wear on the poly?
I'm also replacing all my ball joints and tie rod ends with Rodney's. Is it wiser to just leave them as the came or to put those poly boots over the rubber ones too? Will the poly rub on the rubber boot?

The poly has held up well for me, 2 years on the car. I didn't really corner hard in the car though. My buddy Matt corners hard in the LeMon/ChumpCar and it needed replaced within a year I think.

Use the rubber boots that came with the ball joints, they seal better. You can put the poly over top if you want, but it might compress the boot...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2016 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply!

I'm doing it on a daily driver. Did the whole front today, going to do the rear in a few days. Drives pretty hard after installing the poly bushings but it's good! Very, very tight. Only used the rubber caps, threw away all the poly ones.
RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2016 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm told by my mechanic that I should replace most of the front suspension. If I have poly installed with the new parts would it have a negative effect with the non-poly rear end suspension parts. Not quite sure which way to go with this, any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2016 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RPYRAZOO:

I'm told by my mechanic that I should replace most of the front suspension. If I have poly installed with the new parts would it have a negative effect with the non-poly rear end suspension parts. Not quite sure which way to go with this, any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich

My opinion is don't use poly at all. Just adds noise and creaks with no added performance benefits.
RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2016 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jason: What about all the positive aspects I hear about.. tighter, better cornering etc. that OEM bushings don't seem to offer. I'm still trying to decide which ones to have installed.
By the way, thanks for the input.
Rich
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2016 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh the car is very tight, feels like a modern suspension to me now at least in the city/hway daily driver way. Not doing any racing though.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2016 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have poly bushings in most places on my car as well. I have noticed a harsher ride but with more road control. Friends that have used these bushing have told me that they wear much faster than the rubber. Good for a show/hobby car but probably not the best for a regular street driven car.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock