86 chop top has begun by CTDIV
Started on: 04-19-2006 09:10 PM
Replies: 132 (8165 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 09-14-2013 12:22 AM
Bubbajuju

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I gotcha.
I thought it just needed trimmed and not formed as well.
Thanks.
IP: Logged
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In case noone has mentioned this, the transmission you got from the 84 in the field... It is one of the weakest ones out there case wise. Running the V8 on it is most likely going to crack the case.

Some of the 84 transmissions and later had ribbing cast into the case to help reinforce the case... I would be concerned, and at the very least, pick up a spare transmission for your car from a later model to have on hand.
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the info. I know that it will break. At this point I just want to make sure it will run and move. I am on the hunt for a new trans to have ready to go.
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's the '84 with the performance 4:11 axle gears you may just fall in love with it stoplight to stoplight. I would love to stock up on those trannies.
Unfortunately you can't just tell by looking at the case.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bubbajuju:

If it's the '84 with the performance 4:11 axle gears you may just fall in love with it stoplight to stoplight. .

If you mean the 4:10, then I can't imagine why? I find that 1st is way too short on a stock duke, It's going to be worst on a more powerful engine. They were the much more common transmission on the 84s and they are not particularly in demand.
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2007 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do mean 4:10.
I agree it has a very short first gear that's my main complaint but it leaps off the line and second gear is a good pull.
I just think it's a fun tranny.
I don't know how I got 4:11 on the brain. (maybe all those years of 4:20)
Mine is coupled up with a stock 2.8 ('86se)

[This message has been edited by Bubbajuju (edited 10-29-2007).]

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bubbajuju:

I do mean 4:10.
I agree it has a very short first gear that's my main complaint but it leaps off the line and second gear is a good pull.
I just think it's a fun tranny.
I don't know how I got 4:11 on the brain. (maybe all those years of 4:20)
Mine is coupled up with a stock 2.8 ('86se)

I had a 4.10 on my 2.8 for a year or so. I liked it, but the engine screamed when doing 65 down the highway. I went back to the 3.65 gearing that I started with, and eventually got into the Getrag. My Getrag is coming out this Saturday, and I am installing an Isuzu transmission. The Getrag has lost a shift fork inside, so I need to replace it.
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2007 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

I had a 4.10 on my 2.8 for a year or so. I liked it, but the engine screamed when doing 65 down the highway.

Yep I'm at 3500+rpm at 70mph. Really bad on mileage but so is my intown driving. I can't keep my foot out of it. I look forward to hearing how it is coupled with a v8.

Ok CTDIV, I'll shut up now and wait for updates.

[This message has been edited by Bubbajuju (edited 10-29-2007).]

CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2007 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I drove 6 hours and back to get this part from "ig88vsbobafett". It was a good ride dispite the tropical storm, Noel. Here is the picture of the stuff I got. Thanks again Aaron.

So When I got into NH and was heading over to Aaron's house. I had to stop at the ATM. This town was really small, just like my home town. There was a gas station there is this is what it was called. My wife and I could help but take a picture. It was meant to be...

Now it is all home and wet. Maybe I will get a chance to work on it tomorrow.

------------------

I owned a 1985 GT, New project is a 1986 SE. It will be a V-8 powered home brew chop top.

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anything ?
PFF
System Bot
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well thanks for the bump. I have been checking out the forum. With the holidays, I have been slacking on the posts. I do have a lot that I have been doing. First off I have everything now to complete the car. The only thin I am missing is weather. It is currently -10 degrees outside. I do have a bomber type heater in the shop but it can only do so much. So I will admit I am a wimp. So here is the list of stuff I have recieved and I have been working on some stuff inside. So I will post some picture for that as well.

Ready to install:

Complete set autometer gauges
all my logos and badging
Mr Mike Interior (Special thanks to Mike for the custom logo he did on the seat. CHeck them out below)
New Carpet
Exhaust from Archie
Complete Car stereo components

This logo is cool as hell.

Plan is for 3 10" subs. I have the set up to go as 1 behind each seat and one in a custom box in the front trunk area. It is all Soundstream, other then the Alpine head unit.

In adddition to all that. Check out what my wife got me for christmas................

It is a Chevy Silverado SS
6.0L 366 ci, 345 Horse AWD
20" rims
Loaded with Heated seats and mirrors
On Star, XM radio (I wish it had sirius)
Much More..... DID I MENTION THAT I LOVE MY WIFE???

------------------

I owned a 1985 GT, New project is a 1986 SE. It will be a V-8 powered home brew chop top.

2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sympathise with your heating problems. When I lived up there I had the same kind of heater in my garage. It could have me sweating from the waist up, but I couldn't keep my feet warm. And anything I had to do under a car or on the floor had to be done quickly as the floor never warmed up.

Like those seats.

Is this car going to be black like your 85 or do you have something else in mind?

Nice Silverado. Still have my 99 and it's been a great truck, but it's only got a 4.8. It's hard enough to feed that little engine. Another friend up there got a GMC with the 6.0 and the best he can do is 14-15 mpg if he babys it.

Dave
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2008 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would love to do black like my old 85, however it is so hard to keep. I still have not settled on a color, everytime I like about it. I keep coming back to black or flat black. My truck gets about 15 MPG. Oh Well I am thinking the fiero isn't going to get any better.

I will just wait for a break in the weather and then work on it then. Take care and I hope that you had a great holiday.

------------------

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2008 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good decision on going fastback.

I made that move myself.

Before

After

A chopped Fastback just looks better IMO.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 03-09-2008).]

CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2008 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really wanted to do the swap to fastback for sometime. I just was waiting for the parts. When I saw these come up. I just could not say no. Thanks for the interest.
fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2008 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any close-up pics of the lambo hinge? What universal kit did you use?
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2008 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time for an unofficial bump. Waiting for the next installment
War Hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2008 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP
CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spring time bump!
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW, This has been one hell of a winter. I have been very busy with work and when I seem to have time to work on the car, it has been to dam cold. In addition to that I have been traveling a lot as well. I was in San Diego the first of March and I just got bact from a family vacation At Disney in Florida. I wish I was still there with my car. I would have perfect weather to work on it then. The weather is starting to break and the snow is finally melting. I will be working on the car this weekend and I will do an update. Sorry for the lack of updates. Take care.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
SAFASTRO

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WooHoo!!!!
Glad to see you're back in action!
Lookiing forward to see some more progress.......let's keep our fingers crossed that the weather will stay nice for a while!!

------------------
Order your Official Pennock's Forum decals in this thread. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040445.html

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
'07 3900 V6 Crate Motor Conversion

SAFASTRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2008 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well...........?????

------------------
Order your Official Pennock's Forum decals in this thread. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040445.html

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
'07 3900 V6 Crate Motor Conversion

SAFASTRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2008 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just keepin it alive!!

------------------

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
350 V8 Conversion pushing 350 ponies!!

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2008 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've alot of interest in this thread. how are you cutting the side & rear glass ? I take it you just laid back the windshield & did not "chop" the front ? The "sail panels" (fiberglass), should be "interesting to get the fit & "rake" right.(have to split in the top /middle & fill, then cut & splice on both sides) looking forward to more pics !
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2008 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How are things going? Pics?
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2008 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump for one of my favorite threads. I've never seen a Fiero so stripped, cleaned and rolled over on it's side! How are things going with this project?
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2008 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
B u m p... How's it going Chuck?????
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2008 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has been a hell of a summer. This is the first time I have even logged onto the Fiero Forum in months. (Sorry about that) Long story short is that I have spent the summer siding, insulating and installing a new pellet stove in the house. The good news is that it is finished. During the this time the barn was full of siding material and a couple of times I could not even see the Fiero. Poor thing was buired in a coocoon of vinyl. Needless to say I can see the car and I am very eager to complete the project. I have managed some work over the summer and I will post some pictures soon. Thanks to those who are interested.

SAFASTRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2008 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HE'S ALIVE!!!!!
Glad to see you're back, and haven't for some reason abandoned the project!!!
Can't wait to see how things are going, and see some more progress pics!
Thanks for the update.

------------------

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
350 V8 Conversion pushing 350 ponies!!

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pics, pics !
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2008 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

any updates ?????
fieroboom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2008 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This topic definitely deserves a bump. I just started a complete tear down-clean-restore of my '85SE 2m6, and I really want to see where you are now.
Great thread, just need some more...
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Chuck, Are you okay???
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am doing great. I have been working a lot but I am still here. If I didn't live in the artic tundra I would be working on the car right now. I am a wimp in my old age.
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CTDIV:
If I didn't live in the artic tundra I would be working on the car right now. I am a wimp in my old age.

That's one of the reasons I moved out of there. Glad too hear from you

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spring bump.
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2009 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Spring bump.

he he he... Have to wait another month for Spring up there...Supposed to be between 17 and 20 f tonight.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2farnorth:

he he he... Have to wait another month for Spring up there...Supposed to be between 17 and 20 f tonight.

Dang !

Thank god i live in Florida ! i grew up in Ohio, but i don't miss that cold !

Absolutely gorgeous here lately.
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2009 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Chuck...... Any progress?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock