86 chop top has begun by CTDIV
Started on: 04-19-2006 09:10 PM
Replies: 132 (8163 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 09-14-2013 12:22 AM
CTDIV

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well first off this is a continuation of a thread that I started in the wrong spot. (sorry for that) this is the link if you would like to catch up. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/058570.html

So last week I got the cradle out of the car. I found it to be easier then other time I had done it. I kinda have 2 things going at the ame time. The 350 small block is being built as we speak and also going to start on the chop.

Anyway today I started working on the chop. I first drilled out the spot welds. That was the biggest pain. There are tons of then and when you think you got them all there was always one more. Once I got them all I made the cuts.

It was easier then I thought it would be. Once I got the inside parts out of the way. I started to get the wind shield to lay back. I used a 2x4 to hold the back section as I put tension on the pullies. I decided that I would call it a day and would go at it again this weekend.

I will post more pictures when I get them.

------------------

I owned a 1985 GT, New project is a 1986 SE. It will be a V-8 powered home brew chop top.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2006 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK I need some suggestions. I was out there tonight, getting ready for this weekend. I know that some people bend the b pillars in to match the roof. One question is, what is the best way to do this? Second question is what if you cut the middle of the roof and brought the roof to the b pillars?

------------------

I owned a 1985 GT, New project is a 1986 SE. It will be a V-8 powered home brew chop top.

CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2006 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does nobody know the answer? Please do not think I am trying to be rude. It is just a question.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2006 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CTDIV:

Does nobody know the answer? Please do not think I am trying to be rude. It is just a question.

Ask Shawnfl or F355 guys.

------------------

"Anyone can make a copy of something, it may look good but it ever is the real car, make something from your imagination, something unique, something nobody has, anything is possible and, ideas can be a reality."

hellbentkrusty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2006 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hellbentkrustySend a Private Message to hellbentkrustyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any update ??
did you stretch the top or not?
clynt
GT-X

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2006 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you're going to want to bend the lower part of the B pillars in to match the roof otherwise when you look at the car from behind the roof will look like a bubble on top of the car or some other odd thing. To do this I would cut out a small relief on the lower inner part of the B pillars and then pull them together.

Just my $.02
Tyler

Edit to note that you'll have a h**l of a time getting side windows to work if you don't bend the B pillars in cause none of the lines will match >_<

[This message has been edited by GT-X (edited 06-16-2006).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2006 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a bunch of homebrew choptop guys,.......

F355spider
Shawnfl
engineman
GT-X

plus tons of others,....(just do a few thread searches)

Just PM them i am sure they will be more than willing to help !

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 06-16-2006).]

shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2006 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just saw this thread. i don't know what it would look like widening the roof. what would you do with the windshield?

...anyway. i think you could pull the B pillars in two ways;

1.) notch the outside and pull them in or

2.) notch the inside and pull them in.

it seems to be easiest to notch the inside and pull them in. i used one notch on mine. low on the B pillar however, two would seem to give a smoother line for the new side window. at least in my mind it seems like it would. i have to get back to work now but tonight i'll post my thread and see if i can find 355's thread. it's really not that hard to do. just alot of messing around keeping things even and lined up. looks like you're off to a great start though.
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2006 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have finished te chop top part of the project. Well I actually finish about 2 weeks ago but I did not think anyone cared so I did not post pictures. Then I noticed that there was some activing on this topic so I thought I would go ahead and post the pictures I have. Today I started getting bottom side done. I flipped the car on its side and got to pessurewash, grind and the spray the rubber undercoating. I think it came out great. I am planning on flipping the car back around tomorrow and finishing the top. Here are the picture, and thank you for the feedback

------------------

shawnkfl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2006 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
damn! that's awesome! i wanted to do that to mine but the space i have is too small. the neighborhood people here wouldn't take that very well if i did it in my driveway either. please keep this thread alive. i've got it now that i've found it!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2006 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shawnkfl:

just saw this thread. i don't know what it would look like widening the roof. what would you do with the windshield?

That's what Orville did on widene his choptops using an extra piece from another Fiero a different front windshield.
PFF
System Bot
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2006 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the bumps and comments. I will keep this going. As a side note the V8 has just finish the work from the machine shop and I am waiting for the rebuild kit to arrive so I can get it put together. Once the frame work is done I am going to start the Crandle and front cross member. Should start getting things together by the end of July. Hope to have it completed next summer.

------------------

The Funkmaster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2006 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the work so far man, keep it goin I want to do the same kind of strip/clean/restore to mine one day soon, this is quite inspirational
hellbentkrusty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2006 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hellbentkrustySend a Private Message to hellbentkrustyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hi guy;
glad you came back!!
been reading all i can on chops lately and still got some Q
i noticed that there is about 1" rake front to back on yours ..is thar intentional or camera angle?

..ive got a spare one in the yard that im going to take the saw to tomorro
figure i should practice on a scrap one first!!

and let the fun begin.
clynt
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2006 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is what I was looking for. I decided that I was going to do a chop but with my own look. Of coarse I still have a long way to go, and I am not sure how it will look with the rear clip back on. I did want it to flow back down in the rear.

------------------

CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2006 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well Today was another great day and I was able to finish the frame. Here are some pictures of the fished project. Repaired painted and ready to begine assembly. I really like the way the chop came out. I think it will have a real flowing effect when it get put back together.

------------------

chopfren-z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chopfren-zSend a Private Message to chopfren-zEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some where on the forum, the roof was widened with a strip down the middle.I thank it was on a red notchback.
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2006 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some new updates. Sorry it took so long to get to do this. I have been busy getting some other things done. I will be posting some pics in the next post. Just want to keep this thing going.

------------------

CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2006 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CTDIV

112 posts
Member since Feb 2006
Ok so here are the pictures. I started the entire fron end. I had totally removed everything in the front and recondidtion it all except for new shocks and wheel bearings. I did this by purchasing a sand blast cabinet and it has paid for itself 10 times over already.

OK So above is what i did with everything. I sand blasted it and primed and painted.

Then I started putting it back together.

Then there were some parts the I just took the extra time to just sand and polish. As you look at the following pictures take note of the coolant pipes. They looked look complete hell. But I took about 4 days per pipe and polished them. Them I treated them with clear heat resistant paint.

The suspension came out good as well. The new bushings went in easier then I thought they would.

Well I will post more as I get it done.

------------------

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2006 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh My Goodness!! This is the most awesome restoration I have seen in a long time...the equivalent of a frame off restoration. I've never seen anyone take the time to polish coolant pipes. This car is going to be way too nice to drive is the only drawback.

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2006 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I LOVE threads like these!

Great work! Thanks for sharing your experience with us!
PFF
System Bot
FieroMGDriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2006 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMGDriverSend a Private Message to FieroMGDriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow. I think my wife would kill me if I attempted such a large scale project.
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job, keep it up!
Thanks for the pics, it really helps to see all those angles
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2006 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Earlier it was mentioned that their wife would kill them if they were to attemp this. I would agree with te statement in most cases but I am very lucky to have someone who is ok with it. I should also say that We are planning a wedding at the same time. She still wants to marry me so I guess I should really consider myself lucky.

------------------

CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so about a month ago I was driving down the road and I happen to be looking into the back field of this house that is just down the road from where I live. Don't ash me how, my fiance say I am just tuned into the smell of a fiero, I see the rear deck lid to a fiero. Sure enough it was a 1984 coupe and it took forever to find out who owned it and if they would be interested in selling it. When I got a hold of the guy he said, "if you can get it out of there you can have it." So since I had this weekend home, guess what I did. Here are some pictures and boy is it rough. But there are some major parts I really needed off of this car and it is really going to save me a boat load in parts.

Look at how full my garage is.

Anyway the main thing I wanted was the trans and all the items that make it a standard. My Chop Top car was an auto and That is just not going to cut it. The other parts are bumper for the front and the NON AC air duct. Will keep you posted on the progress. What does everyone think about the trans will it work of a v-8? I would like the 5 speed but this 4 speed should be ok, right?

------------------

2farnorth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok so about a month ago I was driving down the road and I happen to be looking into the back field of this house that is just down the road from where I live. Don't ash me how, my fiance say I am just tuned into the smell of a fiero, I see the rear deck lid to a fiero. Sure enough it was a 1984 coupe and it took forever to find out who owned it and if they would be interested in selling it. When I got a hold of the guy he said, "if you can get it out of there you can have it." So since I had this weekend home, guess what I did. Here are some pictures and boy is it rough. But there are some major parts I really needed off of this car and it is really going to save me a boat load in parts.

Anyway the main thing I wanted was the trans and all the items that make it a standard. My Chop Top car was an auto and That is just not going to cut it. The other parts are bumper for the front and the NON AC air duct. Will keep you posted on the progress. What does everyone think about the trans will it work of a v-8? I would like the 5 speed but this 4 speed should be ok, right?

If that is the one that was on the Houlton/Presque Isle road, I tried once to find out who owned it with no success. Glad you got it. Also is that POR-15 that you painted the frame with?

Dave

[This message has been edited by 2farnorth (edited 02-12-2007).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I love this thread !

About time for another update ??

P.S. How dare you say no one cared !!??

We loooooooove choptops !
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK well I have been very busy despite the lack of updates. However alot has gone on in the last few months. First and formost I got married on 9/16/06 and that was something that kept me busy for awhile. Then it was Christmas and in my line of work that took the rest of any free time I thought I had.... Uhhh plus its cold and I am a whimp, but then I bought a heater for the garage now I am fine.

Anyway, to answer any earlier post..... Dave that car is not the one that was on the north road. That one is still there just rotting away and he still refuses to sell it. As a matter of fact he will not even talk to me now. As a side note For all you Fiero Forum Members in Texas. Dave and his wife are some of the niciest people. With so few Fiero memebers here in Maine they are surley missed and Dave it was nice to here from you.

Now as for an update. I have been collecting parts for the last few months. I am planning on taking a vacation here in a couple weeks and I am going to be getting a lot done on the car. I will be posting some pictures soon. keep checking in.

------------------

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2007 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hereby give you the award for the most disassembled fiero on pennocks
SAFASTRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed you choppped this a little different then most guys.
It looks like the roofline is angled down in the rear. I have always wondered what this would look like compared to "the usual".
I like it!!!! Can't wait to see the body back on!
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2007 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will be interesting to see how this chop compares to mine once they are done

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 03-22-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok Here is an update. I have been on vacation the last week. The plan was to finish up the motor including getting the motor and trans on the cradle. To tell this story I have to go back awhile. Before I do SAFASTRO, I agree it is sloped more the usual and I wanted it to be that way. The plan is the front will be lowered and the rake will so what level the roof line. However that being said that picture is funny as it looks there to be more sloped than it really is. I can't wait to get the point where the panels go on either.

Ok so back to the story. In starting this project I was talking a lot with my dad who has always been into motors, cars and boats. He lives about 2 hours from me and although that may seem close we do not see each other everyday. Anyway, as this project got started the theme went like this. He I have a motor you can have. You will just have to do the machine work. I said great, having a 350 ready to go would give this project the push in the right direction. Then dad said we can build it together. A farther and son thing. I thought it would be great. The machine work was done in November and I went to get the motor after having already been done in the area for work. I brought he motor out to my dads and it sat there for the winter. Here is the picture.

So then I started buying parts. The My farther told me the block was a pre 86 block so I bought everything based on that. I went down on my first day of vacation and come to find out the block is really a 1988. So I was not able to get that done on my vacation. So I began the search for a new block and that search is still going on.

I decided to spend my vacation do what I could do. So I installed my Master cylinder, clutch (original car was auto), heater pipes, gas tank, and I cleaned up the transmission. I altered the tank so that it would be better suited for the Carbureted motor I took out the pump. I ran a solid line in the tank, blocked off the return line, and made better provisions for the venting of the tank. I then cleaned up the trans and made a trip to the local car wash. I will be doing some more up dates soon.

------------------

gm_fanatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2007 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gm_fanaticSend a Private Message to gm_fanaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its looking great, keep up the good work

------------------
1991 Geo Prizm - daily driver
1986 Pontiac Fiero SE
1991 Chevrolet S-10 - sold

chopfren-z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2007 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chopfren-zSend a Private Message to chopfren-zEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the mutt choptop you've probly seen it already ,theres some good info//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-066331.html

[This message has been edited by chopfren-z (edited 03-26-2007).]

brandon87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, thats some great work. How long did it take you to polish that transmission? Wish I had that much time on my hands, or someone that would let me spend that much time on projects like that
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2007 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it really did not take long. I first pressure washed the trans. The sprayed the hell out of it with Engine Gunk. Then pressure washed it again. The I sprayed it with Easy off oven cleaner. (be very careful stuff is real bad) Then pressure washed it yet again. Then I sanded the surface, and primed and painted. Before you know it it looks like the last picture. Just be sure to change the seals, it is a good idea anyway.

CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2007 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I have made some big progress. As always below are some pictures.

I made a cradle for my cradle, that roles around. That should make things easier as I finish up the drivetrain. Speaking of drive train. It is finally done. The motor is complete and should be doing a test fire next week. I will post more when I get more. I just had my birthday and my wife bought me a bunch of parts from the fiero store. Including complete stainless brake lines.

------------------

GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2007 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TTT Did you get the panels on yet ? More pics.
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2007 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chuck, that engine looks fantastic. Looking forward to more installments..

Dave
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2007 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not gotten the panels on yet. I am knida work at this project from both ends. I hope to be getting some stuff done soon. Thank for the kind words Dave. I will be posting more pic soon.

Chuck
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock