$100 brake upgrade by Phil
Started on: 04-04-2006 08:37 AM
Replies: 426 (57149 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 09-13-2023 08:09 AM
phoenixbeginning

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2010 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phoenixbeginningSend a Private Message to phoenixbeginningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a question...going with the bigger brake set up all around on my 88 formula...would a 1987 grand national set up improve my brake petal?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...AKE-BOOSTER-CYLINDER
Its bigger and its says its electric
IP: Logged
tstroud

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tstroudSend a Private Message to tstroudEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, Any progress on this yet?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If all goes well, I should be performing the "$100 Brake Upgrade" (which actually cost me about $140) today. I'll post some photos and info later.
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I asked Rodney if I should wait for his version. His reply "Probably never going to happen." So guess it is time to get out the BFH.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As promised, here is the info regarding my S10 booster install.

First of all, here is the list of parts I had to get:

-- Brake Booster, for '96 Chevy S10 (Cardone part # 54-71061)
-- 1 Coupling Nut, SAE 3/8"-16
-- 2 Jam Nuts, SAE 3/8"-16
-- 1 Thread Cutting Die, SAE 3/8"-16
-- 4 Nuts & Washers* (see below)

After removing the Fiero brake booster, the first thing I did was to measure the total distance from the back of the booster to the center of the eyelet on the pushrod. I measured approximately 9.375". I found that if I cut the S10 pushrod right at the base of the eyelet, I would need to add 5" of length to match the length of the Fiero pushrod. So I cut the Fiero pushrod 5" from the center of the eyelet. I also cut threads on both rods about 1" from the end. See photos below.

I then used the coupling nut and jam nuts to attach the piece of Fiero pushrod to the S10 booster. The two halves of the rod actually butt up against each other inside the coupling nut, which adds to its strength.

Next, I got out the BFH and started pounding on the Fiero. The photo below is a close-up of the area that needs to be "percussively adjusted". I also had to move the clutch hydraulic line to make room.

After cleaning the area and spraying on a coat of paint, it didn't look so bad.

Notice that I installed the brake booster bracket into the car first. I found that to be easier than trying to install the booster and bracket as an assembly. I also found that the pushrod was the perfect length to reach the brake pedal. No adjustment was necessary.

*Note: you will need 4 nuts (and preferably, 4 washers) to attach the S10 booster to the mounting bracket. I had some 15mm hex head nuts and matching washers in my parts bin (pulled from junkyard cars). I'm not 100% sure, but I think the threads are M10x1.5mm.

Anyway, here is what the S10 booster looks like installed.

I'd also like to add that I'm really impressed with the increase in braking power. This is the perfect compliment to my Grand Am brakes and Blazer master cylinder.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-19-2010).]

tstroud

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tstroudSend a Private Message to tstroudEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did the exact same thing today except I went to the junk yards and after looking over about 10 trucks I found a good booster for $30.00 and I got all the nuts that went with it too. The coupler and jam nuts cost me about $1.85.
I found it was difficult to cut the threads on the S10 booster rod . I had to get someone to hold the rod with vise grips while I cut the threads. I used red loctite on the coupling nut to booster rod threads and the jam nut. Once it was in the car I adjusted the coupling nut to pedal rod until the pedal topped out and backed it off a turn and tightened the jam nut.
The family got home just as I was finishing so I haven't got a chance to drive it yet. I'll report back tomorrow.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

VERY nice job
FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ron,
Thank you for doing such a great job of documenting and describing what you did.
The pictures are clear, well focused, and really help describe the process.
This is a valuable resource that will help a great many people, myself included.

Thanks again for a job well done.

~ Bob

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments. But my name is Mike.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

-- Brake Booster, for '96 Chevy S10 V6
-- 1 Coupling Nut, SAE 3/8"-16
-- 2 Jam Nuts, SAE 3/8"-16
-- 1 Thread Cutting Die, SAE 3/8"-16
-- 4 Nuts & Washers* (see below)

Looks a whole lot like what I did on page 5 of this thread.
Nice Job.
Threading those rods isn't too hard, just takes some time right?

I swapped the old OEM white plastic dust boot onto the new booster with a new felt disc installed in it.
Let us know how that new black rubber dust boot works out. Mine looked like it might hang up with the jam nuts and coupling nut when the pedal is depressed, so thats whay I used the original one.

Originally posted by randye:

The assembled rods:

The jam nut and coupling nut was threaded down all the way on the S-10 booster rod threads and set with Loctite.
After installing the booster in the car, the OEM rod was adjusted to the perfect length, attached to the brake pedal and the jam nut secured to the coupling nut with Loctite thread locker. The whole rod assembly is very secure with plenty of thread engagement, (>3X thread diameter of both rods).

So far I'm pretty happy with the improvement in braking.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 04-18-2010).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye: Looks a whole lot like what I did on page 5 of this thread.

I'll admit it. That's where I got the idea.

Cutting the threads on the S10 booster can be a little tricky, because you have to clamp the rod to keep it from spinning. But for the Fiero rod, you can clamp the eyelet in a vise and go to town.

edit to add: I'm not really worried about the dust boot. The interior of my car is not dusty. And the rubber boot has plenty of give in it.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-18-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the compliments. But my name is Mike.

Oops! Sorry. My bad as the kids would say.

Still a great post and much appreciated.

~ Bob
tstroud

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tstroudSend a Private Message to tstroudEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a chance to test mine out today. The improvement in the assist is very nice. This is definitely a good upgrade.
I would post pics but they are the same as randye and Blacktree posted.
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

-- Brake Booster, for '96 Chevy S10 V6

Please clarify if this was the 2 wheel drive booster for the '96 S10?

I ask because of a previous post where someone picked up the SU version for a 4 wheel drive S10 instead of the PP version for the 2 wheel drive S10. He stated his braking was not any better. I stopped by the junkyard Saturday and found 2 SU versions on 4WD S10's with anti-lock brakes. I was planning on picking up the booster and MC as a unit as the price is $15 total but don't want to make the same mistake.

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correct, that was me. As posted, I did this with an SU for my sister and the braking wasn't really any better. Idk what the difference is between them, but its NOT a mod I would rave over. Hopefully my issue is that it was NOT a PP booster. I have a bit of spare time this week, I may swap it out for the 2wd booster and see.

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 04-18-2010).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini: Please clarify if this was the 2 wheel drive booster for the '96 S10?

The parts store only had one part number (i.e. no 2WD or 4WD option), so I don't know. I tried to get the 2-letter code from my S10 booster, but apparently the sticker is hidden out of sight.

BTW, my old Fiero booster says PP on the sticker.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-18-2010).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting, anyone know what these 2 letter codes designate?
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Deleted to avoid confusion. The OP said he used a '96 S10 PICKUP (not a Blazer). I should read more carefully.

1994 was the last year for the S10 Blazer. In 1995 it became the S10 (which is the pickup truck) and the Blazer (which is the SUV). 2 totally separate animals. This is only important for us junkyard hunters. If you buy it new get the part mentioned below: Cardone Part No. 54-71061

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 04-29-2010).]

deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Autozone list only 1 number for 2wd and 4wd.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:
Rock Auto lists 2 different AC Delco boosters for the 97 Blazer (among other brands.) Check this description:

ACDELCO Part # 178628 More Info {#15234951}
BOOSTER,P/B 4 WHEEL DRIVE; w/BRAKE VAC PWR(JC1)

ACDELCO Part # 178621 {#18029999}
BOOSTER,P/B w/DBL DIAPH BOOS(JM3); PART OF 18022799

In that case, get the 2WD version. Or better yet, just get the '96 booster and not worry about it.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deezil:

Autozone list only 1 number for 2wd and 4wd.

This is what I got from Auto Zone
96 S-10 Blazer 2WD:

54-71061

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 04-19-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The one I got from Advance Auto Parts was exactly the same ( Cardone part # 54-71061 ).

Actually, I'll edit my previous post to add the part number.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-19-2010).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2010 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the plunge and did the swap. What a nice difference. I would most definitely recommend this to any Fiero owner.

Details: 90 Grand Am rotors/calipers both front/rear, Wearever Ceramic Brake Pads, Fiero Store SS Braided Brake Lines, '93 S10 Blazer 2WD Master Cylinder, and Cardone part # 54-71061 Power Brake Booster for '96 S10 Pickup.

And for those of you (like me) searching the junkyards, the booster labeled SU is the correct one. If it does not work it is a bad booster. Save your time and effort and buy the $98 reman version from the parts store. It is well worth your time and money. 2 of us so far have discovered this the hard way.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

I asked Rodney if I should wait for his version. His reply "Probably never going to happen." So guess it is time to get out the BFH.

New news. Have made some progress. Still 50/50 but might happen. Seemed to be a dead end for a long time.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have OK'd them to start making them. Will still take a few months or mre before I have them in stock. Will be basically the same as the S-10 booster. The push rod will be HD and 10 mm in diameter. Other than the hammering of the sheet metal they will be a direct fit. Price is probably going to be $189.00 plus shipping.

Compare to:

The new booster (A1 Cardone P/N A154-71061, cost me 110.31 @ AutoParts Warehouse. Unfirtunately, the core cost ($30) will be lost as the booseter is different and the old one is cut up.

Only $39 more and the push rod is the correct length plus larger in diameter.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, that is very good news.

Is yours a double diaphram unit?
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Is yours a double diaphram unit?

Of course. It would not be worth it to make a single. A single would have less gain than the factory dual.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, is this going to be available for 88s too??

Thanks,

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, loaded, 5-speed

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2010 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One size fits all years 84-88.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

aaron88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaron88Send a Private Message to aaron88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For what it's worth and I can't speak for previous years because I don't have the rebuild manual for them. However my manual shows that for 1988 Fiero the brake booster is a tandem diaphram booster. That would explain some of the varying results and why a larger diameter is required.

[This message has been edited by aaron88 (edited 06-19-2010).]

NewGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NewGTSend a Private Message to NewGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney,

Originally posted by Rodney:

The new booster (A1 Cardone P/N A154-71061, cost me 110.31 @ AutoParts Warehouse. Unfirtunately, the core cost ($30) will be lost as the booseter is different and the old one is cut up.

RockAuto.com sells the same part for $65.99 plus a $30 core charge (total 95.99) - quite a large savings over your quoted source. Plus you can often find 10% discount coupons on the internet.
PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NewGT:

Rodney,

RockAuto.com sells the same part for $65.99 plus a $30 core charge (total 95.99) - quite a large savings over your quoted source. Plus you can often find 10% discount coupons on the internet.

But you still have to do the cut and weld on the banjo. I would not trust that in my 88 Mera!!

Plus the Rock Auto booster is a rebuilt part. My boosters are all new. My boosters will have the correct banjo to fit the Fiero. How can you compare that to a rebuilt S-10 booster with the wrong banjo from Rock Auto?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

NewGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewGTSend a Private Message to NewGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney,

Sorry, but I was under the wrong impression (I need to read more carefully - I was misled by the part where you said "the new booster cost me") that you were taking the S10 booster and modifying it yourself, for a profit on the labor. I was merely providing you an alternate, less expensive source for the S10 part than the one you quoted. I didn't realize that you were having these boosters made from new parts, custom fitted for the Fiero.

Mike

[This message has been edited by NewGT (edited 06-19-2010).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one sample on hand. I am looking for someone to try it. You get a free booster for trying the sample. My only request is that you have already done this conversion. I want someone that has done the conversion and is driving their Fiero on a regular basis with the S-10 booster to try my sample. You will need to be able to install it as soon as you receive the booster. If all is OK I can have them start to make them.

Email me at rodney@rodneydickman.com

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can do that. PM sent.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 07-16-2010).]

ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to add that I completed this upgrade and the difference is amazing! I used a 97 S10 pickup booster and bought a $4 die, coupling nut, and jam nuts to extend the banjo and it was a piece of cake! Much easier, cleaner looking, and safer than cutting/welding.

ETA: And a big thanks to Blacktree. The post with the pictures and parts list a few above me made the whole project much easier!

[This message has been edited by ConvictedRedneck (edited 07-16-2010).]

jsketcham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jsketchamSend a Private Message to jsketchamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just a question for us Junk yard pull apart guys, is the 1996 S10 booster the same as other year S10's? like is a 1993-1996 the same? or is it just the 1996 all by its own? Never had a S10 and don't know what is the same year to year..
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

I have one sample on hand. I am looking for someone to try it. You get a free booster for trying the sample. My only request is that you have already done this conversion. I want someone that has done the conversion and is driving their Fiero on a regular basis with the S-10 booster to try my sample. You will need to be able to install it as soon as you receive the booster. If all is OK I can have them start to make them.

Email me at rodney@rodneydickman.com

Rodney, when are these going to be in stock?
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2010 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been testing Rodney's new booster for about a month now, and it works great. If he does decide to go ahead with production, this will definitely be a "gotta-have" item for just about any brake upgrade.
BuddaBelly

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2010 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BuddaBellySend a Private Message to BuddaBellyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So are these going to hit production soon? I'm getting ready to do brakes and this just makes sense.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock