Started on: 04-04-2006 08:37 AM
Replies: 426 (57151 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 09-13-2023 08:09 AM
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

I'm sorry. I did not know there were two sardonyx247's here.

Not me, but he obviously took offence to what you are saying.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 11-13-2014).]

IP: Logged
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Since people aren't chiming in against either product, apparently there isn't an issue with either vendor's product.

This is all about one persons personal dislike for me. As I have mentioned many times in the past I do not know what sardonyx247 has against me. I have asked him many times on this forum what he has against me. He has never answered that question. Jealous? Envious? I don't know. He doesn't say he had a bad experience with a purchase of any of my parts. Not sure if he has ever even purchased any of my parts. Says my 3.4 drill jig is faulty then can offer no proof. Now Zefyr chimes in and says he had a bad experience with me and again offers no documentation of this bad experience.

If Fiero owners here were having bad experiences with me personally or if my products were faulty there would be numerous posts concerning just that on this forum. Yet it is just one person (now maybe 2) recently posting negative things here. I have sold parts to thousands of Fiero owners for almost 20 years now and personally made over 4000 posts here.

I don't know what to do. sardonyx247 just wants to stick it to me for his own personal pleasure. Again: everything we have fought about starts with a jab from sardonyx247. What's your problem sardonyx247?

PS: The reason I ask if you are Chris West's son: Many many years ago I had a $10 minimum on my web page for credit cards. Chris West's son ordered some stickers that would have been around $5.00 or so with shipping. So I charged him $10.00. I was just getting into this business back then. I no longer do that. If someone orders a $2 sticker I usually just send it to them N/C. Now worth charging a card for that. There is no profit after expenses. Looking back I realize I should have not done that to Chris West's son or anyone else for that matter. I am sorry for that but live and learn. For many, many years after that Chris West's son jabbed at me whenever he could find an opening. He also upset others here and eventually he disappeared. Then not long after he disappeared a sardonyx247 comes on the forum. Same thing starts again from sardonyx247. This sardonyx247 jabs at me just like Chris West's son did. So that is why I ask if you are Chris Wests son. You never show your name so I have no way of knowing what your name actually is.
------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 11-13-2014).]

dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just stop. You're both losing from this line of posting. Much respect for both of you.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, dratts. People believe what they want. We aren't in high school, anymore.
Zefyr

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZefyrSend a Private Message to ZefyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Documentation? It was nearly 10 years ago. I inquired about your starter jig. I forget exactly what I asked, but your only response was, "Guess you'll have to buy it and read the directions." Sardonyx at the same time was kind enough to help me, via chat and his 3.4L swap thread, drill my 3.4L block and complete my first 3.4L swap. My avatar is a picture of my 86 GT with the back lifted by a forklift during that swap. (I got away with a lot at that job). I was willing to buy your part, but you lived up to your name, and it caused me to venture a little farther and see what I could accomplish. I guess I should actually thank you for that then.

[This message has been edited by Zefyr (edited 11-13-2014).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zefyr:

Documentation? It was nearly 10 years ago. I inquired about your starter jig. I forget exactly what I asked, but your only response was, "Guess you'll have to buy it and read the directions." Sardonyx at the same time was kind enough to help me, via chat and his 3.4L swap thread, drill my 3.4L block and complete my first 3.4L swap. My avatar is a picture of my 86 GT with the back lifted by a forklift during that swap. (I got away with a lot at that job). I was willing to buy your part, but you lived up to your name, and it caused me to venture a little farther and see what I could accomplish. I guess I should actually thank you for that then.

Never in my life would I tell anyone that. Another fabricated lie. I mean really.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Zefyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZefyrSend a Private Message to ZefyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Never in my life would I tell anyone that. Another fabricated lie. I mean really.

Do I really need to dig through my Emails and find your exact response? Would copy paste work? Or would you prefer a screen capture?
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zefyr:

Do I really need to dig through my Emails and find your exact response? Would copy paste work? Or would you prefer a screen capture?

Either is fine. Waiting.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PS: The reason I ask if you are Chris West's son: Many many years ago I had a $10 minimum on my web page for credit cards. Chris West's son ordered some stickers that would have been around $5.00 or so with shipping. So I charged him $10.00. I was just getting into this business back then. I no longer do that. If someone orders a $2 sticker I usually just send it to them N/C. Now worth charging a card for that. There is no profit after expenses. Looking back I realize I should have not done that to Chris West's son or anyone else for that matter. I am sorry for that but live and learn. For many, many years after that Chris West's son jabbed at me whenever he could find an opening. He also upset others here and eventually he disappeared. Then not long after he disappeared a sardonyx247 comes on the forum. Same thing starts again from sardonyx247. This sardonyx247 jabs at me just like Chris West's son did. So that is why I ask if you are Chris Wests son. You never show your name so I have no way of knowing what your name actually is.

It's funny because that is exactly what you did to me, BTW I am NOT West's son, but you should have learned from what you did to him, not to do it to other people. You over charged me on an order, when I asked why, you said I guess I could have charged you more. It wasn't so much the over charging, but the extreme arrogance you had thinking you could just over charge people, by saying you could have charged me more. And this wasn't even my first order from you, but it was my last. oh and I have told you this before when you first called me West's son. Technically what you did, well to both of us I see, was illegal. I don't even think I met his son, I have met Chris West many times, if I met his son I didn't even know it. Now you piss me off due to the cheap quality of parts you are farming out to China to mark up 10 times ripping off us Fiero owners. I understand profit, but you go way beyond with your markups. I don't like anyone or company sending jobs overseas, you are part of the problem, now it is hurting Fiero owners with quality issues, you may as well be walmart but without the cheap price. And your arrogance just got worse, you think you are all that, when someone says something bad about you, you call for people to defend you and give them negs, fight your own battles. Biggest thing of all is you need to humble yourself a bit and "get off your high horse"
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some stuff made overseas. Some stuff is made here in America. I generate profits. I have expenses. Employee wages.(yes I have a few employees), workers comp, unemployment insurance, tooling fees, shipping costs, storage fees, R&D costs, donations to car shows, shop expenses, tools, machines (yes I machine a fair amount of parts in my shop), heat and electricity, accounting, insurance, printing costs and the list goes on and on. Many of my parts from overseas I have to buy in large minimum quantities and it takes several years to sell them all. I have parts that I am a long way from breaking even on. I only profit on a parts after I pay the expenses and the cost of the parts. On many parts that the break even point is more than a few years. In the mean time I pay taxes on inventory every year. Many of the parts I have made overseas took a huge amount of effort and many years to get to the point of being made. Air freighting samples back and forth.

I don't see anyone complaining my parts are low quality. It is uber rare I ever have a return.

If I talked you you in a way that upset you I would guess it is because you were a jerk towards me. I don't see much of anyone on the forum saying I am a bad guy.

I see envy and jealousy.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No I wasn''t a jerk, I just asked why the over charge, then you said you could have charged me more, was very short.
You were the jerk in that case.
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 05:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003

I see envy and jealousy.

You don't have to be envyus and jealous of me though.
But nice to know you are.
Volksman247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Volksman247Send a Private Message to Volksman247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lurker from the shadows... Came for info on the brake booster bracket. I have ordered parts from Rodney and they have always been good quality, and I have no complaints about service.

FWIW
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome, volksman!
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a thing to think about, would you/anyone really want to trust thier brakes to a threaded rod, It can come loose/off, the odds may be high but do you want to be that one? Once you lose the rod you have NO brakes, I mean none. Booster fails, you can at least stand on it, you lose a brake line and either the front or back still work, you have the option/backup, the banjo/rod come apart and you have NOTHING, no option, no backup. Not worth anyones life.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:
Here is a thing to think about, would you/anyone really want to trust thier brakes to a threaded rod, It can come loose/off, the odds may be high but do you want to be that one? .

Now I won't say that GM is perfect, but they do put a lot of time/effort into designing safe and reliable products. GM used the threaded rods on millions of brake boosters, and I would tend to trust their R&D and safety assessment.
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

Just stop. You're both losing from this line of posting. Much respect for both of you.

I second dratts' quote. Both members have received praise for their offerings, but risk a perceived downgrade of their reputation by continuing a public tirade. Suggest that they PM each other and keep their dispute private. I plan to purchase one of these brake mods in the next few months. Haven't decided which one I'll go with, but this ongoing dispute will do nothing to make my decision. Have bought from both guys and have both been straight up. Will continue to buy from both, but would prefer to see this thread return to its original topic.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not fighting, I'm stating why I have a better product.

Mine also includes the bracket, reading through this thread anyone can see that removing the bracket is not always the easiest thing to do.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Volksman, did you get the info you needed on the bracket?
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Using my booster banjo extension and the Summit booster: You put some Locktite (included in my kit) on the threads. Screw on my banjo part. Tighten securely using the flats on both the booster push rod and my banjo end. Install in your Fiero. The chance of the booster rod loosening from the banjo extension end is about as close to zero as one can get.

PS: The threaded end on the Summit booster is 7/8" long. To fall off the banjo would need to be extended a minimum of 7/8" away from the booster. The pedal can only go so high and after that the brakes would maybe begin to drag. There is no internal rotational movement in a brake booster to cause the banjo to want to unthread.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 11-21-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do both kits require modification to the wheel well?

Edit: never mind found the answer

[This message has been edited by troyboy (edited 01-24-2015).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

taken apart by a backyard bozo mechanic and reassembled with some used parts.

I came here to post a thanks for my booster upgrade from sardonyx, and just read the last couple pages. Rodney, I was surprised at each post of yours that I read. You feel you had to resort to calling someone a "backyard bozo mechanic" to make yourself feel better? I am sorry, but that is just childish! Just about as childish as all of your "but he started it" posts. (as for your choice of name calling, he is the one using an OEM banjo from a Fiero brake booster, and not the one cobbling aftermarket parts together and then using lock-tight as a safety net).

Sardonyx has spent much time and money to provide something for the Fiero community, something you have said that you would not be doing many times over the past couple of years, so he filled the need. I called you just 3 months ago about a banjo, and you said you are not going to sell them due to possible legal issues. I had gained a lot of respect for you and your products over the past years. I have to agree with others in this thread when I say I have lost just about all respect for you. Not due to a inferior product, but due to the way you have acted and reacted to posts here in this thread.

As far as ease of use, I would choose sardonyx's brake upgrade option hands down. Order the tested brake booster, with the Fiero banjo installed, and bolt it in place.

OR, you could find and order a booster, then order Rodneys after market banjo, when they both arrive, screw the pieces together, and use thread lock and install the aftermarket "extension part" onto the S-10 brake booster. Then you need to drill out rivets and remove mounting hardware from the Fiero booster. Then purchase bolts, nuts and washers to transfer the mounting hardware onto the S-10 brake booster. Now you are ready to put the newly cobbled together booster on your Fiero.

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the kind of "Crap" that "Brought Down" CLASSICAL PONTIAC" ! you're arguing over something that may or may not have happened 10 YEARS AGO ! GET OVER IT ! If You don't like someone, Don't talk to Them ! you're acting like the leader of a "Linch mob". just Grow Up, LET IT GO. you're doing nothing but enciting other people.
Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too wanted the bigger booster. I used the 11" dual diaphragm unit from a 1995 Suburban, since I already had it.
This one had the "KD" marking on it and it has studs so reattaching the Fiero mounting bracket is a bolt-on affair.

[This message has been edited by Lunatic (edited 05-01-2015).]

85GT_3800SC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2015 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GT_3800SCSend a Private Message to 85GT_3800SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I posted earlier in this thread,that I put together a rod extension that attaches to the end of the "Tuff Stuff" booster,available from Summit Racing.Though the extension worked,it was not very pretty. This upgrade has been made more professional looking and is now very easy for anybody to complete with the brand new booster from Summit and an extension rod kit from Rodney Dickman for a total cost of just under $155.I removed my home-made rod extension and installed one of Rodney's extensions.It fit perfectly and looks good,matching up to the robust 5/8" diameter of the Summit booster rod. Here are a couple of pics of the install.

The rod extension kit arrives with the rod and some loctite for the threads

The extension is hardened and threaded to fit the Summit booster.

This is the Summit booster installed with the Fiero oem bracket (bracket has to be tranfered to the new booster).Sheetmetal has been adjusted to fit booster .

Here is the Summit booster rod as it sits with no extension,close to the brake pedal arm

Here, Rodney's extension arm is installed with some loctite on the threads.

[This message has been edited by 85GT_3800SC (edited 06-14-2015).]

Samuraijack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2016 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamuraijackSend a Private Message to SamuraijackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow what a read. Also my first experience with a heated battle.

my take away was some one found a solution and was providing said solution.

The product being sold was not rocket science and well tested.

A competitive solution came around, and used verbage that was informative and a threat to first solution.

I am un biased and will say if I was a well known name id want to keep a proffessional reputation.

all this aside as much as I now personally find Rodney not to be a steller representative of his company his solution is sound.

One point i didn't come across was that ordering a summit booster and just having the attachment makes it feasable to return a defective unit ( although a failure would be VERY rare )

dollars and cents for me personally being in Canada the rodney solution works best for me.

Its a free market, let you dollar speak for you.

a last note... there were numerous members showing a fast run to the salvage yard, to be their solution and no one attacked them for their choice...

Postive result for me today on the forum I found door glass! silver tinted from our friend Richard at ProSource Glass, phoned him up and was really impressed with his personality.

[This message has been edited by Samuraijack (edited 08-11-2016).]

Inferno

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2016 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You used a Master Cylinder from a 94 full sized blazer and it worked ok?

Originally posted by 85GT_3800SC:

I have been watching this thread for a while now. What a great brake upgrade this is! Thanks to Phil for coming up with this idea and to his and everyone else’s posts that helped me complete my own booster installation. I did the upgrade last summer and the results are impressive. I have the Grand Am front brake upgrade with a 1994 full size Blazer master cylinder and stock rear brakes. Before installing the larger booster, I replaced all rotors (with slotted) and calipers, installed ss braided lines all around and new carbo-met brake pads. I would say the brakes were good with this much done, but with the booster upgrade, now they are great. Much less pedal effort! I am happy with the upgrade but like other members on the forum, I want to install a brand new unit for peace of mind. I was all set to buy one of Rodney’s ready-to-go boosters, but he has ended the larger booster project for some reason. This post is for those who are looking for more of a ready-made solution.

While looking for a new booster to modify, I came across this item from Summit racing.

It looked familiar so I went to the Tuff Stuff website for more info and found this

Both sites showed that these boosters would fit 1973 – 1993 GM trucks. That sure increases the number of boosters that might be available in wrecking yards! But I was looking for a new/rebuilt booster.

Well, long story short, since the booster looked like a match for the upgrade, I ordered one of these from Summit and it arrived yesterday. It is the exact same size booster as the one I used from a 96 s10 on my booster upgrade. Here is what it looks like:

The only differences are not bad ones. The pushrod is a whopping 5/8” diameter, is much longer than the s10 pushrod, and it has a 3/8”NC thread on the rod end.

The bolt patterns match and a new booster to master cylinder rod is included

The pushrod is closer to the correct length to fit the Fiero. An extension to the rod end is still required. My extension uses a lock washer, a 3/8” NC coupling nut, a homemade adapter bolt (coarse to fine thread),a jam nut and a rod end I had that was 3/8”NF thread (will likely need to drill the rod end 3/8” hole out to fit the brake pedal pin).

The mounting bracket that came with the new booster is unusable on the Fiero, and must be removed. Here’s the new booster with bracket removed and the pushrod all together.

I will be putting it in on the next “warmer” day we have here in the “Great White North”. I don’t foresee any problems but will report back after the install.
While not directly plug and play like Rodney’s was going to be, I think this booster offers a rugged upgrade option with a minimal amount of work required. The cost of $125 from Summit does not require a core to be sent back.

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2018 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i will be doing this mod on my 84. Thanks to all for the info.
jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2018 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installed the Tuff Stuff (Hurst) 11" booster with Rodneys end a few months ago . Made a significant improvement in braking action.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2018 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

After carefully measuring what I needed for the assembled length, plus allowance for adjustments, I cut the OEM rod length to approx. 4.312 from the center of the eye to the end and threaded it a little over 1.50 inches

The S-10 booster rod was threaded about 1.25 inches.

The jam nut and coupling nut was threaded down all the way on the S-10 booster rod threads and set with Loctite.
After installing the booster in the car, the OEM rod was adjusted to the perfect length, attached to the brake pedal and the jam nut secured to the coupling nut with Loctite thread locker. The whole rod assembly is very secure with plenty of thread engagement, (>3X thread diameter of both rods).

So far I'm pretty happy with the improvement in braking.

This was WRONG advice for me. i cut my Fiero rod off at 4 3/8" from the center of the hole and cut the S10 rod off as long as i could make it. BUT my Fiero rod is at least 1/2 inch too short, and even tho i backed it out of the long nut 1/4" the brake light won't shut off. i have got to go to the junkyard Monday and get another Fiero rod cut to AT LEAST 5", or better yet, 5 1/4". i also wouldn't have 3x thread diameter if i were to back off the Fiero rod far enuf to disengage the brake light. i think that the brake light being on all the time is an indication that the atmospheric pressure valve is partially open as, altho i have much better braking, i only get one braking event before needing to "reload" the vacuum.

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

PFF
System Bot
Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2018 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Long john: if you used a grinder to cut the rod it could have heated the inside of the booster....I was having trouble on my first install with building boost I had to get another booster and use a hack saw to keep it cool

As for engagement to the brake light switch, I was also short just under .25” so I moved the light switch tab to activate at its new location, where the pedal sits is mostly irrelevant as long as you have the appropriate throw to engage the booster/master.

A quick test that I learned after the first booster was to suck on the end of the check valve and see if it holds vacuum....or I guess you could use a pump. This will tell you if it has a leak internally pretty quick.

You could als just get another long nut thread it to your existing long nut then continue as originally intended. This should make up for
your half inch and you should have better than 3x thread engagement then.

ETA: this is also on my ‘84

[This message has been edited by Red98422 (edited 10-13-2018).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2018 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Every time this 12 year old thread comes up, I can't help but feel that too many of you have been skipping leg day at the gym.

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2018 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red98422:

Long john: if you used a grinder to cut the rod it could have heated the inside of the booster....I was having trouble on my first install with building boost I had to get another booster and use a hack saw to keep it cool

As for engagement to the brake light switch, I was also short just under .25” so I moved the light switch tab to activate at its new location, where the pedal sits is mostly irrelevant as long as you have the appropriate throw to engage the booster/master.

A quick test that I learned after the first booster was to suck on the end of the check valve and see if it holds vacuum....or I guess you could use a pump. This will tell you if it has a leak internally pretty quick.

You could als just get another long nut thread it to your existing long nut then continue as originally intended. This should make up for
your half inch and you should have better than 3x thread engagement then.

ETA: this is also on my ‘84

My chop saw cuts so quickly that i doubt that it heated anything internally. im gonna do what you said for now, and get another rod from the junkyard later when i make another trip. My calculations were WAY off, i thot that i only needed to add 2" and that 4 3/8 " would be way more than enuf. NOT. However,i wanna drive till i take it off the road for the winter, so anything to get her on the road for another 2 weeks. The brakes are awesome even so. Good idea about sucking on the vacuum fitting. i'll try it. i doubt that i've lost vacuum, but you never know.

Originally posted by Patrick:
Every time this 12 year old thread comes up, I can't help but feel that too many of you have been skipping leg day at the gym.

Maybe this is boring for you, but this forum is not a social club for me but rather a resource of information that helps me keep my car on the road and performing better all the time. However, since i just saw this thread a coupla months ago, its fresh for me and i have enjoyed my brakes a lot so far. i'm glad i have done the mod, even with the hiccup of the rod length. i'm sure that its the right length for Randye but it wasn't for me, shoulda known better. Thanks to all who have made this thread what it is - a blessing to all Fiero owners.

jon

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2018 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:

Maybe this is boring for you, but this forum is not a social club for me but rather a resource of information that helps me keep my car on the road and performing better all the time.

Are you chastising me for injecting a bit of humor into this thread (which has gotten ugly at times)... or what?

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2018 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Are you chastising me for injecting a bit of humor into this thread (which has gotten ugly at times)... or what?

i guess i misinterpreted your post. Humor is OK.
blessings
jon

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2018 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:

i guess i misinterpreted your post. Humor is OK.

I don't know how else it could've been interpreted. Did you not get the connection between weak legs and the need for a larger power brake booster? It was just a joke, and I thought the picture was perfect.
Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2018 04:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick: FWIW, some of us have to skip legs to fit into our beloved cars as we are owners of the ultra rare non-adjustable steering column!!!

[This message has been edited by Red98422 (edited 10-14-2018).]

Red98422

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2018 04:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Red98422Send a Private Message to Red98422Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Red98422

114 posts
Member since Mar 2018
LJS: you should know by now us ‘84 owners always have to take extra precautions for mods just because we are the first year produced, glad to hear that you are driving and enjoying the upgrade! You are definitely a more serious enthusiast than I as you actually take the precaution to put her away for the winter. Don’t let this discourage further improvements for your car. As always just keep her running and keep her on the road better than before!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2018 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ironically, tthe response to Patrick's post proved his point.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock