Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Help! Screeching sound causing power loss (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Help! Screeching sound causing power loss by Enix
Started on: 06-19-2014 10:26 PM
Replies: 50 (1507 views)
Last post by: Enix on 07-02-2014 10:21 PM
GodSend

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Yes, you could have mice who took up residence in the air intake box/baffle. I didnt notice, did you replace the air filter too ? Ive seen them soaked with injested water and they swell up cutting off most of the air even after they dry out.

Ugh, sounds like a terrible way to die even for a mouse. What does a dried mouse look like anyways, furry beef jerky?
IP: Logged
Enix

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnixSend a Private Message to EnixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the air cleaner is a recently cleaned K&N. the air box and TB hose are all clean too. i also ran the engine with the TB hose off and the same problems persisted.

i'm so over this that i'm going to limp it over to a mechanic and just pay them to figure it out.

i've already spent 6 months car-less and had more than enough headaches trying to restore this one. =[
Enix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnixSend a Private Message to EnixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Enix

66 posts
Member since Mar 2007
thank you for all of your suggestions and help though!

even though my Fiero lets me down, the Fiero community is a great support system. =P
85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had problems like this with a couple vehicles. At least the power issue sounds like fuel. On the one vehicle where I was able to resolve the problem it was really just a clogged fuel filter. The PO had bypassed the filter with a line and a valve. I turned off the valve for fear it would drip onto the alternator below. The car was driveable but with very limited power. It would buck if pushed, especially over forty miles an hour. In Texas flatland I could do seventy after a very long acceleration.

The other vehicle was a van that had been modified to make it accessible. Somewhere I heard that people had run into problems in similar vehicles due to metal shavings getting into the gas line during the modification process. In that vehicle it would drive well when cold, but once warmed up it would buck if pressed even a little, although it would cruise at highway speeds without problems. I suspected the fuel pump, but after that failed and was replaced it still ran the same.

It's possible you have two problems. The fact that you were able to get rid of the screech and/or not hear it by removing the air intake might be an important clue. Good luck!
Enix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnixSend a Private Message to EnixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CLOSURE! the solution has been found!

after many days of contemplation, my friend and i came to an astoundingly simple hypothesis: the cat could be broken/clogged.

i took it to an exhaust shop and sure enough, the cat was clogged so badly that the back pressure created at high revs would "screech" exhaust past the manifold junctions. this also explains the power loss and inability to rev past 4k because the exhaust was constricted so badly. this also also explains the "O2 rich" code because exhaust was building in density before the cat.

the car drives GREAT now, sounds a lot better, and has so much more power in the upper revs!

i'm a happy camper. =]
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Enix:

CLOSURE! the solution has been found!

after many days of contemplation, my friend and i came to an astoundingly simple hypothesis: the cat could be broken/clogged.

i took it to an exhaust shop and sure enough, the cat was clogged so badly that the back pressure created at high revs would "screech" exhaust past the manifold junctions. this also explains the power loss and inability to rev past 4k because the exhaust was constricted so badly. this also also explains the "O2 rich" code because exhaust was building in density before the cat.

the car drives GREAT now, sounds a lot better, and has so much more power in the upper revs!

i'm a happy camper. =]

Great to hear you found a solution! Did you replace the converter or just delete it?
Enix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnixSend a Private Message to EnixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

Great to hear you found a solution! Did you replace the converter or just delete it?

i just replaced it. emissions is a must where i live.

i was going to have them flange it so i could throw a test pipe on whenever i wanted... but i like the sound of it as it is and am ultimately lazy when it comes to those sort of things.
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried it with the air box/canister top off?
BTW what type oil did you use for the breakin? Hopefully it was something like Royal Purple's breakin oil for push rod engines -IE it has zinc/something like it. Older push rod engines need special oil.

------------------
http://i16.photobucket.com/...ancis44/100_1147.jpg
[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/francis4
4/000_0451-1.jpg[/IMG]
trueleo.com

Enix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnixSend a Private Message to EnixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

Have you tried it with the air box/canister top off?
BTW what type oil did you use for the breakin? Hopefully it was something like Royal Purple's breakin oil for push rod engines -IE it has zinc/something like it. Older push rod engines need special oil.

everything is good, we discovered that the cat was clogged and causing all the problems. and yeah, i used an oil with some mild detergents and a zinc additive.
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I think if an air leak is so big that it runs lean it could hesitate and buck.
But I still dont know about a screech sound, or why an O2 rich code would show up..

If a cat us plugging could it cause this symptom?

Nice. The symptoms were there. No revs above 4.8k, engine lacks power. I got stuck on the noise.
Enix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnixSend a Private Message to EnixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Nice. The symptoms were there. No revs above 4.8k, engine lacks power. I got stuck on the noise.

yeah, my friend and i were stuck on the noise too. it was hopeless trying to track it down.

and i overlooked 2.5's comment about the cat! good call!
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay