Started on: 06-10-2014 07:42 AM
Replies: 10 (558 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 06-10-2014 01:45 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I know the window motors are not great to begin with on these cars but here's my issue. 86GT. My son and I just recently replaced the dew wipes on the car. The passenger side window gets progressively slower when putting them up. To the point now that he will not roll it down anymore for fear that they will not go completely back up. No AC, so this is problematic. I'm assuming the motor is about to crap out, but is there anything else that may cause this? Is the dew wipe pressing too hard on the window? Could the window be off track from installing the dew wipes? I have cleaned out the window switches when we first got the car, so I tend to think that is not the issue. Anything else I could be missing?

Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How was the window before the dew wipe replacement? I would suggest you loosen the top felt guides and see if the window goes up easier. If that is the case, they may be too tight. I had that issue when converting a manual window to power.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I purchased my car the passenger side would not go up on its own. I pulled up with my right hand, and pushed the up button with the other. It move up with very little assistance.

My window switches were the problem. There is a how to clean and re-lube thread here on PFF somewhere. Easy to do. I would do this before I did anything else first.

The how to rebuild thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090907-2-094660.html
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

How was the window before the dew wipe replacement?

Slow, but no issue getting all the way to the top.

Jim

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Slow, but no issue getting all the way to the top.

Jim

Is this with the car running or just on battery power? I would check the felt guides, just to be sure they are not too tight (the outside half can scratch the window over time if they are too tight).
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you find you do have a weak motor, I suggest a replacement from O'Reilys. Ive used them in a few cars and found them reliable. Advance and Autozone ones are crap. Last I got for the Astro were I think about $50 or $60. (prob same ones knowing GM)
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is this with the car running or just on battery power? I would check the felt guides, just to be sure they are not too tight (the outside half can scratch the window over time if they are too tight).

With car running. I am about to head out and start taking things apart now.

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

I would check the felt guides, just to be sure they are not too tight (the outside half can scratch the window over time if they are too tight).

This was the problem. I bent back the guide a little, and the window operates as normal now. That's the good news. Bad news is, I discovered antifreeze on the passenger side floor mat which means a bad heater core. I am off to do research on how to fix that. Ahh the life of owning a 25+ year old car.

Jim

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This was the problem. I bent back the guide a little, and the window operates as normal now. That's the good news. Bad news is, I discovered antifreeze on the passenger side floor mat which means a bad heater core. I am off to do research on how to fix that. Ahh the life of owning a 25+ year old car.

Jim

Good to hear. There is a 10mm bolt that moves this guide.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, you already had a plus from me.

Jim
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, you already had a plus from me.

Jim

Glad it was an easy fix
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors