1973 mach 1 build by cvxjet
Started on: 05-19-2021 12:49 AM
Replies: 6 (479 views)
Last post by: ray b on 09-27-2022 11:17 AM
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2021 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in 1990 I bought a '73 mach1 and started fixing/modifying it.

It has been a long time since I built this car so I will just list the modifications I did;

1) Installed a 5.0 FI engine with JBA stainless headers, custom spring-tower struts and an extended Fiero V6 air cleaner that used 2 filters stacked inside. (No Cat)

2) Installed an AOD automatic- after rebuilding it, and installed a customized police valve body. (Had to modify trans crossmember)

3) Installed Fiero seats (with speakers) custom recovered; Gray down center with black bolsters, blue piping between.

4) Installed a Mercury Cougar dash.

5) Installed modern flush mirrors from a 1980 Buick Riviera, with a joy stick from a 1990 Chrysler Le Baron switch (The Mustang Bezel screwed on the switch)

6) Built an air dam from ABS plastic, only air in front of radiator went under the hood (Below the bumper)....Then blocked off the grill above the bumper completely.

7) Installed KYB Gas Adjust shocks (Custom size up front)

8) Custom stabilizer bar set-up

9) 1986 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 steering box internals into Ford Box (High effort, quick ratio)

10) A "Philco AM Radio" cover for the AM/FM Cassette Stereo that would flip up and be pulled into the dash via engine vacuum- Plus a fuel pump kill/timer hooked to the dome light switches (Anti Car-jacking)

Sadly, I had to sell it in 1999 when the Torque converter starting coming apart, while I started a new job with a long commute (And the Fiero was not running good at the time(2nd gear lost plus engine tuning issues (3.4 F-body conversion)

Here is a diagram of how the air dam works compared to the original aero-disaster;

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 05-19-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2021 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Post lots of pics and details. I have gotten full asking price for all my cars no haggling when they see these threads.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap SOLD
12.840@104.8 MPH Intense-Racing 1.9 rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction SOLD

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap SOLD

88GT resurrection in progress.

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2022 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have found some more pics of this car;

Most people who saw the mirrors thought they were factory- they fit perfectly.

The last pic shows the Fiero seats w/headrest speakers...Recovered, gray in the middle with black bolsters...but does not show the blue piping between (Similar to the door panels)

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 08-21-2022).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2022 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ugh... a lot of emotions with this post.

The Mach-1 Mustangs have absolutely skyrocketed in price. You had to do what you had to do... worst thing you can do is keep a car that you can't or shouldn't afford at that time. But it's also sad to see these cars become so incredibly unattainable.

I mean, they're still out there, but the 71-73 models are basically getting snapped up and shipped out of the country. It happens... but there's a huge market in Saudi Arabia and other countries where the wealthy are buying these cars, fixing them up, and keeping them overseas. I can't be upset about it... they're getting restored / renovated... but still sad... hahah.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2022 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

82-T/A [At Work]

22714 posts
Member since Aug 2002
Just a comment on my last comment... Porsche 944s... how are these things so insanely priced now too?

I had one, and couldn't even give it away back in 2009. I sold it for $2,018 after I'd completely renovated the entire thing... I mean, everything on it was like new except the short block. And I basically had to give it away at $2,000 bucks.

Now, they're selling for $15,000 minimum in shitty condition. It's crazy...
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2022 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 944 was one of the best handling cars ever made; Everyone "knows that the Man's porsche is the 911"- which is constantly trying to kill drivers. I detest 911s....I like the 928, 924-44-68, and the Cayman.

The 924 was originally supposed to be an VW- but just as porsche finished development of it, VW management changed direction, so Porsche released the 924 as it's own....They did their standard "Develop a platform bit by bit to perfection"...From the 944 on it was a terrific car.

I should call up Saudi Arabia and tell them how to tune the 1971-73 Mustang suspension.....It saddens me that I had to sell mine- I bought the problematic (Used) AOD transmission from a coworker who lied about which year it was; "It's a 1994" ...when I finally checked out the numbers on the trans (After many mods and a full rebuild (Which I did myself) I found out it was a 1983 (First year) and they are known to be crap...Plus some crap parts from a cheap supplier. It wasn't easy back then (GM 4-spd autos could be purchased from numerous suppliers but not AODs)

I tried to look my Mustang up online but no records after 2001 (I sold it in 1999) Don't know if it was scrapped, wrecked or moved out of state...I have the money now to fix it completely- and now you can buy an AOD from several companies set up properly (And guaranteed)

Heck- maybe it is in Saudi Arabia....
ray b

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2022 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Just a comment on my last comment... Porsche 944s... how are these things so insanely priced now too?

I had one, and couldn't even give it away back in 2009. I sold it for $2,018 after I'd completely renovated the entire thing... I mean, everything on it was like new except the short block. And I basically had to give it away at $2,000 bucks.

Now, they're selling for $15,000 minimum in shitty condition. It's crazy...

had a 84 944 sadly an auto sold it for 1300 after my kid hit a 735
only paid 1g for the car

want an turbo but they went nuts in price just missed a 87 944t for 3500
guy sold it while I was driving up to get it

911 prices went beyond insane and drug the 914 944/968 price way up too

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: