Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Other Cars
  Wifey's 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Wifey's 1959 Austin Healey Sprite by lorennerol
Started on: 05-25-2015 02:06 PM
Replies: 50 (737 views)
Last post by: zetabird on 09-16-2015 04:22 PM
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Posting up some pics of my wife's car due to popular demand.

It was restored by her dad over a two year period (body work and paint jobbed out). He and I gave it to her as a surprise gift at a local car show on Father's Day 2014. It has a 1275cc BMC A-series motor with a custom cam, race exhaust, Datsun 210 five-speed tranny (common bolt-on mod), Weber side-draft carburetor, and front disc brakes. Sorry for the couple >300k photos. Might be time to bump that limit up a bit...not a lot of people left out there on 56k connections

My oldest daughter (for whom the Fiero is currently a daily driver) and my father-in-law on the morning that we gave wifey the car.
(the black top was temporary, it has a matching tan top, shown below)

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by lorennerol (edited 05-25-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is really a great job of restoration on a cool little car, congrats on a great present for the wife. Nice pics too.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool! Very nice car.
I hope that mrfiero chimes in. He has a Sprite that is damned near a daily driver.
Well... he drove it from Colorado to Huntsville AL for the Fiero Swap Meet one year.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Very cool! Very nice car.
I hope that mrfiero chimes in. He has a Sprite that is damned near a daily driver.
Well... he drove it from Colorado to Huntsville AL for the Fiero Swap Meet one year.

Heh....I commented in another thread that I am no longer the only Fiero & Bugeye owner on PFF. Yes....my Bugeye is in "driver" condition, but I will be tearing it down this summer/fall for a fresh coat of paint & new interior.

My little Sprite has been on many 1000+ mile road trips.....it's a ball to drive!

Sorry to hijack your thread lorennerol, but here's a picture of mine.....as you can see, it is not nearly as nice as yours (but by next year it'll be close!).

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:Sorry to hijack your thread lorennerol, but here's a picture of mine.....as you can see, it is not nearly as nice as yours (but by next year it'll be close!).

No apology necessary. The more (Sprites and Fieros), the merrier!

I wasn't at all into Sprites when I hatched this plan to give wifey her car. She liked them "because they look happy" and because her Dad has a long history with them, including racing one for years in SCCA. But the more I drive it, the more I really love its simplicity and the direct connection between the driver and what the car does. No traction control, no stability control, no shift lights, no rev matching, no nag lights, no computers of any kind whatsoever.

And since there's almost no insulation (heat or sound), the auditory experience is completely different, too. It's just a simple, raw, beautiful (and increasingly lost) kind of driving. I never imagined 70HP could be so fun.

mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've loved Bugeye Sprites since I saw my first one when I was in high school in 1986. I came very close to buying one in 1990, but wound up with an '88 Fiero GT instead. The next 16 years were all about the Fiero for me and owning a Bugeye sort of faded away. Then I found this one in 2006 that seemed like a great buy and the timing was right to take the plunge.

Over the years I've broken several axles, burned up 3 clutches and pulled the engine/trans at least 5 times. Like you said, they are such simple cars and they're a completely different experience to drive than anything modern. I also like the double takes from other drivers as they see me zip by them.

Mine has the Datsun 5-speed too, but it also has the A15 engine attached to it, along with twin 38mm Hitachi sidedraft carbs (SU clones) and a NISMO performance head with big valves. Some think that is sacrilegious, but it makes for a pretty quick & fun little car. It's been pretty reliable too (aside from the broken axles), so I have no regrets.

After 9 years of driving, it is showing it's age. It was restored in the late 80's/early 90's, but the paint quality used was pretty bad. I finally have the money to freshen it up, so by this time next year it'll be looking good.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I look forward to seeing in-progress and completion pics

My father is law is on to his next Sprite restoration. I helped him strip the body when we were in Tucson in April. In less than a hour we pulled the motor, took off the transmission, replaced the clutch, and put the tranny back on. Granted, he's done this many, many times, but I think after an hour trying to do this on my Sky or Fiero I'd still be scratching my head and going for more coffee.

In about seven hours total, the two of us reduced a running car with a bad clutch to a completely stripped tub, ready to go out for media blasting, body work, and paint.

Edit to add: Some people scoff at the Weber side draft on our car, but what I wanted for wifey is a reliable, fun to drive car. To each their own and motivations, and I can appreciate both the bone-stock, concours-aimed crowd with their 948s and 4-speeds, as well as the folks who've done the tube shock conversions and even (gasp!) dared to drop American V-8s in them.

mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll definitely start a thread here when the work starts.

BTW.....thanks for posting the pictures of your wife's Bugeye. It'll be good inspiration when I tear mine apart and start spending ungodly amounts of money.
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mrfiero

8996 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by lorennerol:

Edit to add: Some people scoff at the Weber side draft on our car, but what I wanted for wifey is a reliable, fun to drive car. To each their own and motivations, and I can appreciate both the bone-stock, concours-aimed crowd with their 948s and 4-speeds, as well as the folks who've done the tube shock conversions and even (gasp!) dared to drop American V-8s in them.

I posted after you added this. To me the Bugeye is like the Fiero.....it is a fun car to drive and tinker with, but will never be worth a whole lot of money. So who cares if it has a Weber carb or tube shocks (mine does...front & rear). I know most Spridget people don't care, but some are purists through and through and turn their noses up when they hear I have a Datsun engine. If the Bugeye ever becomes a high dollar collectible I still have the 948 & 4-speed to drop back in it, but I don't think that will ever happen.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While I'm sure there are exceptions, I think that 50 year mark pretty much tells the tale for values. The people for whom they were high school and college dreams are aging out. Or, in the case of the Healeys, some have moved up to the big cars- the 100/6 or 3000. Those started out about $1000 more than a Sprite, but now sell for 3 or 4 times as much. I've seen this happen with some Sky owners- they sold and moved to Corvettes.

I would like something with a V8 or more, but with five cars in a three car garage I've been telling people who've asked, "What's next?": Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.

jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the sprites I would love to own one but went went the Fiero and triumph gt6 route...

BTW. Who cares what the puristt thinks , I love the idea older car with updated drivetrain , I'm going with 5.3 / 4sp Muncie in the triumph.

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 05-27-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great looking car. I had a 79 MGB that was a lot of fun. As much as I love the look of the car, I have to wonder what they were smoking when somebody thought to put 2 huge headlights on top of the hood. Speaking of hood, how about some engine bay shots?
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

Great looking car. I had a 79 MGB that was a lot of fun. As much as I love the look of the car, I have to wonder what they were smoking when somebody thought to put 2 huge headlights on top of the hood. Speaking of hood, how about some engine bay shots?

The original design called for them to fold down like a Porsche 928 or Saab Sonnet (another car I'd like to own). The retraction mechanism got cut by the bean counters, but the headlights ironically became the namesake feature of that model Sprite, which itself is the most desired.

Engine bay looks good- clean. Wifey doesn't care much about mechanicals (as long as they work) so she didn't take any pics...and she won't open the bonnet at car shows I'll take some these eve and post them.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The original design called for them to fold down like a Porsche 928 or Saab Sonnet (another car I'd like to own). The retraction mechanism got cut by the bean counters, but the headlights ironically became the namesake feature of that model Sprite, which itself is the most desired.

Engine bay looks good- clean. Wifey doesn't care much about mechanicals (as long as they work) so she didn't take any pics...and she won't open the bonnet at car shows I'll take some these eve and post them.

Some of the nicest looking engine bays I've ever seen were on little British cars.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few hood-up pics.

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

While I'm sure there are exceptions, I think that 50 year mark pretty much tells the tale for values. The people for whom they were high school and college dreams are aging out. Or, in the case of the Healeys, some have moved up to the big cars- the 100/6 or 3000. Those started out about $1000 more than a Sprite, but now sell for 3 or 4 times as much. I've seen this happen with some Sky owners- they sold and moved to Corvettes.

I would like something with a V8 or more, but with five cars in a three car garage I've been telling people who've asked, "What's next?": Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.

You know, you can have your cake and eat it too. There is a local car show in downtown Saratoga where there's a guy who has a Hemi powered Bugeye. Believe me, it's a beast.
I have two pics of it in my phone right now but I need someone to host them for me.
Kit

tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a work of art.
Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gorgeous.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice engine bay pics. It looks like it has a lot of toe-out on the front end?
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very nice engine bay pics. It looks like it has a lot of toe-out on the front end?

In the pictures it looks undriveable, in fact I think there's just a good bit of close-up wide-angle distortion. But it's probably worth getting an alignment done.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw a beautiful Midget with a Chevy 3.4L, 4L60 and a turbo. Anyone seen a Sprite with this treatment?
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in the early 70's I went to school with someone that had a small block/powerglide in a sprite. SCARY fast.
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

I saw a beautiful Midget with a Chevy 3.4L, 4L60 and a turbo. Anyone seen a Sprite with this treatment?

I've seen a few V6 Spridgets, although none were turbocharged. Paul Herder (pherder here on PFF) was working on a 2.8/3.1/3.4 Spridget many years ago, but I'm not sure if he still has it or if it was a Sprite or a Midget (although both cars are essentially identical).

I wouldn't mind building one myself.....it'd make a nice cruiser.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Friend has a Sprite with a Ford Zetec (DOHC, 2.0l four, 130hp) and I think a T5 but maybe a T9 transmission. Fun car, I can't see the need a single more horsepower.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2015 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock, the Sprite weighs 1490 pounds. 130 HP would put it in the same class as my 4.9 0-60 Sky Red Line (turbo): 290 HP with tune, 3024 pounds.
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2015 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Stock, the Sprite weighs 1490 pounds. 130 HP would put it in the same class as my 4.9 0-60 Sky Red Line (turbo): 290 HP with tune, 3024 pounds.

Translation....The Redline motor would be just right.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2015 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Translation....The Redline motor would be just right.

That very thought has crossed my mind, for both the Sprite and the Fiero. A 290 HP/340 ft-lb torque Fiero would be nice. That 2.0 liter Ecotec they put in the Sky and Solstice is really quite nice.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2015 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Indeed - and I think the Zetec actually saves a few pounds!
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so can i join this group, i hopfully am picking up a 76 midget next weekend in trade, it needs paint and the new quarters the guy bought weleded in, they had dents and bondo and he didnt like it so they had a shop cut the old out and prep the new but they were never welded
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2015 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zetabird:

so can i join this group, i hopfully am picking up a 76 midget next weekend in trade, it needs paint and the new quarters the guy bought weleded in, they had dents and bondo and he didnt like it so they had a shop cut the old out and prep the new but they were never welded

Moss Motors and Victoria parts will be happy you're on board. Surprisingly, parts were easy to get and cheap too when I had my 79 MGB. Now about that 2.0 Turbo motor....
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2015 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

carnut122

9122 posts
Member since Jan 2004

That very thought has crossed my mind, for both the Sprite and the Fiero. A 290 HP/340 ft-lb torque Fiero would be nice. That 2.0 liter Ecotec they put in the Sky and Solstice is really quite nice.

I was thinking Mazda Wankel back 20 years ago when I had my MGB, but the Ecotec would be much better.
PFF
System Bot
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2015 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Working at a gm dealer im gonna do some looking, i think a 2.2 ecotec would be awesome, looks to. E close to the weight of the 1500 with 150 horse, turbo at a later date to around 200 with a 5 speed. I just need to see how hard it is to fit into the car
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2015 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zetabird

1303 posts
Member since Dec 2006

Moss Motors and Victoria parts will be happy you're on board. Surprisingly, parts were easy to get and cheap too when I had my 79 MGB. Now about that 2.0 Turbo motor....

I came across moss and another place that made a neat widebody ill lookinto the other one. Id like to get it welded back together and throw some paint on it and take it to tire racks vintage track days
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2015 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Id like to get it welded back together and throw some paint on it and take it to tire racks vintage track days

The sills under the doors rot out on those cars. Hopefully yours doesn't have that issue.
zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2015 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the driverside door was off, the rockers looked good all around im gonna hopfully pick it up tomrow if i can get the trailer to get it home. and one of the welders in the bodyshop at work may cut me a deal welking the quarters on
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2015 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the driverside door was off, the rockers looked good all around im gonna hopfully pick it up tomrow if i can get the trailer to get it home. and one of the welders in the bodyshop at work may cut me a deal welking the quarters on

Woo-hoo. I towed mine home from my Aunt's house in southern Florida (she gave it to me for free). I remember the first time I drove it; I couldn't believe how small it was and how vulnerable to a wreck I felt. Then I bought a motorcycle and the MGB felt like Ft. Knox.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2015 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First in class for wifey today at the Western Washington All British Field Meet. Was great to meet and chat and talk shop with some other Sprite owners!

carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2015 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations!
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2015 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations on the first place. What a great looking car.

------------------

zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
congrats looks good
i bet it feels safer than some bikes lol, i go pick mine up tomrow, to bad i just had a bad motorcycle accident so i wont be able to drive it for a year while my left ankle heals i kinda shattered it and broke my left wrist lol
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock