Custom Fit Car Cover by mr-riff
Started on: 11-03-2021 09:02 AM
Replies: 21 (386 views)
Last post by: 87_special on 11-17-2021 05:32 AM
mr-riff

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2021 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mr-riffSend a Private Message to mr-riffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking to purchase a new custom fit car cover for indoor storage. Any recommendations?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Skybax

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2021 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2021 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is what I went with on my last cover.

https://www.covercraft.com/...-hp-car-cover.C-CCHP

I just store inside but this cover is great if or out. It is very light and can be rolled into a very small roll. It repels water and so far dirt well. It is very light.

They even worked with me to cut it to fit my Indy scoop a coupe nose with a custom air dam and Fiero wing. They asked for photos and a couple measurements. They nailed it.

I no longer have an air dam sticking out and collecting dust.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2021 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had used Tyvek material covers for years. Tyvek is a very tough material and it stands up well to the weather for a while. After repeated foldings for storage, the covers do begin to crack and this will allow rain to seep through, so it's really best to use that type for indoor storage. They have a soft inner surface that's easy on the paint finish.

I had also used the Evolution 4 covers many years ago because my wife worked for the company that owned Evolution, and she got a decent discount. After her retirement, they were more than I wanted to spend on a cover. But they were good covers.

About a year ago, I switched over to Seal Skin car covers. It isn't exactly a custom fit with things like wing and mirror pockets, but it's sized properly that it doesn't drag the ground and it cups over the front and rear fascia of my 87 GT. It also fits well on m 86 SE. It has a flannel lining and the outer skin fells rubberized. It's for indoor and outdoor use and has a 10 year warranty. It has been in outdoor use now for about a year, always being on one of the cars, depending upon which I'm driving at the time.

With every cover I've ever had, water will pond on the deck lid and I have always purchased a large rubber ball or beach ball to place on the decklid, underneath the cover to cause the water to shed in that area.
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2021 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had good luck with Covercraft. The covers have a 3 year warranty and I usually send them in for replacement every year or so, so I get 4 covers out of it. Since the covers are like $100-120, it's still as cheap as the ebay specials with questionable matierials if you assume I get 4 of them vs 1 cheapie.

My biggest complaint is about 7 years ago some doofus Fiero owner told covercraft to change the GT cover design to make the sides shorter and the cover no longer covers the rocker panels. Guy probably had a Formula or something and ordered a GT cover and whined it didn't fit lol. Despite talking to even the main product engineer, they wouldn't revert back to the correct design but are using this new design. I have learned you an ask for an "old pattern" so I do that. One other complaint is the cover is custom except for the Dumbo mirror pockets. They aren't smart enough to use smaller pockets so everytime I have to ask for smaller pockets and longer sides on the bottoms so the cover fits right.
mr-riff

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2021 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mr-riffSend a Private Message to mr-riffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the response. Going to purchase a covercraft.

Ron
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2021 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had good luck with Covercraft. The covers have a 3 year warranty and I usually send them in for replacement every year or so, so I get 4 covers out of it. Since the covers are like $100-120, it's still as cheap as the ebay specials with questionable matierials if you assume I get 4 of them vs 1 cheapie.

My biggest complaint is about 7 years ago some doofus Fiero owner told covercraft to change the GT cover design to make the sides shorter and the cover no longer covers the rocker panels. Guy probably had a Formula or something and ordered a GT cover and whined it didn't fit lol. Despite talking to even the main product engineer, they wouldn't revert back to the correct design but are using this new design. I have learned you an ask for an "old pattern" so I do that. One other complaint is the cover is custom except for the Dumbo mirror pockets. They aren't smart enough to use smaller pockets so everytime I have to ask for smaller pockets and longer sides on the bottoms so the cover fits right.[/QUOTE]

It must be fixed. My Covercraft on the sides goes to the floor or right to it.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 11-05-2021).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2021 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

6000 posts
Member since Mar 2003
[IMG]https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/hyperv6/38227675-0AC1-41FC -BC01-10082F2DA7CD.jpeg[/IMG][IMG]https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/hyperv6/0467F406-B0B5-4861 -873D-C71A80453788.jpeg[/IMG][IMG]https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/hyperv6/D085DEBF-2247-42D9 -9C05-2856CA4EFC2C.heic[/IMG]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2021 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

6000 posts
Member since Mar 2003

My old cover was a 85 GT and between the Indy scoop and air dam the lower nose was never covered.

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 05:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hyperv6:

My biggest complaint is about 7 years ago some doofus Fiero owner told covercraft to change the GT cover design to make the sides shorter and the cover no longer covers the rocker panels. Guy probably had a Formula or something and ordered a GT cover and whined it didn't fit lol. Despite talking to even the main product engineer, they wouldn't revert back to the correct design but are using this new design. I have learned you an ask for an "old pattern" so I do that. One other complaint is the cover is custom except for the Dumbo mirror pockets. They aren't smart enough to use smaller pockets so everytime I have to ask for smaller pockets and longer sides on the bottoms so the cover fits right.

It must be fixed. My Covercraft on the sides goes to the floor or right to it.

[/QUOTE]

You don't have a GT fastback cover.

[This message has been edited by reinhart (edited 11-09-2021).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those with indoor covers: If they get dusty, is it hard to clean them? I keep my garage closed all winter and only open the door to get the snowblower in and out etc but by about March or so there is visible dust on the car.

The indoor covers I've seen have a kind of silky smooth outer surface to them. Maybe I can blow the dust off with the leaf blower before taking it off the car?
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For indoors nothing fancy is needed. I use 20 dollar covers from Fleet Farm. Some people use an old bed sheet. Its just for dust. Both are machine washable.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-09-2021).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2021 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

You don't have a GT fastback cover.

As I said I had my cover adjusted to account for the Indy scoop and the front air dam. Cover raft asked for measure to and photos and made it fit.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2021 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

6000 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by css9450:

Those with indoor covers: If they get dusty, is it hard to clean them? I keep my garage closed all winter and only open the door to get the snowblower in and out etc but by about March or so there is visible dust on the car.

The indoor covers I've seen have a kind of silky smooth outer surface to them. Maybe I can blow the dust off with the leaf blower before taking it off the car?

I have a metro master blaster car dryer blower and it blows the dust right off.
87_special

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2021 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_specialSend a Private Message to 87_specialEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the outdoor "platinum" from carcovers.com . They are semi-custom fit, which is pretty tight fitting on my wingless fastback. It could fit better but not bad for not having mirror pockets. It blocks UV, rain, snow, dirt, etc... really well. My car sat under an oak tree for a year with this cover and the cover and car are still in great condition. They have a lifetime warranty also. It was 189.99 when I purchased.
Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2021 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a covercraft and love it. It fits well with my IMSA wing on a notchback GT. Easy to wash and store.

~ Jen
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2021 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

For indoors nothing fancy is needed. I use 20 dollar covers from Fleet Farm. Some people use an old bed sheet. Its just for dust. Both are machine washable.

I guess that I'm in the budget club. I use the $25 medium size blue or gray import covers sold on eBay. Don't need the high end for indoor garage storage.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2021 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back when I used to keep my Fiero outdoors, I used an outdoor cover from the auto parts store. It was bulky, like it was designed for a short but much taller car than the Fiero. I don't miss it.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2021 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87_special:

I have the outdoor "platinum" from carcovers.com . They are semi-custom fit, which is pretty tight fitting on my wingless fastback. It could fit better but not bad for not having mirror pockets. It blocks UV, rain, snow, dirt, etc... really well. My car sat under an oak tree for a year with this cover and the cover and car are still in great condition. They have a lifetime warranty also. It was 189.99 when I purchased.

I never heard of the Platinum cover. Are you sure it's lifetime? When I got my first covercraft cover I don't remember seeing any covers with more than a 4 year warranty.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2021 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They have those inflatable car storage units now. We sell them at work and I thought about it before I had a heated garage.

We call em car condoms. Lol!

They are nice but you need space to use.

As for cost of a good cover this is how I see it. If you have a good car and a good paint a couple hundred for a good proper protective cover is a good investment of a paint job that could be thousands to replace.

My paint is spot on and black so that protection is key.

To me it’s like a guy spending $15,000 on a big power engine snd trying to run it with the old stock radiator for the engine of half the power. Too cheap to buy a good radiator when it is needed,

Now if you don’t need to protect the paint as much then I get it. But if you have a top original paint or you spent good money on a proper paint job then a few hundred for a good cover is cheap insurance.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 11-13-2021).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2021 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree if you need more of a cover, pay for it. What I was saying is if the car is indoors, and you are hence just keeping dust from falling on it, you probably dont IMO.
PFF
System Bot
87_special

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2021 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_specialSend a Private Message to 87_specialEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

I never heard of the Platinum cover. Are you sure it's lifetime? When I got my first covercraft cover I don't remember seeing any covers with more than a 4 year warranty.

Yes, lifetime warranty. I haven't had to use the warranty yet. I've ordered 2 covers from these guys. Platinum is part of their product line.

https://www.carcovers.com/c...tiac/fiero/1988.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock