Started on: 07-08-2021 10:56 PM
Replies: 5 (434 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 07-10-2021 07:36 AM
Skybax

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2021 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to throw this tip out there, due to the Fiero size and shape there are lots of sedan car covers that work great on a Fiero. Over the last 20 years I have picked up a few really nice used high-quality car covers for my Fiero's for a fraction of the price on CL and eBay. (people sell car and forget to include cover) This example below is a 100% cotton plush flannel indoor California Cover, they cost $350 new and I bought it for $35. This specific one was for a BMW sedan, as you can see it fits the front end perfectly, aligns with the mirror pockets perfectly, fits roof and sides perfectly, just a little extra at the rear that you can fold back onto the car...

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 11-03-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2021 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could I ask your solution for the antenna? I have a cover that was supposed to come with a silicone or rubber grommet, according to their ad. A hole had to be cut or punched in the proper place and the grommet inserted. After inquiring, they sent a small adhesive patch of the material with a hole in it. I'm supposing it's to reinforce a hole that I should make. I currently have the antenna removed.

As for my old tyvek cover, I just moved it over to my less valuable Fiero. Repurposed and as Joe Nameth says, "It's FREE"!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2021 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you know which BMW sedan? Or maybe since so many modern cars are the same it won't matter
Skybax

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2021 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Could I ask your solution for the antenna? I have a cover that was supposed to come with a silicone or rubber grommet, according to their ad. A hole had to be cut or punched in the proper place and the grommet inserted. After inquiring, they sent a small adhesive patch of the material with a hole in it. I'm supposing it's to reinforce a hole that I should make. I currently have the antenna removed.

As for my old tyvek cover, I just moved it over to my less valuable Fiero. Repurposed and as Joe Nameth says, "It's FREE"!

Prefer to leave the antenna attached (mine is about 10" high, half size than original) so I just make a tiny hole in the fabric. I plan on reinforcing area some day when a grommet to repurpose comes along.

Originally posted by 2.5:

Do you know which BMW sedan? Or maybe since so many modern cars are the same it won't matter

I can't remember if it was 5-series or 7-series, but yes most modern sedan covers will work because the general sloping shape is the same (Accord, Malibu, Etc) with more wiggle room, so from doors forward there is not much difference. I assume a modern 2-door coupe cover would fit better without the extra material at the rear, but might be too tight in other areas and not fit.

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 07-09-2021).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2021 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:
Prefer to leave the antenna attached (mine is about 10" high, half size than original) so I just make a tiny hole in the fabric. I plan on reinforcing area some day when a grommet to repurpose comes along.

I trimmed my antennas to half size as well, mainly for driving under a parking lift so the antenna doesnt drag on it. I use looser fitting thin car covers bought at Fleet Farm for 20 bucks for dust in the garage.They fit decent, even if I just let the antenna poke up at it. No mirror fit pockets though.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2021 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cover I have is a Seal Skin. It fits well, doesn't drag the ground anywhere, has reinforced grommets for an underbody cable, but doesn't have mirror pockets. A little too expensive to just poke a hole in it and hope wind buffeting it around doesn't rip it. It is a pain to install and remove the antenna to install the cover, especially when a quick rain comes along. It has a 10 year guarantee, so I guess I'll go ahead and punch the hole and add the adhesive patch. Per their instructions.

On my 'other' Fiero which isn't in such great shape, I have been using one of those cheaper covers made of paper. Keeps the heat out of the car, at least. When it went bad, I moved the tyvek from the 87 over to it. After being rolled and folded so many times, even tyvek gets little cracks that let rain through, but again, it too, keeps the heat out of the car.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock