Finally got a fiero! by yourfriendethan
Started on: 06-24-2021 10:12 PM
Replies: 23 (894 views)
Last post by: shemdogg on 08-04-2021 03:50 PM
yourfriendethan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2021 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yourfriendethanSend a Private Message to yourfriendethanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've wanted one of these cars for 20+ years.

Found one on ebay for a fair price last summer and snagged it up.

(missing oats or hall? not sure.)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2021 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very clean looking '86 GT.
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2021 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats, looks nice!

Last summer? What took you so long?
yourfriendethan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2021 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yourfriendethanSend a Private Message to yourfriendethanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had to do a handful of things before I could drive it.

1. new rear calipers and bleed all 4.
2. all new tires. the ones on it are LUMPY!
3. left (closest to cabin) exhaust manifold. original had a large hole in it. looks like someone attempted to repair it with booger welds.

Farted around for a month trying to get a used manifold from an online junkyard network. Finally got one! Bought a belt sander and cleaned it up myself. No-one in town does this anymore?

After sanding mating surface flat, I noticed it was the wrong manifold.. They sent me the right manifold instead. Apparently, they can't get a left one. Ever. Oh well. Sent the thing back for a refund.

Ordered a stainless manifold set from West Coast Fiero. Took awhile, but they sent me the left one first (after some pleading, haha) so i could take this thing out on the road! Still working on the right one.

[This message has been edited by yourfriendethan (edited 06-25-2021).]

yourfriendethan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2021 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yourfriendethanSend a Private Message to yourfriendethanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yourfriendethan

18 posts
Member since Sep 2020

Originally posted by Skybax:

Congrats, looks nice!

Last summer? What took you so long?

To post updates?

Maybe some clarification. I saw the ebay ad summer of 2020, bought it summer of 2020 as well.

Haven't gotten around to posting any updates until recently.

yourfriendethan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2021 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yourfriendethanSend a Private Message to yourfriendethanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yourfriendethan

18 posts
Member since Sep 2020
Found an original 1986 Indiana plate for this years registration.

yourfriendethan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2021 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yourfriendethanSend a Private Message to yourfriendethanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yourfriendethan

18 posts
Member since Sep 2020
Mr Mikes seats! Love that made in the USA sticker.

Drivers side mounts were rusty AF. Threw these in the blaster and cleaned them up.

Old seat covers. I removed both of the Fiero badges, might use them for something later.

Finished drivers seat

I also painted the the speaker grills. They were a weird blue color? Looking around the forum, I see that others have the same blue color for the grills. Looked ugly to me, so they are black now. Matches the seats pretty well.

yourfriendethan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2021 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yourfriendethanSend a Private Message to yourfriendethanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car has an alarming amount of body roll..

Thought about buying a suspension kit from The Fiero Store. I wish they would post better pictures and give more details on what is in some of the kits..

Anyhoo, found an Eibach spring kit on amazon and a KYB shocks and strut kit on RockAuto all for just under $400. If the weather cooperates, I'll be working on this after work this week.

Installed the fronts afterwork on Monday. Super quick install. The old ones pretty quickly shriveled up once removed. These are OE for sure. Took it for a drive after. Man, what a difference! Body roll is less noticeable and stopping/steering has improved a ton!

The rear end still shakes harder than Miley Cyrus (twerks?) when I turn sharp from side to side, but much less than before.

Got most of this cleaned up. Thick flakey rust all over this part on the drivers rear strut. Took a break from working on it. Standing for a couple of hours blasting parts gets tiring..

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2021 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yourfriendethan:

rear exhaust manifold. original had a large hole in it. looks like someone attempted to repair it with booger welds.

Farted around for a month trying to get a used manifold from an online junkyard network. Finally got one! Bought a belt sander and cleaned it up myself. No-one in town does this anymore?

After sanding mating surface flat, I noticed it was the wrong manifold.. They sent me the front manifold instead. Apparently, they can't get one. Ever. Oh well. Sent the thing back for a refund.

Ordered a stainless manifold set from West Coast Fiero. Took awhile, but they sent me the rear. Still working on the front.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

I suspect the possible reason for the mix-up is that you may be referring to the exhaust manifolds incorrectly. The rear manifold is the one closest to the trunk, closest to the rear of the car. The front manifold, the one that normally requires replacement (and why they're rarer), is the one closest to the front of the car.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-25-2021).]

Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2021 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking Fiero.

When I got my 88 it would wag its tail on quick lane changes. It's the only Fiero and mid engine car I have driven and at first I thought that's just what they do. It turned out to be a loose rear hub, replaced it and got a good 4 wheel alignment and now it's solid.
yourfriendethan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2021 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yourfriendethanSend a Private Message to yourfriendethanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I suspect the possible reason for the mix-up is that you may be referring to the exhaust manifolds incorrectly. The rear manifold is the one closest to the trunk, closest to the rear of the car. The front manifold, the one that normally requires replacement (and why they're rarer), is the one closest to the front of the car.

Thanks for this clarification info. I'm relaying months old information from my memory (bad idea haha). I went over it with the sales guy when I ordered it over the phone, "I want the manifold closest to the cabin." He seemed to know a lot about Fieros. We settled on "left manifold" as the term. Which makes sense, the trans points to the drivers side. Im assuming the end junk yard had it mislabeled as "left" in their system.

Ordering, receiving, cleaning, and returning the wrong part from the junkyard network took like a month. Got tired of waiting and just ordered the stainless set from WCF. Other than the huge turnaround, I'm pretty happy with the product.

Made the terminology corrections in previous posts.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2021 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yourfriendethan:

I went over it with the sales guy when I ordered it over the phone, "I want the manifold closest to the cabin." He seemed to know a lot about Fieros. We settled on "left manifold" as the term. Which makes sense, the trans points to the drivers side. Im assuming the end junk yard had it mislabeled as "left" in their system.

I do understand why the front exhaust manifold for a 2.8 Fiero might be referred to (by some) as the "left" one (ie longitudinal 2.8 Camaro installation)... but man oh man, referring to parts on a transverse mounted engine as "left" or "right" will only lead to screw-ups at some point... and it did!
yourfriendethan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2021 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yourfriendethanSend a Private Message to yourfriendethanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol, agreed. the whole thing was a cluster f*** to say the least. i still have nightmares.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2021 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I do understand why the front exhaust manifold for a 2.8 Fiero might be referred to (by some) as the "left" one (ie longitudinal 2.8 Camaro installation)... but man oh man, referring to parts on a transverse mounted engine as "left" or "right" will only lead to screw-ups at some point... and it did!

LOL I get so used to working on my Fiero, it sometimes takes a minute to re-orient myself when I work on a "normal" car. "Oh, yeah, the water pump / serpentine belt / thermostat / or whatever is over on THIS end of the engine!"

tammy71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2021 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tammy71Send a Private Message to tammy71Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1985 Pontiac Fiero GT
My mud life crisis car I bought for my 50th birthday
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2021 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tammy71:

Youngster
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2021 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tammy71:

1985 Pontiac Fiero GT

Most people would normally just get a jeep.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-31-2021).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2021 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ummm, I don't really know what to say. Very very sad news Here.
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-31-2021 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ummm, I don't really know what to say. Very very sad news Here.

That's terrible. Out of respect & for education purpose, is there any more details on how his Fiero was jacked up?

Even though, there is a picture in those manual books on how to set it up, it's still confusing for a lot of people, including me.

And I see people still setting it up wrong from pics or on youtube all the time.

To honor his memory, we should have a thread to educate all of us on safety & how to set up jack stands properly.

I see there are few threads, but it weren't very clear. So, I'll go ahead & set up a thread.

Here's a link to honor his memory.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vice (edited 08-01-2021).]

Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2021 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Terrible news, this one really stings, just posted a thread on this 10 weeks ago...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/145122.html

Thoughts and prayers.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2021 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's incredibly sad.. I remember smiling when I first saw his thread, he was so happy to have his Fiero. My heart goes out to his wife, family and friends.
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2021 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rest in Peace Ethan.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2021 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Incredibly sad. RIP Ethan.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2021 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RIP friend! Im really bummed reading this. Anybody know of a go fund me or anything? Id like to send something to his family.

shem

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock