My trailer build by NightMare Cruiser
Started on: 06-05-2021 08:25 PM
Replies: 19 (486 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 06-18-2021 08:49 PM
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2021 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been working on this on and off ( mostly off) for 1.5 yrs. getting closer. Still needs filler, paint, fabricate sail panels, trim and for me to buy a trailer hitch

[IMG]http://images.fieroforu m.com/userimages/NightMare%2520Cruiser/74909DC3-9AEC-4305-B746-E92F1DB65FCD.jpeg[/IMG][img]http://images.fieroforu m.com/userimages/NightMare%2520Cruiser/8FF7A073-C0FD-4DBF-8DBD-1CA3A73AD5AA.jpeg[/img].

[This message has been edited by NightMare Cruiser (edited 06-06-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen a few different versions of these. I like how yours is coming along. I particularly like the smooth front you are working with the sheet metal. Others have done "so so" jobs on that area.
NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2021 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not perfect at all. However, it will serve its purpose. Made from mostly spare parts. I know there will be people that will point out its flaws.

jdv

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2021 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice project.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2021 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll agree nice project but too much fab work for me right now. Also appears heavy. I plan to go with a small $600 motorcycle trailer. Between that and the trunk we should be covered for a few day trip.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2021 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I'll agree nice project but too much fab work for me right now. Also appears heavy. I plan to go with a small $600 motorcycle trailer. Between that and the trunk we should be covered for a few day trip.

Heavy? How??

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2021 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NightMare Cruiser:

Heavy? How??

I am making my comparison to a small tow motorcycle trailer that I believe is suitable for a Fiero. I would think that you have a significant part of the space frame, body parts, OEM 15" wheels and cradle but weighing it full may provide a better idea of its capability
A class 1 hitch rating means that you can tow a jet ski, motorcycle or scooter, small cargo box, or bike rack. Even though this class of hitch has a towing capacity of up to 2,000 lbs., a smaller car like a Fiero may not be able to handle the additional load. I believe that it comes down to your vehicles towing capacity/capability based on the powertrain, cooling system, brakes and frame design.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2021 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Heavy? How??
Read the Owners Manual etc.
Fiero and Thousands of other cars are Not made to tow anything.
If you do, the limit is 100# Tongue and 1000# Draw Weights.

Draw Weight is Total Mass means Trailer and Load.

Find a "Cat Scale" at a Truck Stop etc and weigh the trailer. I'm guessing just the trailer eats a big chunk of 1000#.

More important, Car's GVWR on label on door that's likely to damage to read... For Fiero GVWR is The Car and all Fluids, 2 Standard "people" and 100# cargo.
Standard People is/was 90 Percentage Male Crash Test "Dummy" weighing ~ 190#. (I'm told may have update that to calc new GVWR because of how many obese people now.)

You weight more then that, have too much crap or worse Both then Car is Over Weight causing performance and legal problems.
GM made Brakes Transmissions etc to work w/ GVWR.
And while Cars don't get stopped by Cops for Over Weight but if you crash, can have Insurance problems etc.

Adding a Tow Hitch counts as Cargo.
Then add a Trailer that you have to Stop etc just makes more issues/problems.
Plus you likely will have problem saving "rear window." Even w/o Glass will drag the car or worse problems when wind hits the sides.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2021 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Orge, are you always condescending?

NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2021 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NightMare Cruiser

2034 posts
Member since Aug 2009
There is no space frame or cradle.

I am making my comparison to a small tow motorcycle trailer that I believe is suitable for a Fiero. I would think that you have a significant part of the space frame, body parts, OEM 15" wheels and cradle but weighing it full may provide a better idea of its capability
A class 1 hitch rating means that you can tow a jet ski, motorcycle or scooter, small cargo box, or bike rack. Even though this class of hitch has a towing capacity of up to 2,000 lbs., a smaller car like a Fiero may not be able to handle the additional load. I believe that it comes down to your vehicles towing capacity/capability based on the powertrain, cooling system, brakes and frame design.

NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2021 04:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NightMare Cruiser

2034 posts
Member since Aug 2009
Besides, this is for show / shows, not travel. I have a daily driver for travel. As you can see, it is a utility trailer with fiero parts mounted to it. I’d have to venture and say it weighs less then most wave runners not counting the trailer.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2021 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
So everyone is supposed to be awed by a build that is Not even remotely unique or new. (No, that not a question.) Several times has been done here alone in various ways and some are far better looking like...
from https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...040223-1-035784.html

Other had kept the "back window" w/ and w/o glass like you and look bad too and worse causes more drag etc eating more MPG and other problems.

You ask a Q and No Clue what a "heavy trailer" means let alone that term often is ref to the tow vehicle used... (Tow 2000lb behind F350 or C3500 and they won't even notice.)
These new pics prove what?
I already guess most of this because of tongue length and shape and other pics.
And use Edit to remove the space at .fieroforu m.com in 2 img tags that are "broken" above. Pics are there but the space break the tag.

Your trailer likely started as this type... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...110502-1-070402.html
Very likely the base trailer weights around 200# before adding the floor and walls then now the Fiero body parts and extra metal to hold them.
If trailer is close to balance on the axle now then can become unstable towing. You need ~ 10% tongue heavy empty and loaded for this reason.
You have Fiero Taillights but may need other lights/reflectors to be legal everywhere you tow it. Base Trailer or low box it became before this may have some rules that are different because of length width and/or height. (Like many Trailer taillight kits often have side markers built into them for this reason.)

Also, same thread is showing a car Over Weight by ~ 1100lb... GVWR for most Fiero is Under ~ 3100lb or ~ 1400kg
May "look ok" on a scale to many people and maybe under GVWR for the trailer But these 1 axle trailers Have No Brakes so The Car has to Stop the Trailer and it's Load on it On Top of whatever else as The Car was likely still Over Loaded w/o the trailer going by the scale display. Yet Many people claim "Fiero Brakes Suck" even when they work right....
dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be sure to put LED lights on it. And upgrade the brakes.

Oh, and carry a fire extinguisher. (Have I covered it all? Maybe something about Arduinos...)

-- A
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2021 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[]

Understatement.. he insults, harasses and mistreats most members every chance he gets. I bite my tongue all the time with him, he seems to want to be insulted and critiqued as he treats others. But we won't be seeing anything he owns, I'm sure.

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2021 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:
Understatement.. he insults, harasses and mistreats most members every chance he gets. I bite my tongue all the time with him, he seems to want to be insulted and critiqued as he treats others. But we won't be seeing anything he owns, I'm sure.

i am getting tired of it as well. Surely he can get his information and warnings across to us without insulting another guys project.

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 3800SC, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2021 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

He is a freakin' TROLL! The part where he says others have done it and did it better was funny! At no point did I say I was done. I said its my project. I met him once about 8yrs ago and he was a jackass back then. I sold him a iron duke motor. He showed up with this better then GOD attitude. If it wasn't that he was giving me money I would told him to get the hell out of here.

Is it me, I have never seen a positive post from him. He acts like the ORGE area is the Fiero Bible.

I don't mean to drag drama into here. However, I was just showing what I have been working on. I don't see him ranking on guys who have been "building" their cars for years and years now.

I know I don't post much on here. I have to ask, Why hasn't he been banned?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2021 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long as you keep the tongue weight reasonable that trailer should work and it looks like it belongs. When I put my hitch on the convertible I am more concerned with getting it to install around the special exhaust used in my swap. Might have to build a special hitch but I will probably choose to keep the total load at 500lbs/50 lb tongue weight which should be easy. A few years back there was a guy from Texas that attended Carlisle and the 1000 mile trip was made safely there and back with a motorcycle trailer. He did say that braking was only mildly affected but the trailer stopped straight and true. A motorcycle trailer would be my preference as I intend to do some 65mph highway driving. It won't look as nice as yours but your trailer may turn out to be great for the highway. Excellent job BTW!

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2021 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Excellent job BTW!

I like it too. A lightweight shell that surrounds an off-the-shelf storebought trailer.

Makes me want to start accumulating parts to build one myself someday.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2021 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why hasn't he been banned?

Careful what you ask for. He's done an awful lot for the community. And especially this forum. He is pretty much a "charter member". Been here as long as the Forum has.
I still refer to his site, from time to time.

He had a stroke a few years back, and is (or at least was) doing most of his typing with one hand.
Just that would make me a bit salty. (It certainly seemed to change his demeanor.)

I'm not defending his condescending attitude. It is what it is. (He did choose "ogre" for a user name, after all.)
Just respect what he's done for us.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-18-2021).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2021 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not putting down your craftsmanship, but based on the experience of my brother and a neighbor, each had a single tongue trailer. My brother's came from Tractor Supply. I don't know where the neighbor got his. The single tongue doesn't steady the trailer and can lead to the trailer whipping. I would suggest adding an A brace from the tongue to the side rails of the trailer frame.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock