Started on: 04-15-2008 06:11 PM
Replies: 38
Last post by: madcurl on 05-12-2009 02:29 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Well long story short. I have wanted a trailer for my Fiero for a very long time. However in BC even a used junk trailer made from a pickup box, or other scrap seemed to be selling for 500-800 bucks. All I really wanted was a nice small utility trailer that I could haul engines, wheels, tires and even camping gear and BBQ stuff.

FieroChick and I went on Vacation to Oregon and stopped off at my Dad's favorite tool place. Harbor Freight. They had the perfect trailer. Highway rated, 1250lbs capacity, regular price on it was only $229, and it was on sale for $179, then my Dad has a coupon. (yes a tool coupon) For an extra 10% off. So total cost was only 160 bucks. There is not even sales tax in Oregon. WooHoo. It came as a kit that we had to put together, which was no real problem as my father is a tool nut and had everything we needed to put it together in a few hours.

Well here is the assembled product on the back of my 88GT. We drove it from Aurora Oregon (25 miles south of Portland) all the way to Surrey British Columbia Canada, just for testing purposes, I got my foot into it a bit and ran 80mph with it and it is stable as a rock. I barley even knew it was back there. Sitting at 70mph it just cruised along. We had bought a fair bit of stuff while we were in Oregon, and it was so nice to be able to just stack out luggage on the trailer, strap it down and go. Lisa really liked the fact she was not cramped with stuff normal stuffed in the passenger compartment because we always end up buying more stuff that will fit in the trunk on long trips.

If people want I can post pics of the hitch install that I had done earlier before we made the trip. The trailer wiring was not that hard at all, I popped the lights out, used T-Taps into the lights and then fed the wiring down through the bumper skin and out the holes just above the lisc plate light. Then tucked the connector behind the lisc plate when not in use.

Well here are the pics of it hooked to the car.

The only bad thing about the whole situation is that we got screwed at Canada Customs. They are charging me an import fee of $200. Its still much cheaper than buying locally though.

Please excuse the REALLY dirty car. I have not had time to clean it up since our drive. 2000 miles of cruising the Oregon coast down Hwy 101 and around Portland got the car really dirty.

------------------
85GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Factory Stock.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogt17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt17Send a Private Message to fierogt17Direct Link to This Post
sorry to say this, but that trailer is crap.
MDFierolvr

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MDFierolvrSend a Private Message to MDFierolvrDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt17:

sorry to say this, but that trailer is crap.

I wouldn't go as far as to say crap. but it needs a cover or something. I would be worried about losing whatever you put on it if you went over 20mph
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Obviously it will need sides on it and such, however we loaded it with lugguage, put a tarp over the luggage and ran about 15 bunjie cords over it. Then rop around the outside of the boards to make sure nothing moved.

We drove over 350 miles at 70+ mph and nothing fell off the trailer, moved or otherwise. It was very stable and I am happy with it.

Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post
Congrat Capt Fiero on your trailer ..We always got to start somewhere ..and you did just that whit yours And that is something to be proud of ..Its a fine one buy me ....Rob
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
a guy at work just got one from there. looks almost like that, but it's a little longer and i think he said it cost him about $200. what i liked about it is that he can fold it in half, set it up vertically and roll it around on little casters built on it so it can sit along the wall of a garage or the edge of a driveway or something. i think if i try and get one that might be what i look for.
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
i would ditch the wooden siderails and go with steel when you get the chance dave...but other then that i would say it should do what you want rather well...cool trailer....tim
edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post
I've been keeping my eye on that trailer at HF, myself, for all the reasons you mention.

Getting it on sale plus 10% off FTW

Ed
jscott1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
That's pretty cool. A Fiero trailer can come in pretty handy when you go to a show and want to drive the Fiero.

Do you need to license that where you live? I hate trailer tags, because I have to pay the maximum amount as if I were hauling a full load every day of the week. When in reality my trailer hardly ever gets used.

Philero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhileroSend a Private Message to PhileroDirect Link to This Post
Ahh, Harbor Freight (or as I like to call it, Satan's Den!). I spend WAY too much time and money in that place! Nice addition, and great catch. If you ever make it down to S. Oregon, lemme know and I will weld on some nice steel tube framing for you if you wish (just give me a heads up so I can make sure to have the steel on hand).

------------------
Phil
Always trying to create something new!
Philero ~ Phil and his Fiero, melding into one (soon to be my license plate too!)

dcfox

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post
I've been considering that same trailer.
If I get one...I have a couple mods planned for it already.
I want to swap the tires/wheels for a set of 10" golf cart aluminum wheels with 205/50-10 tires.
I also want to get a rooftop cargo box to bolt onto it(could be removed if you plan on using the trailer to haul parts instead of as a luggage compartment) and a cooler to mount in front of the box.

------------------
--David

Golden Triangle Fiero Club

PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
@Newbfiero: Yep it is a starter trailer, and I may get a larger one if the need arises, however for now, this is plenty big enough to haul the stuff I need. Engines and Such, or Luggage for long trips.

@Philphine, I actually looked at the "folding trailer" and was almost tempted to pick it up instead, however this one is basically the same frame, just minus the extra fold out ends. I have already thought about bolting on some hinges and making a removable steel extension for the back if the need ever arose. The axle is pretty far back on it, so I am sure I could extend the back of the deck another 2ft and still keep it stable. I would just make sure to load the heaviest part of the load to the front of the deck.

@thismanyfieros I plan to remove the wooden deck and go with a nice steel mesh, and maybe find some thin wall channel and replace the wooden slats. Or keep the wooden slats and put on thin sheet metal for sides. Am just a bit worried about maintenance for sheet metal sides. Would have to paint everything really well to keep it from rusting in the wonderful BC Rainy weather. Just for fun I grabbed some Fiero body panels and draped them on the trailer. However it looked way to funny.

@edhering, yes I was really happy to get it at that price and I can say, it was well worth it. Its going to be really nice going to Fiero meets and cruises and not having to ask someone with a Pickup to haul the larger items. Like the BBQ's and or camping gear. I think the sale was on for 2 weeks, so it might still be on sale.

@jscott1 We unfortunately do have to have trailer plates and trailer insurance. However from what I understand it is really cheap, I think $46 per year for a small trailer like this one. I was really surprised that the customs officer let me drive it away without anything on it. I am sure once my boss gets wind of me having a trailer he is going to start sending me to pick up stuff for him. LOL. I think I will make him pay for the cost of the yearly trailer plates as well any related expenses. So I should come out ahead on the deal. I just have to look into the legalities of using my car and utility trailer for "business related" purposes.

@Philero, My father is a HF addict. He can't resist stopping in there every time he drives by and even will make a special trip out there on weekends just to browse around and see whats new. He is kinda annoyed that they are dropping the HF Credit card. He was so proud of that card. As for doing a steel frame. I am thinking about that, however I would want it removable and hinged on all 4 corners so that I could tuck it away when not needed. I kinda already have an idea how I would do it. I use to work for a local steel supplier and have a few friends with steel fabrication experience. So it should not be a problem getting it done up here. However thanks for the offer. FieroChick and I don't make it to that area very often. I think the closest we came was last year when we drove from BC, down through Portland, then to LA, and cut over to Vegas then came back up through Utah, and over to Tri Cities in Washington for a brief stay at the Fiero Fest. If we end up in your area again, I will try to drop by and say Hi.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by dcfox:

I've been considering that same trailer.
If I get one...I have a couple mods planned for it already.
I want to swap the tires/wheels for a set of 10" golf cart aluminum wheels with 205/50-10 tires.
I also want to get a rooftop cargo box to bolt onto it(could be removed if you plan on using the trailer to haul parts instead of as a luggage compartment) and a cooler to mount in front of the box.

They had 2 versions of this trailer, one with the 8" wheels and this one that I bought with the 12" wheels. I wanted the 12" wheels as they were rated for a faster speed. Being as this trailer will see 90% freeway use, I really wanted the bigger wheels. I have already started looking at ways to put 13,14 or even 15" wheels on it. However with the center hub being so large I am not sure if I will be able to find a standard auto wheel that will fit. We actually had a roof top cargo box on the trailer just to see how it would look. It was another thing my dad had lying around, it was a Fiberglass Clamshell cargo box. I think I have a pic of us test fitting it. It was in pretty rough shape so we decided to skip it. As for mounting a cooler on the front of the trailer, I never really thought about that, but that is a really good idea. Could put one of those big 10 Gallon coolers on the front and load it full of Ice and Munchies. Hmm. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
Can it go 200 mph?
thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
for your base floor i would consider going with a nice aluminum checker plate...that way it wont rust and with he checker plate you get some grip too...cuts down on things sliding on shifting...while it maybe pricey in the long run it will save you maitenance thus saving you money...for a steel frame i would go with your channel idea for side rails...if you wanted to turn it into a double decker (make a second level) again i would go checker plate and just have it so the second level is just hitch pinned on top....this way you can put it on and take it off in mins...but the second level idea will change your siderails from channel to a box stock...this way you can drill your siderails for holes in order to quick connect on your second level..just pop your hitch pins through the box stock and done...simple easy and versatile..once all your side panels are cut and drilled if you really wanted to get fussy you could have it all galvenized....which isnt that pricey at all...hope that helps....tim
thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post

thismanyfieros

3468 posts
Member since Dec 2002
oh yeah if you do get a fiberglass unit you can prebolt that to your second level and voila done...tim
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Capt. Fiero, it's been a year, and I'm wondering if you are still happy with your trailer. Do you still know their Item Number for that model?

Here's a link, if it helps.

I am considering getting one, as I already have a cartop cargo box to put on it. Would need a Fiero Store hitch, too, of course.

------------------
Follow me for GAS
------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

This is the one that I have,

I grabbed this one as it had the larger 12" vs 8" wheels, higher speed rating and a consecrative 1090lb rating. I have had 1500lbs on it and no problems.

I did put a larger deck on it, extending it out to 6ft rather than 4ft and I put a small cargo box on the front to hold all my straps, tie downs, tarp, torque wrench and an emergency tool kit.

Here are pics and excerpt from my haul from Oregon back to Canada thread,

Video of Trailer is here,

http://captfiero.com/videos...o/Traileratspeed.wmv

First layer on the trailer, we filled the tool box with all the tools and gear we bought. I actually took it to the scales to check the weight. More on that later.

We loaded the larger heavy items as far forward as possible to keep the tongue weight as much as possible

Lisa picked this up at GI Joes, its a large canvas bag meant to be strapped to the roof of a car, it was the perfect size to hold all our luggage and then strap it to the trailer. This proved to be really handy.

We started packing things around the tool box first.

Well that was almost it, I started strapping everything down, then Lisa comes out with 3 more bags of stuff we bought, and they are too big to fit in the trunk.

So they got tucked on top of the load box and then tarped and strapped. We bought this spiderweb cargo net that worked awesome. It goes over tarps and luggage and keeps the tarps from flapping in the wind at speed.

We bumped into Dave Mcgauge (spelling) from Jet City's at this stop in Washington.

I double checked all the straps and chains and lights and nothing had moved even an inch. I was very happy.

Suspension barley even looks loaded.

Canadian Inspection form and ratings

USA Ratings.

Note the tire pressure for full load. 60psi. Well most loads I put on the trailer are light, body panels, set of wheels and tires, light luggage. So I had the pressure down to 30psi so the trailer did not bounce all over hell. Well I never even gave it a 2nd thought, until I got on the road home. We drove about 120 miles with the trailer yanking the car all around, ruts would have the trailer swaying back and forth, really hard to maintain speed. That was until we stopped for breakfast at a drive through, and I grabbed the tire pressure gauge and checked the tires. They are rated for 60psi COLD when loaded. They were at 30psi and fairly warm for a tire. I ran over to a gas station, payed the 25 cents to use an air line, pumped them both up to 60psi warm, put both the rear car tires up to 38psi warm, and hit the highway again.

Man what a difference. I knew before I even made it down the freeway on-ramp FRACK ME, DUMB $HIT, Bone Head. Granted this is only my first year using a trailer, but still, not to do something as simple as check the tire pressure in the trailer tires before making a long trip. I had checked almost everything else. Oil, Water Trans fluid, lights, Just never checked the trailer tires.

I hit the highway and it was smooth as silk. I made a few higher speed runs just to check stability and it was rock solid. We were sitting at 70-80mph with a few spots we were up to 85mph. (120kph-140kph) Our first fuel stop took 6 gallons for 120 miles, the second tool 5.2 gallons for 150 miles. I was really happy with the improvement.

The box got kinda squished for the vice, but as I said earlier, we loaded the front of the trailer with as much to the front as possible to keep the tongue weight as high as possible.

Bench Top Drill Press.

Double chains with 4 enclosed hooks.

Ok weight check time. This are in KG as we were back in Canada when I finally found a truck scales that was closed that I could use.
Weights are trip weight with Lisa and I in the car and 1/2 tank of gas.

Front axle, 1386 lbs

Front and Rear Axle 3520lbs

Rear Axle 2134lbs

Rear Axle plus Trailer Axle 2772lbs

Trailer axle 638lbs (note car is still holding the tongue so this is only the weight the trailer axle is holding.

So total weight of car, Lisa and I, plus trailer and cargo is 1890 kgs (4158 lbs).

The rear compartment was loaded with other breakable stuff we bought that we did not want to load into the canvas bag, and Lisa didn't want me putting in the tool box. We had the car packed extremely tight even with the trailer. However for the first time in the history of our Fiero Road Trips, we did not have to stack things in the passenger compartment. Which made it a much more comfortable drive. We left Aurora at 10:30am and had made a couple stops to do some shopping on the way up, wasting about 2hrs, and still made it through customs and back at home by 6pm. The customs office was a breeze, I was sure they were going to haul me in and expect the cargo and open everything up. However we pulled up, showed them our passports, handed them the receipts totalling around $600 for the stuff we bought, the "Gift Letter" from my dad for the tool box and tools he gave me. They asked if we had any guns, tobacco, alcohol or fruits, we only had 3 bottles of wine and a few packs of cigarettes. They handed me the receipts and passports back and said have a nice day, they didn't even so much as open the trunk on the car. I was totally surprised and happy.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Nice trailer.

I couldn't help but think that my trailer would actually go nicely with your car.

Couldn't resist. Of course my Fiero doesn't have a hitch and yours does

Arn

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2009 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
LOL, yep colour is close.

One note though, I had a box with sides and everything for my trailer. It lasted about 3 trips, before I removed it. The sides add so much extra wind resistance, that it felt like the trailer 3x the weight. I actually prefer it as a flat deck. I can also put things on the deck that are larger than the deck size leaving it hanging out on all sides and its fine. The empty trailer weights less than 200lbs. My fat butt weighs more than the trailer is. The only draw back to the trailer being as small as it is, on the open highway you can't see it it, AT ALL. Can't see it in the mirrors, I have to roll down the windows and listen for it bump and the chain to rattle. Its really kinda funny / scary when I can't hear it behind me, and I can't see it.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Today, I was passing by a U-Haul business and notice a unique mouse like trailer. With a little tweaking it could look like a fastback. It had 15" 5-lug rims. I couldn't find the maker of the trailer and U-haul didn't know either.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-06-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Today, I was passing by a U-Haul business and notice a unique mouse like trailer. With a little tweaking it could look like a fastback. It had 15" 5-lug rims. I couldn't find the maker of the trailer and U-haul didn't know either.

Sadly, those are a one-off for UHaul, and they refuse to sell them to ANYONE..
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

That's a crying shame. What are they... freaking Ferrari or something!!! It's a cute little thing and it matches the Fiero.

The freaking tail lamps look better than some of the after market stuff here LOL!

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-06-2009).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

That's a crying shame. What are they... freaking Ferrari or something!!! It's a cute little thing and it matches the Fiero.

The freaking tail lamps look better than some of the after market stuff here LOL!

If I had the funds and the skills, I'd be making the shell out of Fiberglass just to get one made.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

I was searching and many people have found that out

some sites I found...
http://www.mikenchell.com/f...af606b09a7a06725ccd0
http://www.letsgoaero.com/Products.asp?Pcat=3
http://www.geocities.com/ttlic_2000/mbody.html
http://www.performancedesig...ans/uhaulwkndr1.html
http://www.kimberleykampers.com/
http://Retriever-NA.com/

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Suspension barley even looks loaded.

Flip the axle over the springs, raise the wheel fenders, lower the tongue. Lowers the center of gravity and make loading and unloading easier!
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2009 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post

Any chance you can go back and look for the manufacturing label?

It should be on the tongue somewhere.

Steve

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

Some helpful links I've done
How to remove inner door panels, with pics.
How to remove outer door panels, with pics.
How to make rear coil-overs using factory struts, with pics.
How to remove rear bearing hubs, with pics.
How to modify the stock Fiero radio for MP3 players, with pics.
How to come up with the right coolant hoses for that engine swap...With Pics.
Basic Fiero electrical testing "How To" and equipment...with pics.

Philero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2009 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhileroSend a Private Message to PhileroDirect Link to This Post

I WANT THAT TRAILER!!!!! It would look great stripped of the UHaul decals and towed behind my white '88 SE!
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2009 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Damn you are right, hell that back end would look good grafted to the back of a Fiero. Oh Gawd, did I just say a U-Haul Trailer back end looks better than the back of the car we all love, I should get slapped and maybe hit a 2nd time, cause I actually do believe it.

However yep that does look like an awesome luggage trailer. Would look a ton better than mine, however would not be able to handle 1/2 of the stuff I haul around on my trailer, even the load I came back to Canada with would never have fit inside the trailer. It was stacked about a foot taller than the Fiero's roof line.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2009 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Flip the axle over the springs, raise the wheel fenders, lower the tongue. Lowers the centre of gravity and make loading and unloading easier!

The lower side of the spring has a larger centring pin molded into it. I'd have to cut or grind the pin, OR drill a large 3/4" hole in the metal plate in order for it to fit on the spring. Is it really safe to simply move the axle onto the top of the spring? If it is, I might go ahead and do it this weekend. I am going to have to haul a spare Fiero cradle with engine and trans and suspension over to my storage locker and would make loading a ton easier sitting even that few inches lower.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2009 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
More picks;

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-07-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2009 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by fierohoho:

Any chance you can go back and look for the manufacturing label?

It should be on the tongue somewhere.

Steve

I'll try next week, but I did look inside the belly and couldn't find the name.
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2009 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

More picks;

While driving over to San Antonio for the Round Up, we passed a Jeep pulling one of these. My wife said "Paint it red and put a wing on it and it would look real nice behind the Formula". Then she said "You could mold in some notchie tail lights too". Although I was impressed that she was thinking like a Fiero owner, I knew that she had other motives. You see when we travel in the Fiero, it does not leave much room for shopping....... I would have one if I could get it.

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 05-07-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2009 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

While driving over to San Antonio for the Round Up, we passed a Jeep pulling one of these. My wife said "Paint it red and put a wing on it and it would look real nice behind the Formula". Then she said "You could mold in some notchie tail lights too". Although I was impressed that she was thinking like a Fiero owner, I knew that she had other motives. You see when we travel in the Fiero, it does not leave much room for shopping....... I would have one if I could get it.

Hehe. Yeah, a women can pack a lot of dresses in that trailer.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2009 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

The lower side of the spring has a larger centring pin molded into it. I'd have to cut or grind the pin, OR drill a large 3/4" hole in the metal plate in order for it to fit on the spring. Is it really safe to simply move the axle onto the top of the spring? If it is, I might go ahead and do it this weekend. I am going to have to haul a spare Fiero cradle with engine and trans and suspension over to my storage locker and would make loading a ton easier sitting even that few inches lower.

The weakest link would be the u-bolts holding it together. Get one that is rated double your expected max weight and there shouldn't be any problems.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2009 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Is it really safe to simply move the axle onto the top of the spring?

When I had my Scout II 4x4, it was made with the springs below the axle. To raise it for ground clearance and big tires, some of those guys would move the springs above the axle. If that works on a Scout, I don't see why the opposite wouldn't work on a utility trailer of the size we're talking about.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2009 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Curly,
RENT IT !!!
Then have some molds made!! P-P-P-P-Please!!!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2009 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

Curly,
RENT IT !!!
Then have some molds made!! P-P-P-P-Please!!!

Believe me, right after she told me I couldn't buy it--- the “kit-Kar” mentality kicked into my head. Most likely there's some type of copyright protection with swarms of lawyers guarding it and ready to pounce!

Who knows, maybe a crashed one might show up at a wrecking yard. I’ll go by this week to check for the manufacture’s name. Maybe, they could sneak out one for sell.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2009 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Hey it was worth a try
I wonder how much damage it would need to have them "get rid of it"
maybe pop a hole in the side( we can glass it over later)
take a tire off and drag it a bit slowly to scrach it up real good( we can sand and repair later)
Or maybe do a "nitro circus" thing and have a buddy closed up in it and pull it down a hill with a lawn mower and let it go!! ( more or less jokeing)

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2009 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
I'll try on Wednesday and get name (if I can find it).

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock