Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any way to put a stock wheel where the spare is?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any way to put a stock wheel where the spare is? by Dennis LaGrua
Started on: 05-02-2021 12:37 PM
Replies: 18 (540 views)
Last post by: Steel on 05-25-2021 03:43 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2021 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that much 0f this was covered in another thread. So the procedure after changing a flat tire is to put it in the trunk to cart it. That will obviously work but when you are on vacation with your spouse or friend the trunk is usually full of luggage and the tool bag is in the front. Short of using bungees and a blanket to fasten the flat to the deck lid is there a better way to transport your flat tire?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-02-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2021 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well you would suddenly have space in the frunk to transfer things from the trunk into the frunk to then have space for your tire in the trunk.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 05-02-2021).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2021 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is what I would try to do.....Move stuff around to create room- I don't think the smallest stock tire/wheel would fit in the space for the spare. That is actually a problem with "Space-saver" spares- especially on a small car like ours with (Already) Limited trunk space.

I always have a bath towel (Gray) to protect the seat- originally because I worked on aircraft and could be quite dirty at the end of the day, but now mainly if I carry my dog....But a couple of bungees and a towel would allow you to carry the removed tire/wheel on top of the deck lid. In an emergency......
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2021 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Flat tire sits on the passenger seat. Friend or spouse can walk.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2021 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Flat tire sits on the passenger seat. Friend or spouse can walk.

We've been married for 17 years and my wife still likes me; well most of the time. I think I'll keep her. Letting her walk along the highway may not produce a positive result. Getting back to more serious matters it may be possible to transfer some baggage to the front spare space or if the small luggage that we carry do not fit there, we may be able to bungee those to the deck lid. Now it becomes apparent why GM sold soft luggage. In the worse case we have AAA 100 mile towing but you can have a long wait before assistance shows up.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2021 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plan "B"

MICHELIN® - PILOT SPORT A/S 3 PLUS ZP (RUN FLAT)

https://www.carid .com/miche...16bf381b60e538c813c5

Spoon
------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 05-05-2021).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2021 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

Plan "B"

MICHELIN® - PILOT SPORT A/S 3 PLUS ZP (RUN FLAT)

https://www.carid .com/miche...16bf381b60e538c813c5

Spoon

Nice try but it doesn't come in 205-60-15 or 215-60-15
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:
Plan "B"

MICHELIN® - PILOT SPORT A/S 3 PLUS ZP (RUN FLAT)...
Many say use "Run Flat" tires.... sounds nice on paper but have issues...

1. Require Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) because you can't tell running low pressure or flat.
Others w/ normal tires have TPMS as a option. Don't think USDOT/NHSTA requires them or updated FMVSS for future cars.
You can install this on any "old" vehicle but added cost on top of premium price of tires.

Note: TPMS on new vehicles often isn't = sensors in the wheels. They use Tone Rings for ABS to watch tire speeds for low/flat tires. Low tire changes tire radius and tire spins a little slower or faster and Tone Rings will "read" this data even w/o you using the brakes.

2. Point 1. is because "Run Flat" tires have Speed and Distance Limits running flat. If you fail to follow those limits, they can fail same way as "normal" tires do.
I don't think BMW etc w/ them from the factory does anything but trip the dash warning light to make you slow down.

3. Every flat I have in 10+ years is family hitting big things like curbs and Destroying a tire. Run Flat won't help here and very expensive to replace. If you have TPMS wheel mount sensors then very likely have to replace a sensor at same time because rolling a flat tire just a few yards often crushes them if the impact doesn't wreck them.

ETA--> Plus "Run Flat" tires have most to all repair rules that others have in https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/099748.html
When tire fails the repair rules, you have to junk a expense tire and your tire is often not in stock at many shops.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-07-2021).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32234 posts
Member since Mar 99

Any way to put a stock wheel where the spare is?
No.

195/70-14 hits both Brake MC and jack bracket before even 50% in the tire well.
Even if you remove the jack bracket letting washer fluid tank hanging on 1 bolt you just hit other things 1 or 2 inches away and still hitting MC.

185/80-13 wheel used for some 84 & 85 won't fit because very close to same diameter and anything larger just hits things sooner and easier to wreck them.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-22-2021).]

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2021 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I believe that much 0f this was covered in another thread. So the procedure after changing a flat tire is to put it in the trunk to cart it. That will obviously work but when you are on vacation with your spouse or friend the trunk is usually full of luggage and the tool bag is in the front. Short of using bungees and a blanket to fasten the flat to the deck lid is there a better way to transport your flat tire?

I have actually considered this and went so far as to take measurements and design a new front trunk space to make it work. The answer is "Yes....BUT"

You need to redesign the fiberglass frunk pan, cut the forward bulkhead and move it forward, redirect airflow for the radiator with hood vents and ducting, use a smaller over flow tank, use a smaller washer reservoir (and move it), relocate the tire jack, put in a smaller brake booster (and move it), and modify your AC plumbing and move the accumulator. That's all

If you get hit in the front end, one of two things will happen, you will either be spared a grizzly death by the extra cushion, or you will have the tire ejected from the frunk, trough your windscreen, and Senna-tize yourself. I'm still thinking of trying it for a future project.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2021 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
will repost later

[This message has been edited by Steel (edited 05-23-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2021 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:
I have actually considered this and went so far as to take measurements and design a new front trunk space to make it work. The answer is "Yes....BUT"

You need to redesign the fiberglass frunk pan, cut the forward bulkhead and move it forward, redirect airflow for the radiator with hood vents and ducting, use a smaller over flow tank, use a smaller washer reservoir (and move it), relocate the tire jack, put in a smaller brake booster (and move it), and modify your AC plumbing and move the accumulator. That's all

If you get hit in the front end, one of two things will happen, you will either be spared a grizzly death by the extra cushion, or you will have the tire ejected from the frunk, trough your windscreen, and Senna-tize yourself. I'm still thinking of trying it for a future project.
You will have to re-plumb the brake line to front right wheel at minimum too...
ron768

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2021 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My fix for this is to throw away the space saver spare and carry a plug kit and a air compressor or a couple cans of fix-a-flat. Back up is AAA.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2021 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ron768:
My fix for this is to throw away the space saver spare and carry a plug kit and a air compressor or a couple cans of fix-a-flat. Back up is AAA.
Already covered that here... Omitting the spare and carrying tire inflator? https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/099748.html
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2021 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blanket and bungees is really not a bad idea honestly. Its not like you are going to drive forever with it like that. Just need to make sure its a soft blanket so it doesn't scratch the paint.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2021 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm bored so did some measuring today...
195/70-14 is ~ 24⅝" diam, 7" wide
125/70D15 is ~ 21½" diam, 5⅛ wide for just the tire. Rim and tire is 5¾" wide because of weird center section.
Two together...

Not only won't fit as said above... (And that hit's the jack bracket, forget trying w/ jack mounted before or after. Either Not Happening.)
The width will stop you a bit farther down in the bay.
That's w/ or w/o AC because of frame just below AC parts.
Even if can put a normal tire in, can't shut the hood.

I Assumed Toddster "mod" above is a joke...
Because Damn near impossible to mod the front to take a full size tire.
Not only the above would need changing or removal,
Rad and it's fan, Steering Rack and Lower Column likely have problems too.

Sadly the Real Trunk have problems w/ bigger tires too. Even some OE tires...
Measure, Trunk allows ~ 24-25 high and 7½" total wide.
Barely fits 195/70-14, Maybe 205/60-15. (205 Tread is ~ 7" but sidewalls 8+".)
Does anyone ever put bigger OEM GT Rear, 215/60-15, there?
Maybe either/both:
. 8" to 9" total width but only flat so can squeeze the sidewalls.
. 25" or bit more but only flat so can squeeze the height.

If you have the power trunk options... the solenoid take up some space and maybe problems w/ maximum size flat tires.

I bet most w/ wider and/or taller tires never tried that until after a flat and can't get in there or can't close the trunk lid.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-24-2021).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2021 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fine fine fine. Because we are out here in the weeds. Lets just go ahead and get a trailer hitch for your Fiero an get one of these to tuck up with the spare tire... or heck if you want just get a full size spare and leave it on the hitch all the time.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2021 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All you need to is change all your body panels into a zimmer kit car so you can have spare wheel on outside of car.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2021 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

Fine fine fine. Because we are out here in the weeds. Lets just go ahead and get a trailer hitch for your Fiero an get one of these to tuck up with the spare tire... or heck if you want just get a full size spare and leave it on the hitch all the time.

This is similar to what I was meaning to post earlier in this thread, just the part that installs into the hitch was slightly longer I believe. Snapperhead use to produce a hidden hitch for behind the license plate. I saw one of these at a show the guy had the tire carrier piece mounted in the front compartment. If you have a flat you can install it in the hidden hitch spot and mount your wheel to it so you can get to a tire shop.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock