Firebird Cluster Build by rbell2915
Started on: 03-19-2020 05:59 PM
Replies: 54 (1903 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 02-23-2021 11:35 AM
anaverin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anaverinSend a Private Message to anaverinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think your doing a great job. i put a saturn ion redline cluster in my fiero and had some of the same issues, but i solved them by tilting the entire pod up 10-15 degrees which helped alot but wasn't to noticable to the eye. i can't seem to find a picture completed so i will have to go take one, but here is one early in development.
IP: Logged
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2020 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by anaverin:

I think your doing a great job. i put a saturn ion redline cluster in my fiero and had some of the same issues, but i solved them by tilting the entire pod up 10-15 degrees which helped alot but wasn't to noticable to the eye. i can't seem to find a picture completed so i will have to go take one, but here is one early in development.

If you could get a photo of how you tilted the cluster upwards and the finished product that would be great. Thank you.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2020 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

Finally figured out my short. Somehow my wiring harness was contacting a metal piece. I added more tape to the C2 and C3 connectors and that seems to have solved the problem.

Here is a quick demo of the finished product.

Looks great!
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2020 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Looks great!

Thank you! Needs some polishing up (eventually) but I'm happy with how it turned out.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2021 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Regal GS is currently down for a timing chain and water pump replacement and the Fiero is the daily driver right now and I decided that I am not happy with the way my gauge cluster currently is. When I'm done repairing the Regal I'm planning on having another try at the gauge cluster. Here it is from my point of view.

The top of the cluster isn't visible and the vinyl is starting to sag. I remembered a post from a thread several years ago...

Originally posted by Sofa King Here:

MASSIVE MAJOR HUGE AWESOME UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As of this moment the radio stack design has changed! Why? Well... A few changes are about to take place. I mentioned that I received a package in the mail... Check it out!

The Package - if you notice... the delivery man left the package in the friggin rain. UGH... Luckily there was enough packing material to protect the contents. What contents?

Unloading all the goodies... what could it be?

Wait? HUH?

This dash cluster won't fit in a Fiero! Or will it?

BINGO

Backside

Up close

Side View

I am really PUMPED about this project and can't wait to get started on creating the new center stack.

I'm hoping I can drop the cluster off with Jeremy at the Fiero Factory. He likes to tinker with electronics so this is going to be a MASSIVE challenge for him - I hope he's up for the task. If there is anybody in the Huntsville, AL area who is electronics whiz... drop me a line! I know it's not an exact replica of the concept cluster but I think it's cool either way. 89 Concept Dash... Here I come! LOL

STAY TUNED!!!!!

Sadly this never went anywhere.

I am going to attempt to replicate this. One thing I know for certain is that the rear cover on this custom housing is not deep enough for the Firebird gauge cluster as the plug is in the back and will hit it (you can see on the first page).

My fiberglassing skills are extremely limited so I am not sure how exactly I am going to go about this. I'm going to watch some videos on YouTube to get some ideas. Maybe I can create the housing out of foam, cover it with felt, then fiberglass over it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
IMDMAN

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2021 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMDMANSend a Private Message to IMDMANEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have done lot of projects with fiber glass. My prefered method is to use spray foam in the can. build up a block on whatever it is your working on and cut and sand down the foam to get shape you want them glass over the top. if you need you can dig out the foam when done. I always look at it like an art project. just be patient
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2021 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMDMAN:

i have done lot of projects with fiber glass. My prefered method is to use spray foam in the can. build up a block on whatever it is your working on and cut and sand down the foam to get shape you want them glass over the top. if you need you can dig out the foam when done. I always look at it like an art project. just be patient

I think I'll be sculpting it from XPS foam. I've seen a lot of people make some very complicated creations from it and it seems to be quite strong. It appears that I can seal it with some sort of paint or spray to give it added strength.

Things I'll need:

I am going to need another gauge cluster housing to cut up and modify for the new housing.

I'll also need another speedometer assembly (from a V6 I believe) in order to delete the third gen F-body buffer. It's very large and space is at a premium.

Lastly, I need to figure out how to build an HEI filter so my tach will finally read properly.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been doing some digging around PFF and I am thinking about trying to install a HUD display as well. There is a massive junkyard about an hour away from me and I'm sure they'll have everything I need to start tackling this. Last time I was there they had four or five Fieros. I don't think they ever crush their inventory. Hopefully my daily driver will be fixed this weekend and next weekend I'll take a trip to the yard.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know there's been some issues regarding a double image on the HUDs due to the way the windshield is made. I think I've come up with a way to minimize that issue. It seems to me that most people using a HUD have it mounted aiming straight up.

If I can mount the HUD inside the rear gauge cover and aim it perpendicular to the windshield that should drastically reduce the ghosting problem.

msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Watching this closely as I have an Amida G1 dash waiting to go in and curious to see if the firebird gauges would fit...

What model and year Firebird is this from?
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msweldon:

Watching this closely as I have an Amida G1 dash waiting to go in and curious to see if the firebird gauges would fit...

What model and year Firebird is this from?

It's from a V6 Firebird. I think it came out of a 1995. Basically anything earlier than 1998 is good to go, I think.
PFF
System Bot
Oregon88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this is amazing!

Nice work!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job but if you kept the Firebird Half Moon shaped housing, you would have ended up with the more modern prototype 1990 Fiero gauge cluster look.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Nice job but if you kept the Firebird Half Moon shaped housing, you would have ended up with the more modern prototype 1990 Fiero gauge cluster look.

I have it. It's massive. There is just no way for it to work. So I'm going to have to try and create my own.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:

I have it. It's massive. There is just no way for it to work. So I'm going to have to try and create my own.

Scrolled too fast. Yes I backed up in the thread and saw that. You say that the console is massive. I'm just wondering how GM got the Firebird gauge console to fit the1990 Fiero prototype? The 1990 prototype was longer but it may have been wider as the design concept was used on the 4th Generation Firebird. Keep up the good work. I like it.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock