Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  New PFF features - I've been busy! (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
New PFF features - I've been busy! by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 12-01-2019 03:03 AM
Replies: 139 (3298 views)
Last post by: PatrickTRoof on 01-20-2020 09:56 AM
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2019 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Works pretty good. Nice and simple.

IP: Logged
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2019 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
test

sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post12-05-2019 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what it looks like to me, of course rotated. Showing the banner covering the topics.
The phone is held properly and took a shot with a pocket camera holding the camera rotated to orient it for full page view shot. Upon uploading to my computer I rotated it to display correctly but on Pennock's the image is rotated like the camera was and no rotating the file on my computer before uploading it will change the orientation of the image.

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 12-05-2019).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2019 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I've noticed a delay in the edit button, it seems to appear a few minutes after posting...

I'm glad that someone other than me has noticed a new oddity with the EDIT button.

After logging in, I was actually trying to edit something that I had posted a couple days earlier... and I was rather surprised to discover that the EDIT button didn't exist. It wasn't until I then made This post that the EDIT button for any of my posts finally appeared.

Maybe it makes a difference now (due to recent changes) where and/or how we log in, as there are various ways to do it.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2019 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

That's odd. Does the donation window at the top opens every time? It should stay away at least a month after you've closed it.

No, I think it has been a month since I've visited. It didn't open today.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2019 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll look into the Edit button issue.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2019 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11617 posts
Member since Jan 99
The issue with the edit button should be solved now.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2019 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The issue with the edit button should be solved now.

Thank-you!
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2019 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is terrific news! Thank you so much for your enduring dedication to this site. I will continue donating when I can.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2019 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, I ran into a couple of situations....One is the positioning of the pics when you put the post up; I have solved that by locating the cursor before I load the pics, or if it is out of place after posting I can just grab them (In edit) and move them.

The other situation is just a bit frustrating; When I am posting for the first time and try t o load pics, it comes back with "You must be logged on to post pics; Solved it by posting, then "Edit" and loading the pics.

It is still much better than having to ask someone to post my pics.......(Here is a pic of the type of computer I fixed at Atari back in 1982 (But I can't program to save my life!)

FieroJonney

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2019 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJonneySend a Private Message to FieroJonneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! Great job Cliff! Thanks.
Test from iPad 4.
Edit - not sure why it's upside down

[This message has been edited by FieroJonney (edited 12-07-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2019 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Cliff, I ran into a couple of situations....One is the positioning of the pics when you put the post up; I have solved that by locating the cursor before I load the pics, or if it is out of place after posting I can just grab them (In edit) and move them.

Yes, it inserts the picture at the cursor position.

The other situation is just a bit frustrating; When I am posting for the first time and try t o load pics, it comes back with "You must be logged on to post pics; Solved it by posting, then "Edit" and loading the pics.

Yes, you need to be logged in because all images are stored in you own private album. But once you have posted a message (or logged in through the main forum page) you should stay logged in for a year or so. If you are not logged in the next time you visit PFF, then there's something odd going on with your cookies (maybe you block them?).

It is still much better than having to ask someone to post my pics.......(Here is a pic of the type of computer I fixed at Atari back in 1982 (But I can't program to save my life!)

Those Ataris are probably the coolest computers I've *ever* programmed. In those days, I used to be a freelance programmer for Atari. I've owned an Atari 800 (lend it to someone one day and never saw it back), Atari 800XL (same story, never got it back) and I still own an Atari 512 ST.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2019 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11617 posts
Member since Jan 99

Originally posted by FieroJonney:

Awesome! Great job Cliff! Thanks.
Test from iPad 4.

Another upside down image. 😄

I'm not entirely sure why that happens, but I guess it's because the images are shown how they are stored in the file. Especially with mobile phones, you can take picture upside down but because the phone also stores camera orientation in the file, viewers can automatically rotate the image.
FieroJonney

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2019 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJonneySend a Private Message to FieroJonneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not entirely sure why that happens, but I guess it's because the images are shown how they are stored in the file. Especially with mobile phones, you can take picture upside down but because the phone also stores camera orientation in the file, viewers can automatically rotate the image.

This makes sense. I took the pic upside down and rotated it afterwards.

[This message has been edited by FieroJonney (edited 12-07-2019).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2019 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Believe me Cliff, I'm not asking for myself... but is there a way for you to add an image rotation feature for those that require it?

It's great that images can now be uploaded directly from phones, but I'm sure none of us wish to see a flood of upside down and sideways posted pictures at PFF.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-07-2019).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2019 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, PFF should now be able to detect device orientation and rotate the image for you.

Be aware it does this during upload. So any images already uploaded will not be rotated.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2019 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff- When I worked at Atari down in San Jose, there was a problem that started coming up (Let's call it the T1 Failure) So I happened to notice that every computer with that failure code had a Sansui main chip, while most of the others had Rockwell main chips...I went and grabbed a tube of Rockwell chips and would replace it on those with that code- after 2 weeks I hadn't seen one come back from oven testing, so I told the other troubleshooters.

Two months later, the head technician came down from his lab and came to me, asking if I was "The one who came up with the chip-fix for the T1 failure"
I stated "Yes- I was right, wasn't I?"
"Oh yes, there is a tolerance difference between the two chips- we are talking to Sansui about correcting it. What kind of testing did you do to figure this out?"
"I just noticed the difference in manufacturer..."
He had spent TWO months in his lab trying to figure out what was wrong with his O-scope and meters, etc......He wanted to pull his hair out when he realized I had fixed it in 2 weeks!

(I had just got out of the Navy; They haven't time to do a bunch of troubleshooting- find which major part is bad, swap it and get the plane back up quickly!)
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff, I've got a question for you. When I posted the following image (using PIP) back in October Here, it displayed full-size... 1024x1385. The file size is 251 kb.

Why is it now being shrunk way way down (both here and in the original thread)?

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
Why is it now being shrunk way way down (both here and in the original thread)?

They are not. They are still the same size only shrunk down on screen so people don't have to scroll that much (if at all) to view the image. Scrolling horizontally and/or vertically just to view a photo was one of the annoyances of a lot of people.

Right click the image and choose "View Image". You will see the image is still the same size as before. Perhaps I'll build in some kind of zoom feature so you can easily view the image in it's "original" size (images above a certain size will always be downsized physically).
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff... THANK YOU!

This will make everyone lives SO much easier to post a photo now.

A nice side benefit is there will no longer be the clutter of the hundreds and hundreds of posts saying "How do I upload a photo" "PIP Does not work", "How do I post an image from my phone", "Can someone post a picture for me if I email it to you"

Fantastic Job!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Scrolling horizontally and/or vertically just to view a photo was one of the annoyances of a lot of people.

Overly wide images completely destroy the formatting of all the posts in a thread, and I therefore agree 1000% that scrolling back and forth horizontally in order to read any of the posts in that thread is very annoying. However, scrolling down vertically to view a long image never seemed to be an issue IMO, especially since a long/high image has absolutely no effect on any other posts in the thread.

Right click the image and choose "View Image". You will see the image is still the same size as before.

Not sure what platform has that option, but it doesn't exist in Win7. However, if the image is downloaded (Right click, "Save image as..."), I can see that the file size and original dimensions (unless HUGE) have indeed now been retained. It would obviously be a heckuva nuisance though to be required to download any image taken/posted in portrait mode in order to view it at a decent size.

Honestly, I felt that the maximum image width for posting/viewing allowed by PIP (1024 pixels), with no height limit, was an excellent compromise!

Perhaps I'll build in some kind of zoom feature so you can easily view the image in it's "original" size (images above a certain size will always be downsized physically).

That would definitely be worth a shot.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-08-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Not sure what platform has that option, but it doesn't exist in Win7.

That's not platform dependent. It exists in your browser.

Firefox: Right click -> View Image
Chrome: Right click -> Open image in new tab
Internet Explorer: Not possible (no surprises there)
Edge: Right click => Share picture => (Insert listed photo viewer here)

You can also drag and drop the photo on another browser window or tab, or drag and drop it to your favorite photo viewer.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's not platform dependent. It exists in your browser.

Chrome: Right click -> Open image in new tab

...and then Left click on image in new tab to see full size.

I'd still prefer to view long images (with a maximum width of 1024 pixels) within the thread without all the extra steps required (especially for multiple images), but what you suggested does work. Thanks Cliff.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-08-2019).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2019 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, totally not Fiero related, but wanted to test posting a picture for the very first time directly from my phone!

EDIT:
Well that didn't work out so well. I just tried uploading a recent photo from my gallery on my phone.

I was able to take a screen capture of the ertor, and then crop it, so the image would be small enough to post this at least LOL
Most smartphones in the past two to three years take photos that are larger than what is allowed. I'm using a Galaxy S9 plus which is 3 years old now.

I'm guessing we're going to need an app on our phones that we can resize the images first, before trying to upload them here?

The way the Forum looks on my phone now is amazing! Nice large easy to press buttons and easy to read text. The ghost arrows on the right when you begin to scroll are also amazing for jumping to the top and the bottom of the page. Very very nice job!

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 12-09-2019).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2019 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I'm guessing we're going to need an app on our phones that we can resize the images first, before trying to upload them here?

Or I can just increase the size...

I'm still fine tuning. What size are your images? My phone takes super highres images, but they are usually under 3MB. Which is the reason I thought 5MB would be enough.
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-12-2019 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about posting pictures in private message??? There is no "Upload Imagine" or any button.

Do I still have to use the PIP method?
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2019 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

What about posting pictures in private message??? There is no "Upload Imagine" or any button.

Do I still have to use the PIP method?

Yes. Don't want to open up that can of worms. 😉
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2019 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes. Don't want to open up that can of worms. 😉

Dang! I was going to send private messages with a pic of my car- without external panels on it...(Naked).....Whoot-Whoot!

(Sorry....I'll go sit in the corner now......)
Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2019 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’m having trouble trying to use my Galaxy S8. It worked great the first several times I tried, which was right after Cliff announced the new features.

Today it’s a struggle to even log in, much less post photos. Holding my phone vertically, the keyboard won’t stay open when I try to enter my credentials. Turning the phone to landscape works, but then when I try to post a photo I get a message that I’m not logged in. After trying multiple times, I then got a message that my username isn’t registered with the site.

I cleared my browsing history, restarted my phone and even emptied my mind of negative thoughts, but it still won’t work, so I’m using my iPad now.
PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2019 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As above the disappearing keyboard when entering login details.

If you type the message ignoring login keyboard issue, the login box can then be filled without keyboard disappearance once the main message area has some text.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2019 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll look into it.
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2019 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11617 posts
Member since Jan 99
I've made a few changes. Is the problem solved now?
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2019 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW!! Go away for a few weeks and BAM!!

Thanks for the upgrades, Cliff.

Have a great holiday.

Bob

PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2019 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've made a few changes. Is the problem solved now?

Login keyboard disappearance still happening Cliff.

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2019 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice & thanks Cliff!

Will we see the Christmas decor & pixies soon? Wouldn't be Christmas without it!

Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2019 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Test.

[This message has been edited by Quadfather (edited 12-14-2019).]

Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2019 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quadfather

422 posts
Member since Sep 2019
As you can see from my previous post, it works. The keyboard no longer disappears when I try to log in.

When I tried to post an image, the first photo would not post in spite of several attempts. I finally selected a couple others and they worked.

When I tried to post this info in a separate comment, I didn't get the option to submit reply because the header was in the way. I’m posting this via my iPad.

[This message has been edited by Quadfather (edited 12-14-2019).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2019 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First of all, you are seeing the desktop version of PFF, not the mobile version... So the header you are seeing is in fact the page you are replying to.

What's causing the problem is that for some reason, your message area is much bigger than it is supposed to be, covering up all buttons. I will try to recreate the problem on my end (and hopefully fix it).

Do you perhaps have setup your phone so it displays input fields bigger than usual?
Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2019 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't realize I'd switched to the desktop version. I switched back and the disappearing keyboard issue returned.

I typed this on my phone, but couldn't post it because the input field is too big so I switched to my iPad. I tried shrinking my phone screen as far as it would go but no luck.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2019 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Cliff for the “new-fangled” way to post pics. It’s so easy, even I can do it. 😀
Kit
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock