Started on: 08-30-2019 08:08 PM
Replies: 111 (3810 views)
Last post by: Toddster on 06-07-2021 05:37 PM
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2019 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK folks, Up to now I have been reassembling the engine and yesterday Evan and I put it in the car.

One of the "Must Do's" is turfing the TBI coolant lines. Not only do they rob you of power but they are in the way of every sensor, module, and bolt you need access too. Since the MAP sensor is attached you need to hack off the MAP sensor bracket first. as for the coolant outlets on the thermostat housing you can just loop over a piece small hose but I prefer to cut them off and weld up the holes.

There are 3 main changes you need to make when you swap a pre-88 engine and harness into a 1988 car. 1) the cross over pipe will point directly at the torsion bar and needs a bit of a bend upwards to clear it. 2) The pigtail for the CS130 alternator needs to be changed, 3) the oil pressure sending unit is different and need a new pigtail as well (optional). You can just use a pre-88 pressure sending unit, as I am doing here. Also notice that I removed the bulkhead heat sheild (The leaf catcher) and used thermal wrap instead. This will make maintenance so much easier, improves heat retention, reduces underhood temps, and looks cool too.

For the cross over pipe the solution is to use your BFP. No workshop is complete without one. You only need to bend it up about 1 inch. TIP, do not use a pry bar or some other object inside the crossover pipe, you'll just warp the thin metal, use a large pipe OVER the outer diameter of the crossover pipe.

The pigtail is an off the shelf item at any NAPA store. Connect the red wire to red, the brown wire to brown, and don't connect the black wire to anything (just tape it down). Boom, that is literally all there is to a CS130 upgrade. For the Red Wire, your average 25w solder iron will not work, you need a 100-300watt solder gun.

The previous owner didn't like the crumby stainless exhuast tips (can't blame him) so he put some crumby tip covers over them. they just screw on, so I removed them and used plumbers tape to sand the crud off the tips while I had the chance. I will get after it with some metal polish when I have time for detailing.

Finally! time to put the engine back in. 2 hours work we had it back where it belongs.

We still need to bleed the brakes. I will eventually upgrade the brakes, struts, rotors, etc but for now I just need it running. I had a spare set of sway bar poly bushings so I installed those. TIP, always do this last when installing and first when removing the engine. If you leave them attached you will never get the struts spread far enough apart to slide up into the strut towers.

Today we will bleed everything, reconnect all the hoses, cables, wires, etc. and get it on the ground. with luck, we will have it running today!

[This message has been edited by Toddster (edited 11-10-2019).]

IP: Logged
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2019 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, we are moved into the new house! And exhausted. I have the garage semi organized but I still need to run another outlet into it before I can truly ramp-up the project again.

We are on Roswell Georgia and loving it...y'all

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2019 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

Dude... WTF?!
Didn't see that coming.

Welcome to the South. Bless your heart.

Nice house, BTW.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-17-2019).]

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2019 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wait a few months when the humidity switch gets turned on and then see how you feel!
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2019 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Dude... WTF?!
Didn't see that coming.

Welcome to the South. Bless your heart.

Nice house, BTW.

Thanks, we'll definitely need to grab a cup of yule tide cheer soon!
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been awhile. What you up to with this build??????

------------------
Thank You
Thomas
NIFE Activity Director
1987 Fiero GT T-Top 1988 Fiero Formula

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

Been awhile. What you up to with this build??????

Todd recently moved from California to Georgia so I assume that is why there are no recent updates.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 05-22-2020).]

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2020 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the project is on hold for a few more weeks until the weather improves. After moving, we used the garage for storage and there is no room to work. I need to install some overheads and shelves as well as run a new outlet to get power t the work benches and sand blasting cabinet. I am getting a shed as well to store the gardening tools, trash bins, and miscellaneous items.

I will post pics soon and then we can get back to work on the car.

[This message has been edited by Toddster (edited 03-03-2020).]

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn Photobucket to HELL! They suck. Gotta go with another host service.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damn Photobucket to HELL! They suck. Gotta go with another host service.

Todd, when you post, there is an "upload image" button on the bottom of the post box which allows you to direct upload images.
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2020 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I seriously can not wait to get back to work on this thing but until I get my outbuilding finished and clear out some space, it is like trying to build a ship in a bottle in my garage right now

PFF
System Bot
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2020 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your garage looks clean compared to mine right now.
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2020 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the white 88, GT or not.
If I ever do another Fiero, it will probably be white,...but highly modified
I LOVE black on tan interior but the "Beachwood" never grew on me. That being said, I still prefer it over the Grey for a white car.
Looks cool, have fun and stay safe.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2020 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suggest moving things to a bedroom or living room...
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2020 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

This a great idea to take advantage of some wasted space
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I seriously can not wait to get back to work on this thing but until I get my outbuilding finished and clear out some space, it is like trying to build a ship in a bottle in my garage right now

I understand. We moved in March. Most of my stuff is in storage. The guys were supposed to start on our garage and barn this week, but it didn't happen.
I have enough room to do only the most basic stuff.
Good luck.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post11-13-2020 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a winter project. I'm not sure which one it is, though.

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Tell my wife....wait, let me get popcorn
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2021 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally got the time to build a work bench, shelves, and bike racks. I can actually get to the car now!

Time to get back to work on it!
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2021 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I suspected, the fuel injectors were varnished up after sitting for 17 years so in go a new set! I'm replacing the fuel pressure regulator as well. So the entire fuel system from the pump to the injectors is new.

And the sail panel were toast after baking in the Arizona sun so I found these bad boys on eBay

Finishing the top of the engine today and then onto filling the clutch with new DOT3 and then rebuilding the brakes!

[This message has been edited by Toddster (edited 06-02-2021).]

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First on the To-Do list was to replace the fuel injectors and fuel Pressure Regulator. Always dab a little oil on the new O-rings to let the injectors slide into the fuel rail and the lower intake easily. Once they get up to temp it will help seal them against vacuum leaks as well.

The engine is DONE! Notice the New Dorman Ground Strap too. No electrical issues for me, thank you.

Now to bleed the clutch. WOW, there is a site you do not see often, CLEAN DOT3!

Now that I have a clutch and an engine, time to take care of a few small items before doing a test run, top of the list...rebuild the brakes!

[This message has been edited by Toddster (edited 05-22-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2021 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
She's OUTSIDE! Mechanics are almost done, still have the brakes to deal with but while I wait on parts I am getting into the paint. Sitting under an awning outside for 15 years means that the paint is scuffed and faded. In some places I will actually need touch up paint to do and in others a good buff and blend will work. Thank God it's white, it holds-up better than any other color to sun damage.

The trim paint will be redone on the T-Tops and other trim areas. A few more weeks and she will be ready for prime time!

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2021 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I swapped the hood for one with good paint, same with the wing. I only need to touch up a few spots on the roof and rear quarter now and it will be a solid 8/10. Better than a full respray for sure!

Phosphor_Burn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2021 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Phosphor_BurnSend a Private Message to Phosphor_BurnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fantastic thread. You're obviously extremely knowledgeable about all the quirks and details.
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2021 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phosphor_Burn:

Fantastic thread. You're obviously extremely knowledgeable about all the quirks and details.

I've owned 33 Fieros over the past 28 years. You get to know a car pretty well when you've torn that many apart and put them back together.
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2021 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Toddster

20871 posts
Member since May 2001
Today I finished the T-Top trim painting and installed new P-seals!

The new sail panels make all the difference!

Then I finished the details in the engine and fired it up for the first time in 17 years! Timing set to 10 degrees and she purrs like a kitten now Timing mark is steady as a rock (no walking). Sunday I chase down the inevitable gremlins and take it out for it's first test drive!

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2021 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Soooo just in time to join the rest of the Georgia crew and bring it to Carlisle? ;-)
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2021 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierochic88:

Soooo just in time to join the rest of the Georgia crew and bring it to Carlisle? ;-)

And also join us at our next meeting at the Marietta Diner, South Cobb Drive, 9:30 AM, June 12, then EARLY June 13 at Caffeine and Octane at Perimeter Mall on Ashford Dunwoody.
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

And also join us at our next meeting at the Marietta Diner, South Cobb Drive, 9:30 AM, June 12, then EARLY June 13 at Caffeine and Octane at Perimeter Mall on Ashford Dunwoody.

I'll give it the old college try! I have a couple of electrical gremlins to finish fixing. The rats had eaten part of the rear tail light wiring and I haven't found the break yet. Also, the AC is still not operational yet. Thankfully....I have T-Tops!
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Toddster

20871 posts
Member since May 2001
IT'S DONE! Wit the exception of a handful of fiddly trim pieces and a good detailing. It drives like a bat outta hell. EPIC!

Refurbished Rims
New Tires
Rebuilt Calipers
New brake Pads
Bled brakes
New Aluminum 3 core radiator
Rebuilt headlight motors
New bulbs
New Hoses front to back
New timing gear
New Water pump
New Front and Rear main seals
Rebuilt distributor with new coil, ignition module, cap, and rotors
New Plugs and 8mm Wires
New Fuel Pump
New sock
New fuel filter
New fuel lines
New Fuel Pressure Regulator
New Fuel Injectors
Ported Exhaust manifolds
New gaskets
New Thermal Heat Wrap
Swapped Auto tranny for Getrag 5-speed with new gear oil
New Pressure plate
New Clutch
New Flywheel
New Throw-out bearing
New Clutch Master Cylinder
New Clutch Slave Cylinder
New K&N air Filter
Fresh Trim Paint
New Passenger Power Window Motor
New Subwoofer (after conversion) and speakers
New 12 Volt Power panel
New Power Mirror switch after conversion
New Power Window switches after conversion
Swapped Leather Seats from a 1988 GT
New Reupholstered Headliner
New Reupholstered Sun Visors
Rebuilt Heater/AC exchange box
New Accumulator, Compressor, and Evaporator
New Wiper blades
All panel rivets drilled out and replaced with rivnuts so panels are removable
New Sail Panels
New Trunk Release conversion with new button
New Poly anti-sway bushings
New Front Motor Mount
New P-Seals on T-Tops
T-Top Locks with Key
New Relays
New Nose Badge
New Tail Badge
Cleaned and Detailed

[This message has been edited by Toddster (edited 06-09-2021).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2021 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great stuff Todd. Glad to see you're still enjoying the Fiero lifestyle
PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2021 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Great stuff Todd. Glad to see you're still enjoying the Fiero lifestyle

There is no experience like driving a Formula.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock