Pattern for seat upholstry?? by justin87
Started on: 07-03-2019 04:14 PM
Replies: 16 (551 views)
Last post by: justin87 on 07-22-2019 03:06 PM
justin87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justin87Send a Private Message to justin87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Digging through the forums i found this great thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...6632&style=printable

It talks all about how to do your own custom seats. The only problem is, the suggestion is to take your old seat and use it as a pattern. Herin lies the problem. In the Fiero I just purchased, the seats were covered when I bought them, meaning there really isnt much of a seat underneath. No where near enough to reverse engineer into a pattern. I tried my best to find a pattern online, but came up empty. So my question here is, does anyone else know where to get a pattern from? If it matters I have an 85 gt with head rest speakers.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually encourage people to work on their own stuff but seeing how complicated Fiero seat covers are I would say get them from Mr Mike.
He has different options and they are made really well.
The vinyl ones are reasonably priced compared to getting a quote from a local upholstery shop.
Just my .02
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can contact Russ88TTop as well. here is the link to his seat cover thread. He does great work https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/077834.html

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
2012 Kia Forte Koup
2017 Kia Forte S

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners
FieroNews Hoodies and T-Shirts

justin87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2019 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justin87Send a Private Message to justin87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply, however the problem with Mr. Mikes is that, while his stuff is amazing, it is very pricey. (I believe the cheapest option is around $450) The same issue with the seat covers mentioned, which, while I'm sure are super high quality, still run upwards of $200. That being said, I am no novice when it comes to sewing and construction. Some of the more complicated things I've done in the past include cosplay costumes which are, I'm sure, a bit more difficult then sewing a seat. The bigger issue here is that I want it to be close to what an 'original' would be, which requires an example made from an original such as a pattern, hence the question.. does anyone have a pattern for Fiero seats? It seems to me that there is a TON of good information on everything under the sun to do with Fieros in general, it is slightly odd that such a thing is not public.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2019 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I followed (and contributed) to that thread back then. Really not that hard to do with the right equipment. I still have my patterns tucked away somewhere. The issue is digitiziing them.

You might just try to buy some old covers in the mall. I'm sure someone would probably donate them to your cause.

Bob
justin87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2019 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justin87Send a Private Message to justin87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RCR, I PM-ed you. If you could supply pictures of the pattern, I could help in digitizing them. I almost started trying to do just that from nothing but reference photos from the original thread, but my biggest fear is sizing issues. I'm fairly certain I could recreate a pattern from the pictures there (with a little help from my own, but the bigger issue comes into sizing. So... if you (or anyone really that has a working pattern) . could lay them out with rulers and or tape measures for reference, I THINK I could create a digital (printable) version of the pattern.

- Side note... if anyone was willing to donate a top and bottom to the cause, I would be forever grateful and in return I would post my work here for the community to use. (They dont have to be good or 'usable' . just need to have most of the shape intact)

[This message has been edited by justin87 (edited 07-08-2019).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by justin87:

The bigger issue here is that I want it to be close to what an 'original' would be, which requires an example made from an original such as a pattern, hence the question.. does anyone have a pattern for Fiero seats? It seems to me that there is a TON of good information on everything under the sun to do with Fieros in general, it is slightly odd that such a thing is not public.

I'm not sure the original pattern can still be purchased. Wait.. are you guys creating the fabric with the correct pattern?
Also there are two different original patterns depending on what year Fiero. I believe its 84-86 called Pallex, and 87 and 88 has a sort of diamond shape pattern which I cant remember the name.
justin87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for justin87Send a Private Message to justin87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be willing to make a pattern available for download for either. From what I can tell, there is no place you can purchase or even download the original patter. I am looking to make that happen (mostly for myself, but I would gladly give it back to the community for others to use). However... If you are asking specifically what I'm looking for

This is the style I would like to create in mine, so this is the pattern style I would be looking for.

[This message has been edited by justin87 (edited 07-10-2019).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I mean to refer to two different fabric patterns, the texture of the actual fabric. If that matters.
justin87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justin87Send a Private Message to justin87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the actual fabric, who knows... From what I gather; material matching the original is a near impossibility so anything at this point is either 100% custom (the way I'm probably going to go) or as close as possible.

For my project I'm trying to stay with something that looks like it COULD have been in a Fiero, but doesnt have to be an exact match. I will probably make mine from either faux leather, velour, or some combination of both. Heck.. to be honest, my first try will probably be out of cheap as walmart, off the shelf whatever just so I can refine the process. This is usually how I have gone about custom sewing projects in the past. Start with a prototype and work the bugs out with cheap stuff.. then do it for reals. Again though, the first step is getting a pattern to work from... so.. anyone willing to help the cause, I'm all ears.

-J
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2019 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Justin, I PM'd you back. It may take a little time, but I'll get back to you.

Bob
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2019 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by justin87:

For the actual fabric, who knows... From what I gather; material matching the original is a near impossibility so anything at this point is either 100% custom (the way I'm probably going to go) or as close as possible.

SMS Auto Fabrics apparently does have the OEM Parallax seat fabrics.
You will have to call to get free sample swatches:
https://www.smsautofabrics.com/

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2019 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got fabric samples from SMS a few years back when refurbishing one of my '84's. Was very close to original. Ended up finding matching set of originals and making two nice seats from what I bought and what came in the car. I looked in the shop, and have a complete seat back upholstery that you can have for a pattern. Did not find a seat bottom as of yet. If you need it, LMK and I'll find a way to ship it to you.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2019 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Justin,
Went through the old stuff. Apparently, I only made patterns for the back, but I do have the parts of the bottom.
I took pics of the patterns, using two rulers, squared, and taped to the floor to keep them from moving.
If this is useful, I came email you the hi-res pics and see if I can make the bottom patterns.

Bob

This is how they go together
justin87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2019 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justin87Send a Private Message to justin87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow thanks for the responses guys!

Ive started work on digitizing the patterns and this is where I'm at so far.

picture upload sites

This is meant to be printed at 24 X 18, which can be done at any printing store like staples or . kinkos

[This message has been edited by justin87 (edited 07-15-2019).]

bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2019 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Justin,
According to USPS tracking , you should see the seatback upholstery today, Hope it works for you. It is actually from an 84, but should do the trick. Good luck.
justin87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2019 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justin87Send a Private Message to justin87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a ton once again, this will help this little project so much. I cant wait to tear em apart and start the pattern making process.

- Ive received the doner back and started work on pattern creation once more. This might take a bit....

[This message has been edited by justin87 (edited 07-23-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock