Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  adding an aux input jack to a factory Pontiac CD radio (info wanted)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
adding an aux input jack to a factory Pontiac CD radio (info wanted) by 86.4SPD.GT
Started on: 06-10-2018 05:06 PM
Replies: 15 (1152 views)
Last post by: lou_dias on 04-29-2019 07:00 PM
86.4SPD.GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that there are many people here who would love to be able to 'mod' their already owned 90's Pontiac CD radio themselves and save some money, but after searching here/everywhere on the web for a definitive "how to" method, I keep coming up empty.
All the sources I have found for information conclude with reason to leave doubt if it will even actually work or state how a CD has to be installed to trick the radio or a switch has to be added, etc/etc.
I know that there is in fact a way to add an aux input jack(with the right amount of pins?) that doesn't require tricking the radio or adding a 3 position switch, etc/etc.
I have a soldering iron, minimal electronic experience, a couple of these radios already in my possession, and the desire to learn how to do it if anyone would be kind enough to offer this information.
I realize that people are already offering these modded radios, but I'm not looking to step on anyone's toes/sell modded radios.
I would just like to be able to do it myself to a radio that I already own.
Even if anyone can post a link(s) that explains a definitive method that doesn't include "blowing fuses",someone saying "this won't work", or "I know a better way"(with no explanation) I would be grateful because I haven't found anything yet.
Thank you in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stole these from someone on here. I can't remember who so I can't answer any questions about this. Maybe someone else can chime in if you have any questions. This is if you want an external mounted aux input on your dash. If you want it on the actual stereo, obviously just shorten your wiring and mount it on the face of the stereo.

86.4SPD.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the reply and all of that information! I will look it over and maybe others can comment on whether or not this will in fact work with the slightly newer Pontiac CD radios as well. I read where it says it will work on radios up to '99, but I believe the radio I have was offered up until like 2002 or so. It is the 7 band EQ version, similar in appearance to the monsoon version.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See this thread and you can see the variation of stereos that Tom has done. I believe your model is shown. I assume the guts may be the same as far as the input wiring.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/075303.html

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 06-10-2018).]

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FIero Tom made mine for me its a monsoon radio and it works great. He does awesome work and recommend him if You want somebody to do the work for youo.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
2012 Kia Forte Koup
2017 Kia Forte S

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners
FieroNews Hoodies and T-Shirts

86.4SPD.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, soon after becoming a member here and seeing Tom's thread is where I got the desire to have one of these radios(with the aux input jack installed). I did post with interest to purchase one from Tom in that thread, but between my unfamiliarity with this site/private message system and the fact that Tom seemed to sell his last radio, I wasn't able to make a purchase from him.
After about a week and not realizing that Tom would end up having more for sale, I purchased a couple from eBay(without the input jack).

I do believe that Tom does do great work. Right now though, I have 3 of these radios, a good soldering iron, 10 of the 3.5 mm aux input jacks(5 pin) that I purchased, and the desire to try and learn to do it myself(just for myself-not to try and undercut anyone or step on anyone's toes).
I have checked online quite a bit for the exact radio that I have and directions to add that aux jack, but it seems that all of the radios I have found information for are either newer or older than the one I have.
I believe that this would surely help many people here who may be able to do this type of work and also contribute to the vast amount of information that this forum contributes to us fiero owners who get the pride of having done things for ourselves whenever we can.
These radios DO fit the interior/lighting of these cars nicely. I already have one installed and I love it. I just would like to add the aux input to put my 1986 into 21st century

[This message has been edited by 86.4SPD.GT (edited 06-10-2018).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86.4SPD.GT:

Actually, soon after becoming a member here and seeing Tom's thread is where I got the desire to have one of these radios(with the aux input jack installed). I did post with interest to purchase one from Tom in that thread, but between my unfamiliarity with this site/private message system and the fact that Tom seemed to sell his last radio, I wasn't able to make a purchase from him.
After about a week and not realizing that Tom would end up having more for sale, I purchased a couple from eBay(without the input jack).

No guts, no glory. Rip one of those son of a bitches apart and get soldering
86.4SPD.GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86.4SPD.GTSend a Private Message to 86.4SPD.GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was typing an edit to my last post while you posted above.

I know that THAT may be the approach I end up taking. I am just hoping that someone increases my odds of it being successful

*IF* I do end up figuring this out, I will try to help others out by providing some info on how I ended up getting mine done.
Let's face it, not everyone(including even me) would be able to successfully do this type of project which would still allow those who sell these types of radios already modded to be purchased.

[This message has been edited by 86.4SPD.GT (edited 06-10-2018).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2018 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most GM radios w/ "old style plugs" that Fiero uses are "easy" because amp and radio are separate boards and easy to fit a plug.
But this plug often isn't a "Line In" etc plug and many things in it needs to watch volume output signal to the plug. (Line In/Out is a "standard" connection = 1v Peak Signal. See http://www.shure.com/americ...el-what-do-they-mean )

Most MP3 players etc outputs expect 30+Ω "headphones" and even then signal is very weak so most will work w/o problems.

Even then wires between boards can change from one unit to next. If you find radio output in 1 unit, don't count same wires in next w/o checking or can kill the radio or whatever plugged into the line. Is why we had 2 directions to add plugs to two of head types. (I'm not digging thru threads to find the data.)

Many people installed the plug in the Tape or CD signal lines and why need a tape/CD in the head or switching to fake it. People that push or follow this often have no clue.

Radios w/ new style plugs can be same as above in 90's but more newer you get the more problems to find the radio output.
To the point Many now have single boards w/ surface mount parts (SMT boards w/ many to all SMD parts) and many or every "radio" is different to meet OEM needs. Again, If you find radio output in 1 unit, don't count same traces in next w/o checking or can kill the radio or whatever plugged into the line.
Even cutting a trace can cause problems because many are multi-layer boards and can cut into next layer very easy.

Many just use aux and/or BT adapters that broadcast FM or plug into antenna wiring and be done.
Is often ok but FM channels doesn't = to wiring directly. FM cuts low and high sounds because how FM works to get stereo. Even then adapters can cut sound rage more then FM specs too. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...oadcasting#Stereo_FM )

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2019 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I stole these from someone on here. I can't remember who so I can't answer any questions about this.

I've just looked through all the instructions.

It seems he's connecting straight into the amplifier board AFTER the Radio and Main boards.
I think this would render useless the volume/EQ/fader/balance controls of the radio itself.

If anything, the connection should be on the FM stereo output of the radio board (RED circle).
Then the Aux input signals will be processed by the Main board before going to the amplifier.

Am I missing something?

Cable from Radio Board would be logical location.

Preferred location for taps would be "A" on units with separate Radio Board.
Newer unit have Radio/Controller board combined, so "B" would be next location.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-27-2019).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2019 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
Am I missing something?

That's a good question. I can't remember who I "borrowed" those from otherwise I would ask them. I've never tried this method. I just saved the images and instructions for other people to view.

Edit.....Looking at the wiring, you are probably right. The only item you would have is on/off control of the radio. All the other audio adjustments would be done from the external device.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-25-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
migs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2019 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for migsSend a Private Message to migsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stuff posted in here is for older style radios, if you are looking to add the MP3 input to a newer Delco radio this link is what you want to look at, has a lot of pages and people are using various radios but you can find what you want to know in here, I did and purchased a $10 pack of those generic headphone plugs and then broke open my new NOS radio from ebay and got to soldering, very nerve racking as the wires are tiny, get a micro soldering kit on amazon if you don't have it and take your time but I now have a functional Delco tape deck which automatically switches over to my phone when I plug the headphone cable into it. The TOM guy on here will not explain anything I have asked repeatedly in his F/S threads even offering to pay for the DIY method.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/...without-adapter.html
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2019 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by migs:

The stuff posted in here is for older style radios, if you are looking to add the MP3 input to a newer Delco radio this link is what you want to look at, has a lot of pages and people are using various radios but you can find what you want to know in here,

Thanks for the link.

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2019 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by migs:

The stuff posted in here is for older style radios, if you are looking to add the MP3 input to a newer Delco radio this link is what you want to look at, has a lot of pages and people are using various radios but you can find what you want to know in here, I did and purchased a $10 pack of those generic headphone plugs and then broke open my new NOS radio from ebay and got to soldering, very nerve racking as the wires are tiny, get a micro soldering kit on amazon if you don't have it and take your time but I now have a functional Delco tape deck which automatically switches over to my phone when I plug the headphone cable into it. The TOM guy on here will not explain anything I have asked repeatedly in his F/S threads even offering to pay for the DIY method.

Tom must wire into the pre-amp lines going to the amp because whether I'm listening to the radio or have a CD playing, having something in the jack makes my AUX input pass thru instead regardless.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2019 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

Tom must wire into the pre-amp lines going to the amp because whether I'm listening to the radio or have a
CD playing, having something in the jack makes my AUX input pass thru instead regardless.

Hard to say since there's so many different units and no good source of Wiring Diagrams available for any of them.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-27-2019).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2019 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
Hard to say since there's so many different units and no good source of Wiring Diagrams available for any of them.

I have a monsoon unit he did...I should open it up when I'm ready to get another one done...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock