Deal or NO deal? KNOCK IN THE ENGINE... by 72and86
Started on: 05-16-2018 10:56 AM
Replies: 19 (476 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 05-20-2018 11:06 AM
72and86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2018 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 72and86Send a Private Message to 72and86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Miss my bought-new 1984 SE.
But now I see an opportunity to buy a 1986 GT for $850. BUUUT:
Seller writes "THIS IS A COMPLETE 1986 PONTIAC FIERO GT. IT HAS A KNOCK IN THE ENGINE AND COMES WITH A FACTORY RARE 4 SPEED MUNCIE TRANSMISSION BUT STARTS AND RUNS. THIS WOULD MAKE A GREAT PROJECT CAR FOR SOMEONE AS THIS IS A RARE CAR AND EVEN MORE RARE WITH A FACTORY 4 SPEED MUNCIE"
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2018 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All depends on you. How put together is the body? Rust? I am not sure if the 4 speed's are considered rare. You could just purchase the car and do a swap right away and not fool with the 2.8L.
72and86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2018 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 72and86Send a Private Message to 72and86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

All depends on you. How put together is the body? Rust? I am not sure if the 4 speed's are considered rare. You could just purchase the car and do a swap right away and not fool with the 2.8L.

Yeah I ignore "rare" claims for the most part. https://providence.craigsli...o-gt/6557590643.html
Have a look. I'm not a mechanic...
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-16-2018 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking at the sale ad has me think that once the car is purchased, it will need EVERYTHING touched to be trust worthy. There appears to be little to no maintenance done, the car looks very "dry" due to elements, is being upsold by the owner, and is worth $850 only if a good chunk of change and disappointment go into her.

My $.02.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2018 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In an '86, the 5 speed Getrag would be considered rare, as the 4 speed Muncie was installed in most of the manual transmission V-6 cars. The Getrag was introduced late in the model year, a relatively small number had them.

As to the car, if the spaceframe is solid, go for it!
$850 looks good, but offer $600....you might get it for $750.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2018 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4-speed Muncie is definitely not rare. The car looks like it needs a lot of work. And the engine probably needs a rebuild. So it's basically a parts car. Speaking of which, the ad says:

THE PRICE IS FIRM AND IF WE CANT GET $850 FOR IT I WILL START PARTING IT OUT ON EBAY.

Yeah, he should probably do that.

BTW: Is that a piece of 2x4 wedged between the radiator and overflow bottle?

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 05-16-2018).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2018 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

BTW: Is that a piece of 2x4 wedged between the radiator and overflow bottle?

What, you never had the plastic tabs break off of your overflow reservoir?

Originally posted by 72and86:

Have a look. I'm not a mechanic...

You say you're "not a mechanic". Well, either you'll need to learn to become one... or any older car will end up costing you a small fortune if you're paying someone else to do the work.

Depending on how rare Fieros are in your neck of the woods, $850 doesn't seem like too bad of a price for what appears to basically be a "complete" GT. Being able to find a good 2.8 to swap in (maybe from someone doing an engine upgrade) would definitely help to make this car worthwhile purchasing.

No matter what, you'd still need to check for rust in the typical problem areas before making any final decision. Don't be this guy.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-16-2018).]

72and86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2018 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 72and86Send a Private Message to 72and86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

You say you're "not a mechanic". Well, either you'll need to learn to become one... or any older car will end up costing you a small fortune if you're paying someone else to do the work.

Depending on how rare Fieros are in your neck of the woods, $850 doesn't seem like too bad of a price for what appears to basically be a "complete" GT. Being able to find a good 2.8 to swap in (maybe from someone doing an engine upgrade) would definitely help to make this car worthwhile purchasing.

No matter what, you'd still need to check for rust in the typical problem areas before making any final decision. Don't be this guy.

Where are the typical problem areas on this GT? BTW: Fieros are pretty easy to find here in New England.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2018 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 72and86:

Where are the typical problem areas on this GT?

Rust has previously been asked about a few times here. Common rust areas where to look??

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-17-2018).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2018 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

For a non-mechanic, buying a sub-$1000 POS is false economy.

Spending 4-5k will get a Fiero that's mostly in order.

If you can't afford 4-5k, you can't afford the 1k car and the paying for the repairs it will require.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2018 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$850 for a fastback GT would be sweet if there's no rust, even if it needs an engine. I'd do it if I had the garage space to replace the engine in. Having someone replace the engine would be $3000+, if you're not mechanically inclined a Fiero really isn't a good choice...
PFF
System Bot
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2018 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

$850 for a fastback GT would be sweet if there's no rust, even if it needs an engine. I'd do it if I had the garage space to replace the engine in. Having someone replace the engine would be $3000+,..

I would still offer $600, worst they can say is 'no'.

if you're not mechanically inclined a Fiero really isn't a good choice.

I have a sign in my garage:

Pontiac Fiero - making ordinary men into mechanics since 1984

It's very appropriate, as I've learned a LOT since owning mine.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2018 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trivet:

Pontiac Fiero - making ordinary men into mechanics since 1984

Unfortunately, the flip-side of that often seems to apply as well...

Pontiac Fiero - turning mechanics into crooks since about 1998

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2018 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trivet and Patrick: I truly enjoy both of those slogans. lol
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2018 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine Noise is only 1 thing
Look under the car, under trunk carpet sides, etc or you could have same problem in https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/141298.html
IOW "project car" can easily be a "parts car" at best because you can't fix uni-body frame.

Check local laws and/or HOA rules on parking for project/parts car.
Unregistered cars park anywhere outside can cause problems in many places.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2018 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the rod bearings in my GT for $23, fixed my problem and runs like a champ.
Not saying thats your problem, but definitely possible and easy fix
boostedbird

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2018 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boostedbirdSend a Private Message to boostedbirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Looking at the sale ad has me think that once the car is purchased, it will need EVERYTHING touched to be trust worthy. There appears to be little to no maintenance done, the car looks very "dry" due to elements, is being upsold by the owner, and is worth $850 only if a good chunk of change and disappointment go into her.

My $.02.

But it's got the poly dog bone.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2018 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by boostedbird:

But it's got the poly dog bone.

...and an MSD coil.

By the way, might these be aluminum cradle bushings?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-19-2018).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2018 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

(snip)

IOW "project car" can easily be a "parts car" at best because you can't fix uni-body frame.

(snip)

And there is the Uni-body BS again.....
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2018 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of the stuff under the decklid looks rusty. I wouldn't be surprised if other places are rusty as well. (Not that that proves anything.)

It also has an 87-88 (engraved) upper intake, so it's had work, of some sort, done to it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock