Common rust areas where to look?? by adm927
Started on: 09-07-2016 10:17 AM
Replies: 16 (1078 views)
Last post by: RWDPLZ on 04-09-2017 01:30 PM
adm927

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2016 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting ready to go look at an 87 gt soon. Been sitting for a couple of years outside covered but in the ground not on a driveway.. What are the common bad areas that I should look at? I have not been under a fiero in many years.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2016 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Peel back the trunk carpet and look at the corners. Also reach up the rear suspension and feel the frame rails the best you can. I'm sure someone will be along to post horrible pictures of rusty Fieros.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-07-2016 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Under the battery, near the brake lines, and under the trunk carpet, are generally good indicators.

If the battery tray is rusted out, it's probably not a good sign, for example, as the acid will drip down on the frame/cradle and eat at the paint and steel there too.
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2016 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my case, floor pans. Rusty and nasty. Mine sat out for years, of course, mine has T-Tops

Another area is the crossover pipe, and the two lower support brackets for the radiator. Those parts are easily found here though.

Good luck and save that Fiero!
adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2016 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the good info. I will be sure to check all those areas.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2016 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero 88:

I'm sure someone will be along to post horrible pictures of rusty Fieros.

Pictures are so yesterday.

adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2016 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ouch! I will never buy one that bad. lol

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2016 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note, you would have to take the wheel well plastic liner out to see that rust. Except what you can see from the trunk inside with carpet out.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2016 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look anywhere it is steel. LOL!

The first place to look is like stated in the trunk on the sides. This is where they first go at the spot weld.

If it is bad there it may be worse else where.

Also many forget the space frame space over the rear axles. It is a boxed section that will rot totally away even with the rest of the car in good condition.

If it is rusty walk away. Too many other good cars left to deal with rust.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2016 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine cradle would be best place to start to indicate. It should give an indication how much paint is still on it if no paint on cradle then no paint left anywhere.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-16-2016 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have found Michigan and Ohio to be the most common rust areas. 😄
PFF
System Bot
Quad4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2017 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad4Send a Private Message to Quad4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So maybe this is more of a question about etiquette than about rust....

When I go to look at a car, I gather that I need to pull back the trunk carpet and look for rust. (Thanks, forum users, for this tip.) But I would be pretty ticked off if I got my car prepped to show for sale and then some jerk came along and upset the trunk trim. I guess if I go and pull someone's trunk trim off, I'd like to be able to put it back the way I found it. How do I do that? Does it tuck under that rubber weather seal? Is it a difficult job?

jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2017 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ask for them to take the carpet out and send pic before I even go to look at it. If they refuse I don't go
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2017 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just remember if you find any rust you need to examine the entire car. Only exception may be the battery tray area. In other words, sometime acid from the battery can cause the rust. If you can't find rust in the trunk corners under the carpet or along the spot welds in that same area, then there is a good chance your good. I've found rust behind the heat cloth used on the firewall between the engine and seat area but again it was always associated with spot welds or the edges of the sheet metal. I've seen rusted rear cradles on cars with no other rust and you also want to look at the condition of the nuts and bolts. I've seen some very rusted bolts on rear suspension and front chassis parts. Not that rusted nuts/bolts would be a deal breaker but it may be an indication of how long its been since any maintenance has been done.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2017 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

YUP! Good one.....Don't know what happened to Ontario....

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-08-2017).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2017 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

True story
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2017 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That rust belt map should extend a bit further north in Michigan.

//www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...ad=20160323-2-121544

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock