Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  1988 Front wheel bearings from AC Delco on EBAY??

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
1988 Front wheel bearings from AC Delco on EBAY?? by cam-a-lot
Started on: 04-06-2018 01:09 PM
Replies: 14 (829 views)
Last post by: vertigo1 on 05-17-2021 02:09 AM
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2018 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was under the impression that AC Delco front wheel bearings for 88 have long ago been discontinued. This listing claims to be AC Delco, and speficially for the 88 Fiero, though the part number is different from the original GM part number

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC...AOSwol5Y0q5~&vxp=mtr

Any thoughts on this? I know it was covered a year ago. If anyone has more recent info, it would be great. I plan to order a spare from Rodney most likely if these are not "really" AC Delco parts

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/097606.html

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 04-06-2018).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2018 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The different part number is because the part is from a low budget product line called "ACDelco Advantage" See the news clip below. I don't know if this is a new product, or the one that has been failing for the last few years.

This is the big dilemma for name-brand suppliers. They are more expensive, and they want more business....so they offer a cheaper line, but they can't resist using their brand-name to help sell the cheaper stuff... so they modify their brand name just a little, hoping it will help sell parts without tarnishing the original brand...which never works. Pretty soon we consumers will not associate ACDelco with anything other than the usual junk at the big box stores.

https://www.partsandpeople....ntage-chassis-lineup

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-06-2018).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2018 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For what its worth, that vendor on ebay has 94,632 products listed for sale, has been a member since Aug 2017, and has a feedback score of 38, something doesn't add up.

I suspect he is just a drop shipper wanna be and probably copied a bunch of catalogs to list parts from and doesn't have any actual inventory.

As for the picture, the dust cover is recessed in the end, which is not the OEM style, so the picture is of some aftermarket version.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2018 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 front hubs are all over Ebay. AFAIK all of them are Chinese no-name imports. As such the quality may be good or it may be bad. We've seen some Chinese rear hubs that last for just a year so its anyone guess as to the reliability.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2018 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone. I will order one from Rodney. If I remember correctly, his bearings can be rebuilt with off the shelf parts if needed down the road..
vertigo1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2021 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vertigo1Send a Private Message to vertigo1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And here is my dilemma; where does one get these front bearings now? I don't believe Rodney sells them anymore and I'm concerned I may be SOL trying to fix the wife's Formula with a really shaky bearing.
jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2021 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney still has the rebuildable '88 hubs. The non-rebuildable version he had earlier was proven unreliable.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2021 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy from Rodney.

But if you want the AC Delco branded one - Rockauto sells them as well (and several other brands - seems they are all jumping on the band wagon).
vertigo1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2021 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vertigo1Send a Private Message to vertigo1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You all are life-savers. THANK YOU (positive ratings sent).
By chance, might you know about how difficult it is to replace these? We talking a few hours or a weekend? LOL.
Thanks again.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2021 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vertigo1:

You all are life-savers. THANK YOU (positive ratings sent).
By chance, might you know about how difficult it is to replace these? We talking a few hours or a weekend? LOL.
Thanks again.

Hard question to answer, since it depends on skill level, condition of the car (rust, etc) and availability of tools. To lots of members here, pulling an engine or changing a clutch is "easy". For others, changing brake pads or flushing coolant is difficult. So it is a hard question to answer.. Best to get a copy of the factory service manual and follow the instructions.

Rodney is a great resource, so if you buy his hubs, please follow his instructions carefully regarding torque and lubrication of the components

Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2021 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At one time Autozone listed a front wheel bearing for an 1988 but it was for 1987 and earlier, they did not know the difference.
PFF
System Bot
jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2021 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks again.

Couple hours, depends on rust. Douse the knuckle and bolts with penetrant, mine eventually wiggled out with a pry bar and BFH.
Later, when I had a bad pair from Rodney (old, non-rebuildable ones), each side was like 30 mins wheel-off -> wheel-on.
vertigo1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2021 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vertigo1Send a Private Message to vertigo1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info everyone.
Skill level is; I removed the exhaust manifolds and the rest of the exhaust system, breaking off two bolts in the head, and used Rodney Dickman's jig to remove said bolts while the engine was still in the car. I have changed my own brake-pads before and flushed the brake fluid before though I have never replaced a clutch or flushed coolant on a Fiero (done both on a 1971 Opel GT though, LOL).
I do have the factory service manual and I'll be following Rodney's instructions to the letter.
Thanks all, looks like I'll be taking the plunge next month :-).
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2021 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Skill level is; I removed the exhaust manifolds and the rest of the exhaust system, breaking off two bolts in the head, and used Rodney Dickman's jig to remove said bolts while the engine was still in the car.

Rear bank? Not bad. But if it was the front bank... two thumbs up!
vertigo1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2021 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vertigo1Send a Private Message to vertigo1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Rear bank? Not bad. But if it was the front bank... two thumbs up!

BOTH actually! :-D. Twas a nightmare - the rear was previously broken off by the former owner, the front was broken off by me. When I went to extract it, i broke off the EXTRACTOR inside the bolt! Took two days of chiseling with a Dremel but we did it! lol.

------------------
"The last 29 days of the month are the hardest" - Nikola Tesla

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock