3.8 SC swap questions??? by adm927
Started on: 02-05-2018 11:58 PM
Replies: 14 (537 views)
Last post by: PARAD0X on 02-11-2018 02:49 AM
adm927

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2018 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting ready to do a 3.8 swap in my 88GT. Is there a parts list of needed parts and where to get them? I have read tons of posts on the subject and everyone seems to do things differently with different parts. Some from this guy and some from that and some homemade. Etc. Just looking for a good must have parts list and where to get them. Mounts, pulley, alternator relocation bracket etc.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2018 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FieroX used to make the motor mounts. He turned over production to FieroRog. They are excellent quality, heavier than West Coast Fiero mounts, I've used both. Start with the motor mounts. Check my thread, I tried to make it user friendly and document most of what you ask. Good luck.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap
12.840@104.8 MPH Intense-Racing 1.9 rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction SOLD

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap SOLD

adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2018 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your input. Your post was a great read. I learned quite a bit.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2018 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a fairly decent list of the parts, where I got them and the cost from when I did my swap:

You can read details of my swap in my build thread, starting HERE ON PAGE 13 when my engine followed me home from Alabama.

adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2018 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John
Thanks for the list very helpful. The motor mounts were only $100? Do you know how much a full set motor and trans mount costs? I am using the Auto that came with my 1998 Buick riviera donor car.
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2018 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
West Coast Fiero Mounts/Brackets:

$65 Polyurethane Front Engine Mount 1984-1987 P/N MFEM8487
$55 Front Engine Mount Bracket P/N ECMBEB3800
$65 Polyurethane Left Transmission Mount P/N MFT8488-L Auto
$65 Polyurethane Right Transmission Mount P/N MFT8488-R Auto
$85 Transmission Bracket - R/H side late T465E HD Auto P/N EH90TB-RHD
$65 Transmission Bracket - L/H side  Auto P/N EH90TB-L
$140 3800 Dogbone with bracket P/N ECMBDB38000
$272 Alternator Bracket and Idler pulley for '01-'07 Series II and III P/N ECMBAB38
$189 Modified Thermostat Housing Coolant Fill (Rebuild) P/N ECCAWTH3800U
$32 Water Pump Inlet Hose P/N CA913
120 Transmission Shifter Adapter – If Needed Automatic P/N ECCATSA

-Van

[This message has been edited by VanGTP5000 (edited 02-10-2018).]

adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2018 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Van
Thanks for the info. My car is an 88 will those mounts be different?
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2018 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Give FieroRog a call or email him Email: fierorog@gmail.com cell is 319-939-1285 (Copied from his thread). He is fantastic to deal with. He will go over what mounts you need for the engine, and your transmission and can give you a price. The thread for his parts is here.

Here are his lower alternator mount, as well as his combined dog bone / belt tensioner.

VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2018 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by adm927:

Van
Thanks for the info. My car is an 88 will those mounts be different?

Go to the West Coast Fiero site and you should easily be able to see the proper mounts for your application.

-Van

P.S. fierorog makes fantastic stuff!
adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2018 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys! I will contact him.
PARAD0X

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2018 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FieroX sold his kit design to IWANNAIRM, not Fiero Rog. IWANNAIRM has been MIA for a while and is not responding to inquiries about his mounts.

Go with Fiero Rog over WCF. I JUST bought a full kit from Roger (Fiero Rog), who is very knowledgable, and his stuff is made well. They're basically brackets that mount up to the Fiero mounts. You might have to buy poly Fiero mounts from Rodney Dickman, so factor that in as an expense. Fiero Rog makes brackets for the 3800, low alt mounts, F23 mounting brackets, and a few other things.

If you want something a little different, James L Brown (JB1 on here) has started making poly mounts for the 3800. They're full mounts, not brackets. He's also a very good source for harnesses, probably the best at the moment. I'd definitely use JB1 over WCF for anything he sells.

If you comb through the forum, you'll find a ton of threads that talk about how poor the customer service is for West Coast Fieros, and even some that detail design issues like weaker made mounts. I had an issue with them myself as far as not answering questions, and no support after purchase. I can't recommend them in good conscience.

Good luck.
PFF
System Bot
VanGTP5000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2018 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please note that while it may have appeared like an endorsement of West Coast Fiero, I was simply addressing the issue of cost as it relates to the motor mounts. I listed the other parts to give the OP an idea of some items he may not have thought of or considered in his swap. I will just leave it at that.

John
Thanks for the list very helpful. The motor mounts were only $100? Do you know how much a full set motor and trans mount costs? I am using the Auto that came with my 1998 Buick riviera donor car.

-Van
adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2018 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what type of mount bushings would be best? Rubber or poly??? Will the poly ones shake my teeth out??
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2018 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So what type of mount bushings would be best? Rubber or poly??? Will the poly ones shake my teeth out??

Poly will not "Shake your teeth out" but will pass more vibration of the engine to the frame. I personally went with rubber in all of my suspension, as well as mounts to for a bit softer / smoother ride.
PARAD0X

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2018 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Depends on your power goals. Stock unmodded 3800SC will be fine on rubber. You start building it for power and the rubber may not be strong enough. The hard part is finding rubber mounts as most of the guys make poly ones. Fiero Rog told me to buy Rodney’s poly mounts for his brackets due to my eventual power goals.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock