Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Painting, Remove body panels or Not remove body panels ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Painting, Remove body panels or Not remove body panels ? by robert1234
Started on: 01-18-2018 07:00 PM
Replies: 13 (1012 views)
Last post by: VanGTP5000 on 01-26-2018 09:17 AM
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to get new paint on my notchie this summer. But I see some say DONT remove and others say DO remove.
It may take me to summer to figure this out. LOL

If you remove, how long can it take ? 3 days, a week ?

I may have missed some links....not sure.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I sent mine to paint, I told the shop, take as long as you need. That way they can do a better job and not be rushed. It took about a week and 1/2. They did a panel off job, turned out better than I hoped.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 01-18-2018).]

VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Downside to panels off paint job is the inevitable breaking of 30+ year old clips...but TFS has replacements.

Upside to panels off paint job...EVERYTHING ELSE!

-Van
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely panel off ! Especially if your changing he colour. You will never get a great paint job if your changing the colour and don’t do panel off! I did panel off myself and took me over 2 weeks doing it on weekends and at night. Turned out great!
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are going with a color change take them off. If the same color leave them on the car.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
2012 Kia Forte Koup
2017 Kia Forte S

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners
FieroNews Hoodies and T-Shirts

jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2018 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And To clarify I would do Panel off regardless if your changing the colour or not. You will never match the old colour and because the lower skirt and rear lower quarter panels and under rear trunk panel are all covered with door and hood shut your will never get a great paint job

[This message has been edited by jjd2296 (edited 01-18-2018).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I molded mine all together with flares so it was hood off and tailgate doors then paint rest on car.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 01-19-2018).]

J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I say remove the panels, does not that a lot of time. Here are some pics of my car being done.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jgunsett/Last.html

Jack
AWautoworks

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AWautoworksSend a Private Message to AWautoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am a strong believer in panel off paint. There are a lot of people who are agains this, but in my opinion its the only way to properly prep and spray around all the edges. I have been in the Buisness for about 10 years now and I have seen many product failures due to lazieness.
I go as far as to pull off the rear clip as well. I do however leave the front half of the roof on and pull the windshield or molding depending on the shape of the molding or windshield.
here is a pic of one of my current builds. I plan on some paint booth time this weekend to see some color.

robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2018 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome everyone ! I really appreciate all the input on this.

Rob.
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2018 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Panel off--that way everything can be reached by the painter--also gives you a chance to see how your body is doing under the panels. I did mine panel off this summer and car turned out great!

------------------
Pat Jones

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2018 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im one of the naysayers. I only do panel on paint jobs unless the paint job is getting over $7,000. Ive always guaranteed a paint job for as long as you owned the car and took the proper care since I started in the mid 60s. Only thing I dont is rust. Ive never understood the need to paint all the insides of panels on a color change since the only time anyone would see it is disassembled or wrecked. Ive never had a job I couldnt get all the edges and jams properly painted together. I do jams and under panels first, mask, and then paint the exterior. Any noticable paint edges are gone with a few swipes of wet sanding if the buffer dont take them off. If your happy taking them apart for paint, thats not a problem for me. Your just doing unnecessary work and money to me. Also notice a lot of people seem to damage painted parts during reassembly, so they paint them on the car anyway in the end.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2018 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will say that removing this will require a whole bunch of spare parts clips fasteners etc that will be brittle and break it may cost a bit just to unbolt and bolt everything back on if parts have become brittle just be aware of the amount of effort required to line everything back up also thought worth mentioning.
VanGTP5000

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2018 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VanGTP5000Send a Private Message to VanGTP5000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VanGTP5000:

Downside to panels off paint job is the inevitable breaking of 30+ year old clips...but TFS has replacements.

Upside to panels off paint job...EVERYTHING ELSE!

-Van

Great minds think alike Australian.

-Van

[This message has been edited by VanGTP5000 (edited 01-26-2018).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay