ARI Racing Engines?? by heypal
Started on: 01-03-2018 02:49 PM
Replies: 9 (746 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 01-08-2018 01:09 AM
heypal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if there's any advantage to a stroked 2.8, like more hp or torque, as compared to a rebuilt 3.4 that's been bored .030 over. If not, I'd just go straight for the 3.4. It's set up for a crankshaft sensor in the event you ever wanted to upgrade to the 7730 ECM and it has better oiling than the 2.8.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Run, do not walk, run away from any ARI 2.8 3.4.

Find a remanned 3.4 instead.

Yes, I have experience with ARI....sadly.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 01-07-2018).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ARI 3.1 is built in the same manner as any 3.1 is built. It starts out as a 2.8. Different pistons and crank are added, to yield a longer stroke. It's the same way the factory did it, and the same way anyone else building a 3.1 does it.
The 3.4 is a different story. It's that same "stroker" engine, except bored out to yield 3.4 L. The problem with ARI's method is that the cylinder wall thickness of the 2.8 block becomes marginal when bored that far. (GM 3.4 blocks are thicker castngs, from the beginning.)
ARI claims that they test each block, to make sure the cylinder walls will remain thick enough once they are bored.
Regardless, if their 3.4 ever needs a rebuild, there is absolutely no room to bore any larger. Once it's worn out, it's done.

With that said, I have never known anyone who had an ARI engine. There is, however, a 3.4 in one of our club's cars that was (IIRC) built in a similar fashion.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually have a set of their H-beam connecting rods that I ordered for my 3.4.. top quality when received and weighed exact to each other.. but that was all
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I sure like candy!...

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 01-06-2018).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2018 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Additionally, the 2.8 block does not have the improved oiling that GM designed into the 3.4 block.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2018 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Additionally, the 2.8 block does not have the improved oiling that GM designed into the 3.4 block.

Is that true of the 87 and/or 88 blocks, too? I thought the oiling was fixed in the later engines. (Although, I'ts probably a crap shoot, which one you'd get.)
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2018 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Enthusiasts Guide does not mention oiling upgrades to the 87 or 88 V-6.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2018 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Is that true of the 87 and/or 88 blocks, too? I thought the oiling was fixed in the later engines. (Although, I'ts probably a crap shoot, which one you'd get.)

I have a Gen 2 3.1L shortblock I believe to be from a 90s Beretta, and it still has the Fiero-style twin oil galleries intersecting the lifters. The mains are fed the excess oil from the cam bearings.

I think it's hard to talk about the "oiling fix", as if there were only one update during 60°V6 production. Engines are often incrementally given upgrades... I think that as a general rule, one could conclude that the newer, the better.

Will seems to have thought that 88 brought about an oiling upgrade to the crankshaft:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/126014.html#p12

My engine now has a 981 crankshaft. I didn't notice anything special about it, but then I didn't compare it side-to-side with my 1985 Fiero crank.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock