Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  FIERO GT TAIL LIGHT LENSES SCANNED AND PREPARED (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
FIERO GT TAIL LIGHT LENSES SCANNED AND PREPARED by kgoodyear
Started on: 12-28-2017 03:57 PM
Replies: 111 (5111 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 05-10-2018 10:22 PM
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

Just popping in to put in a good word for Slammed's lenses...
If these get made and they are around 400$ for a set I'll be in for sure to have a backup pair of flawless tail lights.

Don't go down that rabbit hole.............
IP: Logged
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As an owner of a GT with poor lenses and a spare set of not so perfect lenses, I would absolutely be interested in a quality reproduction part. That said, I would pay upwards of $500 if the quality was there. I have seen it mentioned in parts of this thread but just want to clarify; these would be fully "dresssed/painted" and ready to install on the car, correct?

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I personally think $200-$250 PER lens would be fair (so $400-500 for a pair). OEM was a lot more.

There are going to be haters and people that think it is too much. Hell there are some people that keep bringing up the "Slammed" think - some people it seems just can't let things go (it's water under the bridge).

I wish you all the best in bringing these to the market and would maybe buy a set as spares.
kgoodyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jfrost:

..... I have seen it mentioned in parts of this thread but just want to clarify; these would be fully "dresssed/painted" and ready to install on the car, correct?

We plan to have clear decorated and clear undecorated lenses. However, there will be a limited run of clear smoke decorated and undecorated lenses available.

Thank you for the feedback. I really do appreciate it.
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

kgoodyear

808 posts
Member since Apr 2014
Thanks for the input Mr. Moose!

Great nom de plume!!!

------------------
Goody

The beauty of a solution lies in its simplicity

FastOwen2XLL

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastOwen2XLLSend a Private Message to FastOwen2XLLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO I think $400-$450 shipped would be the sweet spot for standard lenses.

While mine are not physically damaged, my near perfect set experienced de-lamination while in storage, otherwise this would not be much of an issue for me. Any more than $450 a pair, and I would refinish them as others have done. But at that price point, I would opt to just replace them. No sense in limiting your potential customer base to just those who have lenses that are hopelessly destroyed.

Let me thank you for your efforts, time and money that you have spent thus far. That being said, until someone well known in the Fiero community, Rodney for example, actually sees and will vouch for the quality of the lenses, expect many to be skeptical.

Many have tried, with only a few who actually made a product. I am sure you are aware of those well-documented disasters. Perhaps, getting early examples in the hands of the larger club presidents would also be helpful. I have been attending the GM/Chevy Nats in Carlisle PA for the last 3 years. This of course,is the big show for MAFOA. Walking around you often hear "Where did you get that?" and "How did you do that?" questions being asked. Fiero enthusiasts are probably more willing to 'pass the word' about a great product/vendor than most any other group of car guys/gals out there.

Also, with the 35th Anniversary show coming up, having a presence and something for potential customers to see with their own eyes there would be a big plus.

Marketing thru an established vendor could be good or bad, depending on several factors, the biggest being how much they will mark the lenses up. Rodney and the FS are all well established. Other venders, such as BTR, I would hesitate to use as I have seen them buy products designed and made here and increase the price of them significantly or stop producing all together.

All this is just my .02 for what its worth!

- Lloyd

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lloyd,

Thanks for some great feedback. You have certainly mentioned things we are anticipating and a couple of things we haven't--yet. Several of the suggestions I really can't discuss except to say my mission, should we proceed, is to keep my frugal Fiero friends in mind and produce a quality lens.

------------------
Goody

2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2018 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with most on here 400 - 500 would probably be the most I could see paying for lenses. I hope you can make it happen!!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2018 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kgoodyear:

Lloyd,

Thanks for some great feedback. You have certainly mentioned things we are anticipating and a couple of things we haven't--yet. Several of the suggestions I really can't discuss except to say my mission, should we proceed, is to keep my frugal Fiero friends in mind and produce a quality lens.

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2018 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing that has always amazed me about this place...... How so many people bash any effort to better the restoration of these cars, bash what they are worth and bash the Fiero itself but have praise for the junk Northstar. Why do some of you even own a Fiero?

My hat goes off to the OP and anyone else willing to put the effort out to make these much needed parts to keep these cars alive.

As far as the cost..... With some used GT tail lamps doing as high as $1000.00 a set in recent years, I think $400.00 - $600.00 a pair for an exact reproduction outer lens certainly would not be out of line.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 01-04-2018).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2018 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that that $1K includes the housings.
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2018 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes
kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2018 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to be clear here: The project is for the lenses ONLY. This does not include the reflector or the Fresnel lens. In most cases, I have found these parts to be in acceptable or repairable condition.

I think it would be a good venture for someone to come up with a way to repair those tabs that break that hold the sheet metal nuts that hold those funky screws.

------------------
Goody

[This message has been edited by kgoodyear (edited 01-04-2018).]

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2018 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

kgoodyear

808 posts
Member since Apr 2014

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

I think $400.00 - $600.00 a pair for an exact reproduction outer lens certainly would not be out of line.

While I understand what you mean ThunderStruck, there are places for subtle improvements over the OEM lens so exact .... not exactly. A couple of improvements are in the works. Essentially, you won't know the improvements unless you know what to look for.

------------------
Goody

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2018 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

kgoodyear

808 posts
Member since Apr 2014

I'm glad you surfaced on this thread. I was looking forward to your input. I'll put you down for $300->$400.

------------------
Goody

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Don't go down that rabbit hole.............

I love how you didn't include the rest of my statement saying how they have held up very well and that you should take her advice on how to make them... Obviously not talking about the other issues that went on. You must be taking lessons fake news CNN with selective quoting 😂

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a GT owner, I would be interested in a set. Much over $250 would put it out of realistic range for me though.

Not that they are not WORTH more, but if I was going to spend that much, I would probably go another route, such as a Corvette style panel. (I know this would be more, but that's what I would do)

But regardless of price, I truly hope to see a replacement solution for a much needed part. I'll be watching the thread with high hopes for a finished product.

Tim
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
People with little or no interest in originality would be hard pressed to pay anything for anything original. NOS or repop.

But then.... Reproduction parts for any vehicle made are never geared towards anyone not interested in restoring a vehicle back to original. That is why they are called RE-production. Otherwise they would be called custom made parts and there is enough of that out in the market made as cheap as you want to be.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 01-05-2018).]

kgoodyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kgoodyearSend a Private Message to kgoodyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
Goody

[This message has been edited by kgoodyear (edited 01-05-2018).]

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

People with little or no interest in originality would be hard pressed to pay anything for anything original. NOS or repop.

Not necessarily true, unless I'm misunderstanding your comment.
I'm one of those people who can't leave anything stock. But these lenses (especially tinted ones) are of interest to me.
PFF
System Bot
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Not necessarily true, unless I'm misunderstanding your comment.
I'm one of those people who can't leave anything stock. But these lenses (especially tinted ones) are of interest to me.

Exactly my thoughts
Strappado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StrappadoSend a Private Message to StrappadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm genuinely impressed this thread hasn't become hostile or full of antagonists yet.
Historically the negativity and nay sayers build quickly. I mean that in a good way, its nice to see.

I am definitely interested in a set.
I think a 300-400 /set price point is realistic from a client point of view. It shouldn't deter anyone who actually wants a set.

Good luck. I hope this plan works out for you... and for us all.
Cheers
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Strappado:

I'm genuinely impressed this thread hasn't become hostile or full of antagonists yet.

Cheers

That's because the OP didn't come here and promise us parts within a couple of months and a dedicated website that would sell it. He is in fact not sure and needs feedback: ". . . this will determine first if I will go forward with the project or abandon the project due to lack of interest."

Finally, he at least posted some pictures of scans to show that he has actually done some work.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Watching and praying it works out. Like many others I would love to see this work out.
Lafiero357

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2018 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lafiero357Send a Private Message to Lafiero357Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Waiting and watching with interest as well . Hope this turns out well for you .
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2018 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This sounds like a good product to come out with but we've heard about new products on this forum over and over again and in many cases the individuals failed to deliver. I am not implying that you are one of these people . All I would ask is that if you offer them for sale they would be available. Still waiting to hear from the guy that said that Corvette style C4 taillight panels would be made.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

MRBLUE87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2018 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MRBLUE87Send a Private Message to MRBLUE87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be in for two sets at $350-$400 per pair. I am down to 3 decent but not perfect used ones. Have been selling them for $200 - $300 each side depending on condition but since these are my last ones I may have to go higher as I might want to save them for future use on my two fastbacks. Those that I have sold I have asked for the old ones as cores hoping that eventually new lenses would become available to assemble ready to install units. I have a small collection of these used housings.
WhiteLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2018 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteLightningSend a Private Message to WhiteLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are we there yet? I need a passenger side lense quickly. LOL. My passenger side could be your test goat if you like. But I warn you I will be tinting the inside of the taillight part before installing to match the driver's side. Looks better to me during the daytime with everything blacked out except for the PONTIAC lit up bright by LEDs. Let me know what current status is please. Thanks.
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2018 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. Anything new on development?
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2018 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2tone86gt:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/098136.html
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2018 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2tone86gt:

Yes, check one of the other threads
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave