Looking at getting an 84 fiero, a few questions to follow by Gutchee
Started on: 12-21-2017 05:36 PM
Replies: 2 (204 views)
Last post by: David Hambleton on 12-22-2017 08:07 PM
Gutchee

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2017 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GutcheeSend a Private Message to GutcheeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Few things
1- Im new to forums so i may be a bit rough at this
2- I would like to know a few things about what i should know about the 84 fiero.

I found a classified ad for 2 84 fiero's (1 being fully functional with bad tires and the other a parts car). He mentions he originally got them from another deal and was planning on modding them but life got in the way and wants to sell them. He was asking $1500 (CAD) for both and he said he was willing to take $1000. so thats the info now what i should know.

1- what kind of things should i look for when checking the cars.
2- What kind of things should i do to the cars saying i get them.

Thanks for any responses
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2017 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look for rust.

If they haven't run for a while, that'll need to be dealt with. Check the coolant tubes along the sides behind the rocker panels.

Search on here for preflight checklist.
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2017 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also it's hard to see the paint for the snow, lol; unless you can it paint yourself if it needs it, that might be a significant expense.

I've had an '84 SE 4 speed since new, it has 377,750 km on it now. It's a daily driver except in wet salty conditions.
The trunk corners & battery tray and surrounding area have been repaired and the front cross member replaced due to rust.

For me as a buyer, the structural integrity and paint would be most important. The rest of the stuff is fairly cheaply replaceable.
For its 30th birthday, the '84 got 2 new $30 seats and an excellent replacement $70 dash from the same local source as the cross member.

I vacuumed up most of what was formerly a bracket:

I installed these brackets: https://www.fierostore.com/...7%20%20%20%20%20PAIR to a really good cross member from a local wrecker.

The (mostly missing) battery support:

Here's the cobbled up replacement battery tray:

"New" seats & dash:

In 2011 I got a red '86 coupe 2.5L 5 speed with 106,700 km on it for $800. (Drove it 70 km home.)
It was very solid with very good paint but in need of cosmetic TLC... (and a head gasket, then another engine, but that's another story).

In 2008 I got an '88 Formula 5 speed in showroom condition with 5200 km on it for $10,000. So here's the trio: (be careful what you start!)

p.s. For me, a factory service manual has proven invaluable over the years. Also available here: https://www.fierostore.com/...0%20%20%20%2084PRINT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock