roof panel noise by Kent Dellenbusch
Started on: 11-25-2017 04:34 PM
Replies: 5 (298 views)
Last post by: Kent Dellenbusch on 11-27-2017 07:53 PM
Kent Dellenbusch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2017 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kent DellenbuschSend a Private Message to Kent DellenbuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question for anyone who has had a roof rattle.
My 88 Mera has had a noise that I believe is coming from the roof panel. When driving and going over some bumps it is pretty pronounced. Has any one injected a sealant or adhesive under the panel from the back of the roof line? It would have have a very low viscosity to make it through a syringe and small bore tubing.

Is there a way to lift the panel a tad-bit as to not interrupt the rain channel? I do not want to break the seal on the top of the windshield.
Thanks for your help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the Mera have drip rails like a Fiero? They can be noisy when the body flexes. Usually they can be removed and cleaned.
Kent Dellenbusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kent DellenbuschSend a Private Message to Kent DellenbuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does,
They are black and pretty tight. I have my Mera pictures under Mera rims. A post I did a number of weeks ago. I'll assume we are talking about the same thing. My roof panel seems loose.
Kent Dellenbusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kent DellenbuschSend a Private Message to Kent DellenbuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kent Dellenbusch

40 posts
Member since Sep 2013
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After I did my notch-to-fastback conversion, my roof panel squeaked a bit. Haven't noticed it in a while, however.
If you want to lift the rear edge of the roof, you'll have to take out the headliner. There are some 10mm hex head machine screws that hold the roof panel down.
They may be "off color" just a bit (anodized?) They don't look like any of the other fasteners, under there. I think there are three along the rear, one or two on each side, and two or three along the front. They are around what would be the sunroof opening, if your car had a sunroof.

Be very careful when you lift the back edge of the roof. it's very easy to crack your roof panel on the sides, or at the windshield pillars. Don't ask me how I know this.

If you can lift it just a bit, you can squirt some butyl rubber or something under the edges.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-27-2017).]

Kent Dellenbusch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2017 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kent DellenbuschSend a Private Message to Kent DellenbuschEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This will help a lot.
Now how to take out the headliner?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock