Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Paint Opinions ( What should be painted, What shouldn't Be)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Paint Opinions ( What should be painted, What shouldn't Be) by Phirewire
Started on: 11-13-2017 12:08 AM
Replies: 3 (334 views)
Last post by: Phirewire on 11-14-2017 01:38 AM
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I am in the process of body working my 86, and have done some basic disassembly. Hood, Trunk at minimum are removed for painting. And I've been considering painting the underside of the hood and trunk. Now the Engine bay is still stock, but I was considering also spraying the front compartment body color as well ( where the headlights are not area with booster). Do you think this would be to much?

Color will be a dark gray metallic for the full car. To much Dark gray? do a fresh coat of black? or maybe a light gray?

Whats your opinion, its not a show car it is daily driven and will not be professionally sprayed.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when it comes to maintenace the not painting the underside is better than painting it. you can easily clean it with a cleaner than deal with water spots on a painted surface.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2017 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is some information that I posted in a very similar thread here.
To prep the car properly, you will want to:
  • Remove the drip rails (Tutorial I did here)
  • If possible, and if you are looking to replace them anyways, remove the quarter windows / wing windows.
  • Remove the reflectors inside the bumper, all marker lights and tail lights (Take a screwdriver to the shop to remove the tail lights, you will need those to drive it there)
  • Remove the headlight doors.
  • Remove the plastic cowl (Under the windshield wipers).
  • Remove the gas cap surround and door
  • If equipped, remove the sunroof and tracks.
  • Remove all the body molding all the way around the car (unless you want it body color)
  • Remove the side view mirrors
  • Remove the spoiler
  • Remove the trunk seal and plastic clips covering the tail light screws
  • Remove the antennae
  • Remove any stickers and emblems (Nose emblem, 2M4/6 on the rear ect.)

For that extra touch, I had my windshield removed and new molding installed when put back in. The windshield gasket is one of the first places to look to tell if a car has been repainted.

I also highly recommend getting new mirror gaskets, spoiler gaskets, nose emblem, rear stickers, side markers and such to install when the paint is done. Its surprising how bad old molding, stickers and trim looks on a brand new paint job! All of these items can be purchased from the Fiero Store.

Now is also a good time to upgrade the marker lights while you have them off. Here is a tutorial I did that is super cheap and easy.

I also painted under my decklid and hood in body color. It really tied the whole paint job together in my opinion. As for water spots, you can just as easily get them on the black plastic under the front and back, as when they are painted. I actually find it MUCH easier to wipe dirt and crud off the painted surface than on the mat black plastic.

Here is a photo of the engine bay in my car. I like the reflection of the engine in the paint -vs- the dull black
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2017 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Here is some information that I posted in a very similar thread here.
To prep the car properly, you will want to:
  • Remove the drip rails (Tutorial I did here)
  • If possible, and if you are looking to replace them anyways, remove the quarter windows / wing windows.
  • Remove the reflectors inside the bumper, all marker lights and tail lights (Take a screwdriver to the shop to remove the tail lights, you will need those to drive it there)
  • Remove the headlight doors.
  • Remove the plastic cowl (Under the windshield wipers).
  • Remove the gas cap surround and door
  • If equipped, remove the sunroof and tracks.
  • Remove all the body molding all the way around the car (unless you want it body color)
  • Remove the side view mirrors
  • Remove the spoiler
  • Remove the trunk seal and plastic clips covering the tail light screws
  • Remove the antennae
  • Remove any stickers and emblems (Nose emblem, 2M4/6 on the rear ect.)

For that extra touch, I had my windshield removed and new molding installed when put back in. The windshield gasket is one of the first places to look to tell if a car has been repainted.

I also highly recommend getting new mirror gaskets, spoiler gaskets, nose emblem, rear stickers, side markers and such to install when the paint is done. Its surprising how bad old molding, stickers and trim looks on a brand new paint job! All of these items can be purchased from the Fiero Store.

Now is also a good time to upgrade the marker lights while you have them off. Here is a tutorial I did that is super cheap and easy.

I also painted under my decklid and hood in body color. It really tied the whole paint job together in my opinion. As for water spots, you can just as easily get them on the black plastic under the front and back, as when they are painted. I actually find it MUCH easier to wipe dirt and crud off the painted surface than on the mat black plastic.

Here is a photo of the engine bay in my car. I like the reflection of the engine in the paint -vs- the dull black

Thanks for advice. Especially drip rail did not know it was that easy to remove. Haven't completely decided on what I want to do with the windshield. Since the car came red and I am doing a complete color change. My only doubt about painting under trunk and hood is, it is not a show car nor do I want i perceived as such. Though at the same time It would stand out a lot more at events.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock