Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  [Tutorial] Easy and cheap LED side marker lights.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

[Tutorial] Easy and cheap LED side marker lights. by JohnWPB
Started on: 09-20-2010 11:39 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: donnie072003 on 09-21-2010 08:07 AM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
I went to Auto Zone tonight to get a couple of light bulbs for the ash tray's and the light behind the A/C controls. While I was there I ran across these neat little White LED strips I have seen others mention them, but no details on how to install them ect.

With that, I figured I would take some pictures and make a small tutorial while I was doing it myself anyways.

The LED strips were $19.99 at Auto Zone, and comes with two 12 inch strips (2x 30.5 cm). This is enough for 2 of the marker lights, with some small sections left over if you want to solder wires to them and use the left over pieces. They are marked where you can cut the strips to what every length you want.

The hardest part of the whole thing is removing the back from the side marker lights. I hear the ones from the factory are really hard to get apart. I purchased new ones from the Fiero Store, and they were actually fairly easy to separate, as it was a rubberized glue holding it together.

After separating the back of the marker lights, I cut the LED strip on one of the cut lines. It is just a hair to long, but I would rather have that then the LED's not reach all the way to the end of the marker lights. I had about 3 inches left over after cutting it to fit the side marker. In the photo below, you can see the small section I cut off of the end.

I then removed the double sided tape from the back of the LED strip, and mounted it centered on the back plate. I planned it so the 2 center LED's lined up directly in the clearer part of the lens on the front.

Next, I made a small notch in the ridge running around the lens. This way the rubber connector on the end of the LED strip sits down in far enough for the back plate to go back on all the way up against the front molding piece.

I then looped the wire back towards the center of the side marker, and ran it through the hole where the original bulb mounted.

Lastly all that was needed was to reassemble the side marker, putting the back plate onto the front molding with the lens in it.

Here it is, all re-assembled, and lit up.

All in all it was quite easy to do, and is certainly cheap enough at $10 per marker light.

If you find this useful, feel free to toss a rating my way

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 09-21-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kkavmann69

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kkavmann69Send a Private Message to kkavmann69Direct Link to This Post
Awesome post. I'll have to try this soon.
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
Wow looks like a familiar posting.
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donnie072003:

Wow looks like a familiar posting.

Yeah randye was the first to pull this mod off, he posted it up several months ago.

Still congrats on the addition !
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Do they flash?
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Yeah randye was the first to pull this mod off, he posted it up several months ago.
!

Yikes, I did not realize he is selling a kit for these, I sure do not want to step on anyone's toes here!

The tutorial I put together is for a true "do it yourselfer". His solution is a nice kit, that is truly "Plug N' Play". If you do not want to try to wire everything up yourself, I recommend his kit for a much easier install.

As for the front markers flashing with the turn signals: The way the Fiero is set up originally with a dual element bulb, you would need a bridge rectifier in place to separate the voltage when the turn signals are on. I didn't cover that in this tutorial, as I did not get this far yet with actually installing them

donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
There is a write up to fix this in the Ogre's cave. I have it printed out at home to try but haven't gotten that far yet either.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock